View Single Post
Old 09-15-2009, 09:10 PM   #154
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Because my sources are respected professionals from the canine community and yours were not anywhere close to it. Given the population of PB's, the power they wield, the type of owner they attract etc I believe 15-20% is a much closer number than your 50%+. There are also numerous links backing up the extensive research of the sources I quoted.

I never said there wasn't a Pit Bull problem, there is indeed a very large Pit Bull problem...I just don't believe it lies in the dog's genetic makeup. I never said Pit Bulls weren't capable of killing humans. I said the numbers have been greatly exaggerated and the whole story isn't being told.

Yes, I have seen many episodes of the Dog Whisperer where Cesar "goes up against an aggressive Pit Bull" Milan also owns numerous Pit Bulls including the old one "Daddy" that used to be Redman's dog. Daddy is personal protection trained BTW.

Consider:
My study of fatal attacks occurring over the past five decades has identified the poor ownership/management practices involved in the overwhelming majority of these incidents: owners obtaining dogs, and maintaining them as resident dogs outside of the household for purposes other than as family pets (i.e. guarding/ protection, fighting, intimidation/status); owners failing to humanely contain, control and maintain their dogs (chained dogs, loose roaming dogs, cases of abuse/neglect); owners failing to knowledgably supervise interaction between children and dogs; and owners failing to spay or neuter resident dogs not used for competition, show, or in a responsible breeding program.
http://nationalcanineresearchcouncil.com/ncrc-research/

And from the CDC:
Dr. Randall Lockwood, one of the authors of the CDC’s “Breeds of Dogs,” as well as a member of the AVMA Task Force, submitted an affidavit in 2007 in opposition to the breed ban currently in effect in Denver, Colorado. He stated, in part: “Focusing on a single breed as the ‘source’ of the dog bite problem reflects a 19th century epidemiological mindset that attempts to identify the vector of a public health problem and eliminate that vector. . . The dog bite problem is not a disease problem with a single vector, it is a complex societal issue that must address a wide range of human behaviors in ways that deal with irresponsible behavior that puts people and animals at risk.”
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird

Last edited by Kaneman; 09-15-2009 at 09:14 PM..
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote