Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Track

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-27-2010, 09:43 AM   #10
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Great thread!

I'm pretty much in agreement with most of the posts. I have a phobia of passing and am still trying very much to get over it, making improvement but I hesitate and often lose my chance because I dont have the balls to make the pass. Thus why I'm still in Novice. I cant ride for other people, and its always the thought of "what if they do something crazy" that holds me back. Unless I'm in the zone . Then I don't even see them other than to dart by. Those are the good days.

It's the passers responsibility to pass safely in all situations. Down here most of the track days allow outside passing only in Novice, but alot of times so long as it's a safe pass, they dont say anything. My last track day my CR had me running ragged chasing her and her hubby (also a CR) down and forcing me to pass others to break me of the hesitation. I saw HUGE improvement and had one helluva time, I cant wait to see them again!

I gotta say, if someone is turned around looking at me, I will immediately get as far from them as possible as they arent paying attention to what they should be paying attention to. In all the days I've done, most instructors are adamant that you NEVER look back. If you get busted doing so, you're in for a very long lecture.

And Derf nailed it on the pitting in. If you just cant safely get past someone, pit. Let them go and give yourself some space. If someone is irritating the shit out of you on the track, pit. It's not worth the stress.

You're out there to become the best rider YOU can be, not to be billy badass and see how many folks you can piss off by scaring the snot outta them.

I will say to, it is not unheard of for me to apologize to someone if I feel I stuffed them, or passed too closely. I know I hated it as a brand new track rider when some jerk was running all over me so I try to extend some courtesy towards others.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote