Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 05-20-2010, 01:48 PM   #1
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6
Default Even Male Antelopes Lie to Females.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0519112618.htm

Quote:
Male Antelopes Deceive Females to Increase Their Chances of Mating
enlarge

Topi antelopes. (Credit: Dr. Jakob Bro-Jorgenson)ScienceDaily (May 19, 2010) — Scientists at the University of Liverpool have discovered that male topi antelopes deceive their female counterparts in order to increase their chances of mating.

The study of topi antelopes in Kenya's Masai Mara National Reserve Park found that male antelopes s-nort and look intently ahead if an ovulating female begins to stray from their territory. This type of behaviour suggests to the female that there is predator danger ahead. Typical predators of the topi include lions, cheetahs, leopards and humans. When scientists examined the behaviour closely they discovered that the male antelope's s-nort and intent look were a false call made to keep the female in his vicinity and there was no danger nearby. Rather than risk any danger of a predator the female stays within the male antelope's territory, which increases his chances of mating with her.

This type of intentional deception of a sexual partner has not been documented before in animals. Previous studies have shown that animals do deceive each other but mainly in hostile situations or to protect themselves. For example, the plover bird feigns injury in a -- `broken wing display'- in order to stop a predator finding their nest; certain bird species use false alarm calls to distract competitors away from food sources; male vervet monkeys use false alarms to dissolve conflicts between groups, and chimpanzees make false alarm calls to fool rivals and thereby gain access to mates.

The research, carried out by carried out by Dr Jakob Bro-Jorgensen at the University of Liverpool and Wiline Pangle at Michigan State University, studied the topi antelope over a four year period. Dr Bro-Jorgensen said: "Our study showed that males quite frequently pull this trick on the females in heat and one might ask why females keep responding to alarms at all. The answer seems to be that females are better off erring on the side of caution, because failing to react to a true alarm could easily mean death in a place like the Masai Mara where it is full of predators."

"This study reveals a new weapon used by animals in the battle of the sexes: whilst it is well known that males sometimes use their superior strength to force unwilling females, it is a new discovery that they may also actively falsify signals to get their own way."
Old 05-20-2010, 01:50 PM   #2
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Sneaky bastards.

JC
Old 05-20-2010, 02:36 PM   #3
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

see honey I lie because it was handed down through evolution. even animals do it. LOL have to remember that excuse. LOL
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:05 PM   #4
Rider
Moto GP Star

Males lie to trick women into mating with them? Get out of here. No way! It's all lies.

Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:56 PM   #5
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:34 AM   #6
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

I'm wondering if the people of Kenya figured this out yet?

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:57 AM   #7
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
I'm wondering if the people of Kenya figured this out yet?
why? are you saying they like to hump antelopes?

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote