Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 06-16-2009, 01:08 AM   #1
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
Default Need some engine advice on a trade in...

Wanted to post this in here, I'm lookin for some quick general answers

I'm trading my FZ1 outright for a good cruiser type bike. Got a guy who wants to trade an 02 VZ800 Intruder. Bike has 3,900 miles on it and looks brand new. I took it on a long ride today and when I go more than say 30% throttle the engine cuts out. If I hold the throttle open it'll backfire a couple of times but the power never comes on. Had trouble getting it over 70mph.

Wondering if its a quick fix or something to be weary of. The bike sat for three years only being started now and again and obviously not ridden until this guy bought it. If its minor I'm thinking spark plug or it wasn't jetted properly for the exhaust. Any other thoughts?
________
HOW TO USE SILVER SURFER VAPORIZER

Last edited by Kaneman; 05-09-2011 at 07:59 PM..
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:36 AM   #2
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
Wanted to post this in here, I'm lookin for some quick general answers

I'm trading my FZ1 outright for a good cruiser type bike. Got a guy who wants to trade an 02 VZ800 Intruder. Bike has 3,900 miles on it and looks brand new. I took it on a long ride today and when I go more than say 30% throttle the engine cuts out. If I hold the throttle open it'll backfire a couple of times but the power never comes on. Had trouble getting it over 70mph.

Wondering if its a quick fix or something to be weary of. The bike sat for three years only being started now and again and obviously not ridden until this guy bought it. If its minor I'm thinking spark plug or it wasn't jetted properly for the exhaust. Any other thoughts?

Bad gas and/or clogged jets or stuck needle. Unless, this model has those diaphrams on the side... If it has constant velocity carbs... Also, there maybe a loose or rotten vacuum hose or the carbs could be WAY out of synch. Hmmm...I'm guess that the slides are stuck, the diaphram has a pin hole or there's a vacuum leak somewhere. Bottom line if you like the bike and are willing to get your hands a little dirty, it shouldn't be a huge problem. PM Gasman, he's a whiz with this stuff!

Last edited by Amber Lamps; 06-16-2009 at 02:44 AM..
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:25 AM   #3
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

definitely sounds like carb issues. wrong jetting or just varnished up from sitting. Shop can usually clean 'em and set 'em for $200 or less.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:25 AM   #4
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

there was no power because that 800 has none, lol... Seriously, keep looking, you will not be happy with an 800cc cruiser. I wouldnt look for anything under a 1500cc if I were you, or youll be HORRIBLY dissapointed.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:34 AM   #5
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
there was no power because that 800 has none, lol... Seriously, keep looking, you will not be happy with an 800cc cruiser. I wouldnt look for anything under a 1500cc if I were you, or youll be HORRIBLY dissapointed.

Yea, I've thought a lot about that as well which is why I wanted to ride it around for a while first. Couldn't really tell anything about it with it not running right. I think this motor puts out like 50hp and 50lb of torque.

As long as it has enough power to carry me down the road it should be ok. Part of the idea behind it is to have a bike my wife could ride to work too and in a year or so I'll get something bigger for me again. I dunno, we'll see.
________
Zoloft Settlement Information

Last edited by Kaneman; 05-09-2011 at 07:59 PM..
Old 06-16-2009, 01:06 PM   #6
wildchild
cruiser

ok well someone had to break the power issue. I say this as someone who in the last 8 years has owned a 600 sportbike, a 955 sport tour, a 750 metric v twin and now a 1600 HD.

I think you would be on the wrong end of that trade value wise unless he would be allowing you some money as well as the bike.
more importantly my 750 v twin had three things I did not like. Speeds over 75 were downright scary from the vibration. Hauling a passenger turned a mediocre performer into a complete pig. Acceleration was non existant.
I don't know if I would say 1500 or nothing but at least go for one of the larger cruisers. 1100 or bigger. Your idea of it being for the wife makes total sense. I bought an 800 Vulcan for my lady. She could only ride it 50 miles because of the vibrations on it. She liked her Ninja much better and is now loving the HD, it vibrates much less then the Vulcan did. I only mention that as a precaution to you. Have the wife ride on the bike right away with you and ensure she "wants" it to be hers next year.
Just a thought.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:14 PM   #7
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm going to take this one back and try for a larger one.
________
GENERATION MP5A5 HEAVY AIRSOFT LOADED

Last edited by Kaneman; 05-09-2011 at 08:00 PM..
Old 06-16-2009, 02:03 PM   #8
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

good idea. My friend Neil had an 800 Suzuki, it was the worst trash i'd ever ridden. And i rode a 750 shadow last year, that was crap too...

Imagine always winding something out like an I4 sportbike, but never getting any rpm's or power with it. thats what youll get out of it. And youll hate it.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:12 PM   #9
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Got another offer from a guy with a 94 Magna that is clean

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/mcy/1223613969.html

I had an 85 Magna 700 that ran good...I imagine this would be a pretty fun bike to cruise on.
________
HERBAL VAPORIZERS

Last edited by Kaneman; 05-09-2011 at 08:00 PM..
Old 06-16-2009, 02:18 PM   #10
wildchild
cruiser

Magnas are fun to ride. the hot rod of the cruisers they say. I had a blast with mine. (yes I had one of those too. ) but again you would be on the wrong side of the trade. Your FZ1 should sell outright pretty easily and definitely for more then both of the previous bikes.
Do you have a price in mind for your's? I have a friend who is looking semi seriously for an FZ1. problem would of course be shipping but who knows he might be interested.