View Single Post
Old 07-26-2010, 07:42 PM   #19
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Awesome View Post
From the perspective of a faster amateur rider, I do NOT want a slow rider to try to help me pass them. As I approach a slower rider, I already know exactly what I am going to do to get around them when I get there. When riders alter their line, look behind and slow down, or do anything else that is unpredictable, it changes the situation from a calculated maneuver to an educated guess. Educated guesses can end badly if one or both of the riders guess wrong. Some of the closest calls I ever had were scenarios exactly like this.

When slower riders do this, it's often because the faster rider caught them in a spot they personally find difficult/impossible to pass in, therefore they have no idea what the faster rider is about to do to get around them. To execute the pass, the faster rider is counting on the slower one to maintain a predictable race line. If the slower rider becomes aware of the presence of the faster rider and tries to "give up" to allow the faster rider by, they can easily create a collision scenario.

The best thing a slow rider can do for everyone else on the track is to ignore what's behind them and ride in a predictable and controlled manner.
This.

You are better off, if you are slower, to simply maintain your predictable course of travel. And, for the love of all that's holy, don't drag race on the straight when they actually DO pass you.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote