Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Track

Old 06-29-2010, 09:57 PM   #1
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Default NJMP report 6/28

Wound up having a great day today. Learned a lot and tweaked my body position so its not as bad on my knees.

The day didnt start off too hot. First session was a clusterfuck, knees started hurting after a few laps, my head wasnt in it and just felt lost out there. was more interested in watching an airplane take off then making a turn. Second session was a little better, at least I knew where I was this time around and rode a little better but was getting tired quickly so I just relegated myself to riding fast for a few laps then pitting out.

Durring lunch I had my suspension set up. Made some twists and turns and altered my riding geometry due to the tire wear I had. he said it would make the bike turn in faster and would be a bit more flickable. I took it easy next session out and was altered a few things with my body position after something our instructor said in the classroom. After a lap or 2 a CR caught up to me and had me follow him for a few laps then waved me ahead and i rode a few decent laps. We tracked each other down afterwards and he gave me some good info, esp how i was realy dropping anchor on a few turns.

So we head out again and I make it a point to brake less or not at all on a few turns and its working well and I wind up mixing it up with a few guys and rode some good laps. my last few sessions were by far my best of the year. I was able to take all the classroom stuff and advice I got from our instructor and control riders and put it to use.

What I realy like with the instructors with TTD are how they realy stress the use of reference points and finding more of them and using them as opposed to just riding by feel. I was able to apply a lotof what I learned today prety quickly and see where i need to find more reference points. I was able to learn a lot about t-bolt today but can also apply that knowledge to other tracks.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:14 PM   #2
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Sounds good man. Glad things came together.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:21 PM   #3
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

which track did you run? If it was thunderbolt, how did you handle the long left right before the quick chicane that leads into the straight i still have yet to get that left turn down, the patches in the road throw me off. Also did they add in the 2 other chicanes, back to back after the straightaway
Old 06-29-2010, 11:38 PM   #4
Full Throttle
~Italian Stallion~

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF-R6

I just watched a few videos of motorcycles on that track and it looks fun as shit. Im going to have to trailer up there sometime.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:33 AM   #5
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
which track did you run? If it was thunderbolt, how did you handle the long left right before the quick chicane that leads into the straight i still have yet to get that left turn down, the patches in the road throw me off. Also did they add in the 2 other chicanes, back to back after the straightaway
it was t-bolt. They ran only the second chicaine after the straight, they used the first chicaine to pit in onto the track. Most MC orgs only use the second chicaine, at least the times I have been there. I am not sure if ama uses both.

On the back leading to the straight, do you mean those 2 little s turns or the big triple apex right witht he decreasing radius turn into the left? if thats what you mean, they had a totaly different line through there compared to what I had seen other times I was there. They had a few cheater marks on the track itself for us to use. My first 2 sessions i was like wtf are they thinking using a line like that, I tried it a few times with near disasterous results LOL When they explained it in the classroom it all made sense. In the end I was still a bit off line but knew where I had to be and was working on a few more ref points.

For that left they had an X on the entrance too, it was prety far to the left of the track, what I would do is hit the x then you run it out to the right a little then come back in to the left and prety much ride over the curbing. If you hit it right you miss all the patchwork. Ant those patches have plenty of grip so not to worry if you go over them.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:34 AM   #6
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Throttle View Post
I just watched a few videos of motorcycles on that track and it looks fun as shit. Im going to have to trailer up there sometime.
LMK if ya do at least Ican prolly keep up with ya on my gsxr
Old 06-30-2010, 07:43 AM   #7
Full Throttle
~Italian Stallion~

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF-R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
LMK if ya do at least Ican prolly keep up with ya on my gsxr
Never done a track day so you would be the vet in that market but it wouldnt take me long to get used to it. ask anyone who was at the rally,

Last edited by Full Throttle; 06-30-2010 at 07:47 AM..
Full Throttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:04 AM   #8
t-homo
WSB Champion

lol.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:07 AM   #9
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Throttle View Post
Never done a track day so you would be the vet in that market but it wouldnt take me long to get used to it. ask anyone who was at the rally,
I have seen some guys go from beginner class to intermediate in their first day and some make advanced in as little as 3 days. God I hate those people
Old 06-30-2010, 02:30 PM   #10
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Yep, thats the set of turns I was thinking of. I kept running wide to avoid the patches, then would try and stay on line but would wind up crossing the race line. It was more a mental thing for me with the patches, im used to avoiding other colored sections on the street, them that pops up and screwed me up. Toward the middle of the day i had it down and moved up to intermediate but lost the line on the next to last session and was bumped back down to beginner
derf is offline   Reply With Quote