Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 06-08-2009, 08:15 PM   #1
was92v
Nowhere Man

Default I tried a Motard last week

Well, my buds talked me into riding one of their Motard bikes last week (really it was one of the wives bike). I haven't ridden many dirt or DP bikes and I'd never been on one with street tires, wheels and brakes.

We rode about 50 miles in Western NC around Fontana and the Gap thru gnarly little back roads and then rung them out on 129 from Yellow Creek back to the DG motel. I really enjoyed the ride, it reminded me of the way it was when I first started riding. Good fun, decent power, pretty good handling and brakes, but mostly just fun, because you can ride any type road. The front felt a bit skittish after riding sport bikes, but I figured out pretty quick that the fix is sit on the tank and screw on the throttle. It also made my CBR feel as smooth as a Cadillac after thumping around on a single. I had a good time riding the thing.
was92v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:29 PM   #2
JARVIS518
BOOBS!!

Moto: 06 CBR 600RR

havent had the chance to ride one yet, but am seriously considering one for my next bike
JARVIS518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:37 PM   #3
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Did you inhale?

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:37 AM   #4
pdog
Refugee

Moto: Pimped 2005 SV650

After riding one for the last year, I'm moving back to an SV. After owning 6 bikes of various engine configs, I'm really understanding the draw of the 90 degree Twin. The motard is fun to ride but the thumper just isn't an engine I enjoy.
pdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:38 AM   #5
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

I wanna ride one. They certainly look like a blast to ride.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:57 AM   #6
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Too cool, you gonna pick one up?
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:10 AM   #7
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdog View Post
After riding one for the last year, I'm moving back to an SV. After owning 6 bikes of various engine configs, I'm really understanding the draw of the 90 degree Twin. The motard is fun to ride but the thumper just isn't an engine I enjoy.
I agree, having the DRZ is nice, but without the option of full on dirt like mine has, it wouldn't be a bike I would keep. It's highly uncomfortable, get on any road at about 55 mph speed limit or above and you are now battling cars instead of easily passing them like on a sport bike because these things just don't perform above 65. Add to that fact that they are beat the living shit out of you, it's just not a good all around bike. It's a fun toy if you got cash to spare on a bike you won't use a lot, but I wouldn't make it my only bike. One thing I noticed is I have seen a lot of people drawn to these bikes because of the hooliganism aspect of it, just to see these same bikes on craigslist/local forums not a few months after they bought them once they realized it wasn't a good only bike option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:52 PM   #8
Yamerhaw
Country Boy

Moto: 07 R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I agree, having the DRZ is nice, but without the option of full on dirt like mine has, it wouldn't be a bike I would keep. It's highly uncomfortable, get on any road at about 55 mph speed limit or above and you are now battling cars instead of easily passing them like on a sport bike because these things just don't perform above 65. Add to that fact that they are beat the living shit out of you, it's just not a good all around bike. It's a fun toy if you got cash to spare on a bike you won't use a lot, but I wouldn't make it my only bike. One thing I noticed is I have seen a lot of people drawn to these bikes because of the hooliganism aspect of it, just to see these same bikes on craigslist/local forums not a few months after they bought them once they realized it wasn't a good only bike option.

yeah, i have to buddies that just bought aprilias, and they dont like them already, had them for less than a month,

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.
Yamerhaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:17 PM   #9
zed
yellow don't corner well

Moto: 06 ZX10R

don't know why but I would like to have one too as an aditional bike. I don't like the 250's though. not enough power.
zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:08 PM   #10
was92v
Nowhere Man

The one I rode was 650 Suzuki. Not a power house, but strong enough to get around on. It would cruise along at 75 just fine. If I had the money to have an additional fun bike I would think about getting one, but not ever as my only ride.
was92v is offline   Reply With Quote