Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 05-04-2009, 03:58 PM   #1
Ducati Diva
just learning

Moto: 1996 M900
Default Court System WTF

Long story short. Went to AMA at Road Atlanta, camped for the weekend at the track. Saturday night some drunk dumb ass decides that it's fun to be an idiot and drive through all the campers very recklessly spinning tires, going way faster than is safe, and making rooster tails (throwing gravel with his tires, for the non rednecks) etc.. He was bad enough that a bunch of us got him stopped and blocked in before the cops could get there. In the process of all this he showered my Jeep with rocks, busting the windshield and putting gravel size dents all over my hood and grill. Cops show up arrest him with a fight of course. Anyhow he is charged with destruction of property for the Jeep along with four other things. Got estimate on Jeep almost 2 grand to fix it

Get a call finally from the DA today. Was informed that they will make him pay restitution to me (who knows when it goes to trail). The kick in the ass is he will only have to pay me in small monthly installment. WTF!!!!! Why can't he just pay me my money so I can fix my vehicle. It totally pisses me off that I have to come up with all the money at one time for something that was someone else's stupidity but this fucker gets to pay me $10.00 a month as to not cause due stress to him. How the fuck does that make any since. What about undue stress to my my bank account or the undue stress to me in having to lose my vehicle for the days it takes to repair it??????

Holy Hell I'm PISSED!!!!
Old 05-04-2009, 03:59 PM   #2
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati Diva View Post

Long story short. Went to AMA at Road Atlanta, camped for the weekend at the track. Saturday night some drunk dumb ass decides that it's fun to be an idiot and drive through all the campers very recklessly spinning tires, going way faster than is safe, and making rooster tails (throwing gravel with his tires, for the non rednecks) etc.. He was bad enough that a bunch of us got him stopped and blocked in before the cops could get there. In the process of all this he showered my Jeep with rocks, busting the windshield and putting gravel size dents all over my hood and grill. Cops show up arrest him with a fight of course. Anyhow he is charged with destruction of property for the Jeep along with four other things. Got estimate on Jeep almost 2 grand to fix it

Get a call finally from the DA today. Was informed that they will make him pay restitution to me (who knows when it goes to trail). The kick in the ass is he will only have to pay me in small monthly installment. WTF!!!!! Why can't he just pay me my money so I can fix my vehicle. It totally pisses me off that I have to come up with all the money at one time for something that was someone else's stupidity but this fucker gets to pay me $10.00 a month as to not cause due stress to him. How the fuck does that make any since. What about undue stress to my my bank account or the undue stress to me in having to lose my vehicle for the days it takes to repair it??????

Holy Hell I'm PISSED!!!!
at least he's paying - the alternative is that you get effed out of the coin altogether...

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:00 PM   #3
HurricaneHeather
AMA Supersport

Moto: '98 Honda Fireblade

Wow. Serious Fail.
HurricaneHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:01 PM   #4
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

That sucks!
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:02 PM   #5
Ninjakel
Post whorette

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600-

wow. that's horrible

--Ron Burgundy--
Anchorman
Ninjakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:03 PM   #6
Rider
Moto GP Star

That sucks. I'd be pissed off too. Whether you have the money or not tell the DA that you have to put the cost of repairs on a credit card so that he can have the judge make this idiot pay you interest.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:05 PM   #7
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

Doesn't he have auto insurance? His insurance should pay you to get your car fixed. And your insurance co should be happy to get them to pay (usually I think they pay, then go after his ins co to get their money back).
Rsv1000R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:13 PM   #8
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsv1000R View Post
Doesn't he have auto insurance? His insurance should pay you to get your car fixed. And your insurance co should be happy to get them to pay (usually I think they pay, then go after his ins co to get their money back).
I was thinking the same thing. The only potential issue would be that there was no contact between the two vehicles.

What about a civil suit?

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:17 PM   #9
Ducati Diva
just learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsv1000R View Post
Just got off the phone with my insurance company. They told me best they could do was for me to file a claim, send them the court info (his insurance not listed) and they would go after his company. They would then pay me back my deductible when and if his company pays up. This would then be listed on my policy, as a no fault claim but could still cause a rate increase when I come up for renewal.

I guess I'm just old fashion but when you mess up someone else's stuff you immediately pay to have it fixed no matter what personal stress it puts on you.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:21 PM   #10
Ducati Diva
just learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
I was thinking the same thing. The only potential issue would be that there was no contact between the two vehicles.

What about a civil suit?
Idk know but I work during the week. Means time off work, and a 5 hour trip back down there. More cost involved cause this guy is a prick. Do you have to have a lawyer for civil cases? Never had any experience in this area.