View Single Post
Old 09-25-2009, 08:33 PM   #28
Sean
giggity

Moto: street, sumo & dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
You do have the Aprilia SXV 4.5 or Husqvarna SM450R. I hear they both like to break a lot and parts take forever to get though. You could always get a used 450 four stroke dirtbike someone has supermotoed and registered. Keep in mind with any of the above bikes you will have maintenance out the ass (trans and crankcase oil changes every 2.5-5 hours, valve adjustments every 10-15 hours, rebuilds every 75-150 hours for the dirtbikes). Call me a glutton for punishment but I want one anyway.
While maintenance is frequent, oil change intervals on the Husky are closer to 8-10 hours, valve adjustments are officially 20 hours but mine have never been out of spec, and I know of one 450 Husky that's gone 10k miles without a rebuild. Mine is running 2000 miles on the current top end and is showing no signs of wear, that's about 200 hours. Husky motors are way more stout than most MX bikes.

Aprilia doesn't quite have their act together yet though, probably half of those things are basket cases. I pitted next to an Aprilia dealer at a track once and he told me never to buy one
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote