Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 02-24-2009, 08:35 PM   #1
canibeyou
I'm taller on Facebook

Default Nissan Xterra questions

Sorry to be posting out here where the big kids play, but I'm looking for some feedback from anyone who has owned or does own a Nissan Xterra.

I'm looking to buy one in the very near future (read: within a month) and I'd like to hear your personal review of it. Did ya like it? What didn't you like about it? If you had to do it over again, would you still have owned one? Etc.

Any personal feedback is greatly appreciated!
Old 02-24-2009, 08:40 PM   #2
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing

Drop a PM to Ebbs15. I believe he just picked one up and seemed to be very happy with it. I've got a buddy who's had one for going on four years and he's never been let down by it.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:40 PM   #3
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

seriously?

I just bought one... two weeks ago friday.

I love it... it's an 06... base model... but still is nice... 4.0 V6 with 265hp and 285ftlbs...

I towed a 5x8 enclosed Uhaul trailer from AK... and averaged 15mpg. I have a 6 speed manual... which is perfect for me... as I HATE autos.

lots of room... I'm 6'3 and still don't need the seat all the way back. I can get in the back... and though my knees are against the seat... they're not jamed into the back.

the one things that's kinda annoying is the back is all plastic... so things slide back and forth with ease...

I'll have some pics soon... (been promising them for a couple days now )
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:47 PM   #4
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbs15 View Post
seriously?

I just bought one... two weeks ago friday.

I love it... it's an 06... base model... but still is nice... 4.0 V6 with 265hp and 285ftlbs...

I towed a 5x8 enclosed Uhaul trailer from AK... and averaged 15mpg. I have a 6 speed manual... which is perfect for me... as I HATE autos.

lots of room... I'm 6'3 and still don't need the seat all the way back. I can get in the back... and though my knees are against the seat... they're not jamed into the back.

the one things that's kinda annoying is the back is all plastic... so things slide back and forth with ease...

I'll have some pics soon... (been promising them for a couple days now )
Any impressions and problems you'd have would be within the first month of ownership, and i figured since you were doing a big haul and lots of miles, any problems would become apparent to you pretty quick. Besides, you're the only person I could think of who has one on the board.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:50 PM   #5
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

He had to ditch he studded tires before going south

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:50 PM   #6
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Any impressions and problems you'd have would be within the first month of ownership, and i figured since you were doing a big haul and lots of miles, any problems would become apparent to you pretty quick. Besides, you're the only person I could think of who has one on the board.
lol yeah we replied at the same time... didn't see yours till I had already posted...

back to the OP... what year Xterra you look'n at? 05+ is the 2nd Gen... and has the 4.0 V6 in it... before that... the reviews I read said the power was pitiful... only the supercharged was decent... and it doesn't touch the 4.0

the 4.0 is a bored out 3.5 from the 350Z... and in the case of the manual 6 speed... has the same transmission.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:02 PM   #7
canibeyou
I'm taller on Facebook

I was loving the '05 model. I'm trying to pay cash for it so I don't owe anyone any money (I have a "phobia" about that).

What I'm mainly going to be using it for is errands around town (all 12 square miles of it) and I just started my own pet sitting business. I might be takin' doggies to the dog park and things. Plus, we (my husband and I) live ridiculously close to Seqouia National Park and we're getting back into hiking and camping.

I'm not sure I'd be towing anything, but since I've never really owned a tow vehicle maybe I will! I'm thinking like a trailer to put the bikes on and drive out to the coast for a weekend.

If I can't afford an '05, than an '03/ '04 would be my next choice. And I don't know how to drive a stick-shift so I'm looking at an automatic and a 2WD.

LOL... basically the opposite of everything you got!

I've been trolling on Xterra forums and I hear a lot of people talk about the bad gas mileage, but I'm currently driving a Cadillac STS that gets about the same gas milage, yet it takes premium so it costs me twice as much to fill up as the Xterra will. I've also heard about problems with the power windows no longer working and little things like that, but I think it's safe to assume that if I'm buying used, those problems have already occurred for other owners and they've been fixed. Or maybe I'm just wishful thinking.

I've only been able to talk to one Xterra owner in person (and she was driving an '02) so I'm kinda lacking in the personal dept. when finding out about the car and a dealer's gonna tell me whatever he thinks I want to hear.

Do ya like all the little nooks and crannies in the car or do they just become obnoxious? LOL I'm thinking a lot of camping gear can be jammed into 'em and if need be you could even sleep in the back, although that wouldn't be the most comfortable night sleep.

Let me know if I'm bothering you by askin' about everything! Don't want to be a tool.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:26 PM   #8
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

you're fine... I'm happy to help...

yeah looks like what your looking for is the last thing I'd buy... why would you want a 2wd xterra? not trying to insult your taste or anything... just wondering... if you only want 2wd... why not get something that gets a bit better gas milage? a CRV or a Rav4 would probably be better as far as MPG... but they're smaller.

as far as the nooks and cranny's... there's plenty... nissan does kinda like adding in little compartments here and there... pretty cool... though I don't have a ash tray and that sucks... I use them to gather change...

I haven't had any issues with any electronics... though I'd be highly pissed off if I did... I hit 53000 miles on this trip... and it's an 06 so no way should I be having issues...

sleeping in the back wouldn't be too bad... if your under 6'... and have a nice pad... when the seats are laid down they slope to the rear so it's not totally flat... and it's all plastic and hard.

the knobs and switches are nice IMO... they're built to be easy to use with gloves on... they work... that's all I care about

the roof rack is nice... haven't used it yet... but it's solid...
Old 02-24-2009, 10:29 PM   #9
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

I have a 2000 model V6 4x4 automatic in my stable. It's got 175k, and they've been pretty trouble free save a few small things that just happen with miles.

I enjoyed it until about 120k when I gave it to my mom. She loves it and it has turned her into a type a personality driver.

If I had it to do over again, I'd buy another one. It's been a good truck and I have enjoyed driving it.

I haven't driven a newer one, so I can't comment on the power, other than to say even though they rate it for 5000 pounds of towing capacity, I wouldn't. As soon as I hitched anything up to it, mileage went down to 10mpg and it did drag the truck down power-wise.

If your primary use was towing, I wouldn't do it, but for your needs, sounds like it would be perfect.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:13 AM   #10
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Moto: 06 GSXR 600

I worked at a Nissan dealership for about a year in my college town. The town was literally crawling with ton's of Xterras so one would assume that I saw a lot of them.

From the dealership view point, they were the least likely to come in for any major work. They always just needed regular maintenance like rotations, oil changes and filters.

The Altimas and Sentras were usually in there with many off the wall problems.

My point is based on what owners here have said and what I saw in my time at the dealership, they are good reliable cars that can take you most of the places you want to go! They also have a huge following so that helps too.

My 06 GSXR 600 <-- Its Clickable Fools.
Quick281 is offline   Reply With Quote