Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 07-21-2011, 07:43 AM   #1
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Default Aprilia Futura RIP )4/25/03- 07/21/11

Its a sad day in my garage, its time to put the old steed down seems yet another VR is on its way out and with the bike needing a bunch of other things its just not worth it to continue.

A few weeks back karen gave me the green light to get something new if it got to this point, so here we are.

I am going to start brainstorming but most of you know I will be looking for a sport tourer or something along those lines. I am looking for input and any possible deals/hookups with dealers to help my decision.

A few things I am considering.

Sprint GT- seems like a nice ride, a bit more cramped than the aprilia unless I can lower the pegs just a bit

Ninja 1000- heard good things but vibrations may be an issue, theres a kawi demo day next week in jersey so I will go there and ride that as well as the connie

Yamaha- possible the fjr or an fz1. I like the fjr but may be too big/heavy for a daily commuter which will be its primary function and I will see about the fz1 as far as touring goes.

Honda- I hate the new vfr and wont pay 17k for one, perhaps if I stumble upon an older one I would consider it. Also the NT 750 the st1300 baby brother

Moto guzzi- I may give the Norge a look, I recently heard they updated it so i amy consider it.

Any other suggestions will be taken into consideration.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:00 AM   #2
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Try out a 800GS or the new Triumph Tiger for shits and giggles. You may find something surprisingly sporty and have the option of hooliganism off road. Plus, they aren't bad touring get ups.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:06 AM   #3
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Try out a 800GS or the new Triumph Tiger for shits and giggles. You may find something surprisingly sporty and have the option of hooliganism off road. Plus, they aren't bad touring get ups.
I demoed the 1050, seat hight is nice but wasnt used to the handlebars being so high. I will also give the bmw's a look.

Almost wish ths happened yesterday since I had tons of time to kill to research stuff.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:10 AM   #4
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

I have a friend in Virginia selling a last-gen VFR if you are interested. I don't remember the miles or price, but I can get the info if you like.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:13 AM   #5
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
I demoed the 1050, seat hight is nice but wasnt used to the handlebars being so high. I will also give the bmw's a look.

Almost wish ths happened yesterday since I had tons of time to kill to research stuff.
The 1050 is a whole other animal from the new more dirt capable 800 tiger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Old 07-21-2011, 08:22 AM   #6
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

What Triumph does your boy Chris ride? You ever rode it?

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:23 AM   #7
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
The 1050 is a whole other animal from the new more dirt capable 800 tiger.
the sales guy told me that, he wa sgoing to have me ride the 800 too but we ran out of time. There are zero off road options here on LI so thats not a big consideration for me.

Youre kind of on the taller side so LMK what you think about this. Goin gfrom a sport bike to the bmw which probably has a rather similar seating position to the 1050 how did yo ufeel withthe bars being tha tmuch higher and feeling youre sitting that much higher on the bike
Old 07-21-2011, 08:24 AM   #8
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
What Triumph does your boy Chris ride? You ever rode it?
he has the sprint ST. I iwll try to meet him this week for soem seat time too
Old 07-21-2011, 08:28 AM   #9
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
Youre kind of on the taller side so LMK what you think about this. Goin gfrom a sport bike to the bmw which probably has a rather similar seating position to the 1050 how did yo ufeel withthe bars being tha tmuch higher and feeling youre sitting that much higher on the bike
I love the seating position of the BMW over the sportbike. It's much much more comfortable with the high bars giving you a more upright riding position. You can ride a lot longer and feel a lot less shitty after getting off the bike. I probably will never go back to a sport bike, I will probably get a motard, but that also has the high bar upright seating position.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:29 AM   #10
KSGregman
Get Fit...or Get OUT

Moto: 07 M109-R

Give the Concours 14 a go....I'm looking to get one next Spring. Comfortable touring rig and PLENTY of "sport" for the twisties.
KSGregman is offline   Reply With Quote