Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 08-16-2009, 06:15 PM   #1
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man
Default A while ago we talked about the fridge

Well herer is one that uses .1kwh per day.

Quote:
Chest fridge

Using vertical doors in refrigeration devices is an act against the Nature of Cold Air. Understanding and cooperating with Nature rather than acting against it leads to much better efficiency.

My chest fridge (Vestfrost freezer turned into a fridge) consumes about 0.1 kWh a day. It works only about 2 minutes per hour. At all other times it is perfectly quiet and consumes no power whatsoever. My wind/solar system batteries and power-sensing inverter simply love it.

It is obvious that a truly energy efficient fridge does not cost any more money than a mediocre one. It actually costs less. It also has extra features, such as digital temperature display that gives you full control on the temperature settings inside.

So - WHY mediocre fridges are being made? WHO makes decisions to manufacture them? Who awards them "stars" and other misleading awards? Why people continue to buy and use energy wasting devices? Does anyone care about understanding anything?

Nearly every household on Earth has a fridge that totally wastes at least 1 kWh of energy a day (365 kWh a year). How much reduction in greenhouse emissions can we achieve by banning just ONE inefficient household device in just ONE country? How many politicians debating for how many years will it take to achieve such a ban?
$5 will power this thing for an entire year
Old 08-16-2009, 06:38 PM   #2
defector
My balls, your chin

Moto: 929, SV650, YZ250

Reads like some sort of a political agenda.
defector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:26 PM   #3
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by defector View Post
The writer mentions banning certain appliances or designs to reduce greenhouse emissions. It reads like one because it is a political agenda.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:09 PM   #4
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

Very interesting that it would be so efficient, Why dont more people also consider using solar energy supplements to provide power for some of their home? far as I know solar energy generates zero emissions and is 100% environmentally friendly.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:00 PM   #5
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by defector View Post
It is the guy is a complete eco nut who recycles his own shit and sells meditation vacations. But his refridgerator is totally environmentally friendly and saves energy
Old 08-16-2009, 10:06 PM   #6
HRCNICK11
Canyon Carver

Quote:
Why dont more people also consider using solar energy supplements to provide power for some of their home?
The largest problems with solar is cost it takes like 10 years just to break even on the cost to buy them and thats if you don't have any problems in those 10 years. Thats in places that are naturally more sunny. I live some place thats very cloudy so it would take longer.

The battery bank that makes it so your system saves energy during the day that you can then use at night more than likely will not last more than 10 years and is expensive to replace. Making it very hard for the system to ever break even.

I also have huge walnut trees that shade the house and drop large walnuts onto the house and would break the panels. So I will never be able to use it.

Now when the day comes that they make solar shingles that cost about what a normal roof does it would make it more realistic. When your replacing your old roof you would buy a solar roof instead of a normal roof for just a little more and then it saves you money. Thats what we need.
HRCNICK11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:55 AM   #7
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

Interesting but that would look ridiculous in a kitchen.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:59 AM   #8
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
Interesting but that would look ridiculous in a kitchen.
Not to mention be totally impractical for everyday use.