View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 12:19 AM   #67
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasternyou929 View Post
Don't know why but this thread randomly popped into my head today. I'm no boating expert (as I'm about to prove), but wouldn't 19" of forward motion per rotation give you a better wholeshot and pop a skier out of the water quicker? I am definitely missing something though, because by that definition a 19" would provide better accelleration AND higher top speed than a 17" rather than a trade-off.

I assume there are some fluid dynamics that come into play similar to HP and Torque, I'm just having trouble visualizing which pitch favors which.
If the engine wasn't fighting against friction and mass you would be right. With those in play the 19" is going to accelerate slower and take longer to get up on plane.

To compare it to something you are more familiar with look at motorcycles. Using the same logic 6th gear (19") would give better acceleration and top speed than 1st (17") since 6th gives more forward motion per rotation than 1st. For essentially the same reasons as a boat accelerating the mass of the bike and overcoming friction means this is not the case.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote