Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 02-17-2010, 10:55 PM   #11
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
gps works fine, it's loading the maps that's an issue. The maps are not preloaded on the phone, it requires service to download the maps before you can set your route.

GPS devices come preloaded with maps, which makes them great in the sticks, but is also why they aren't as up to date as on demand map applications on cell phones. Unless you are using wifi, you are just flat out lying and we can all point and laugh.

iphone does have some standalone gps apps but they require several gigs of memory to store something on the order to store a decent map. Garmin's maps of USA are over 2 gigs. Google maps is a massive package that would require most of a memory card and it isn't stored on the memory card that comes with the phone.

Oh okay! I can't argue with that because I don't know... I do have 8G of memory though...but you most likely are correct sir, I apologize for my misunderstanding of what you were saying.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:04 PM   #12
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Oh okay! I can't argue with that because I don't know... I do have 8G of memory though...but you most likely are correct sir, I apologize for my misunderstanding of what you were saying.
The android 2.0 is a great gps if you are in service areas though. I use my garmin mobile app in the car over my Zumo. I like the Zumo for the bike though cause I spend a lot of time outside of service areas on the bike.

For normal everyday stuff, you can't beat a GPS cell phone over getting a standalone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:05 PM   #13
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Given that different map companies do things differently and their focus on updating may include seperate areas of the country it is something of an issue.

Also, Garmin and others have had a bigger memory issue to deal with. They are standalone GPS units. They have all the maps on one device. Memory has cost a lot of money and is coming down now, which is why you are seeing much more cheaper units on the market, but they also try to make older units still update-able so they have to keep their map packages small so old customers can still update their maps.

Cell phones use on demand tech, they can keep their map as updated and larger as they want since they don't store the entire map on the phone.
Hmmm...so as long as you have signal when you want to set your route, the smart phone is a better gps than a gps...Fair enough! BTW now it has Goggle Buzz on it so if I'm passing Joe's Pizza, I can click on it and his phone number/info comes onto the screen which you can click to call...shit, I had a hard time finding a Radio Shack with my fucking Garmin last month.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:08 PM   #14
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
The android 2.0 is a great gps if you are in service areas though. I use my garmin mobile app in the car over my Zumo. I like the Zumo for the bike though cause I spend a lot of time outside of service areas on the bike.

For normal everyday stuff, you can't beat a GPS cell phone over getting a standalone.
Hmmm...I always wonder, why can't they pull info directly from the satellites? Back in the early 90s I really thought that we were going to give up on cell phones and go to sat phones by now.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:09 PM   #15
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
BTW now it has Goggle Buzz on it so if I'm passing Joe's Pizza, I can click on it and his phone number/info comes onto the screen which you can click to call...shit, I had a hard time finding a Radio Shack with my fucking Garmin last month.
Yeah the garmin mobile app is similar, you can do so much more with an internet connection and a phone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Old 02-18-2010, 10:09 AM   #16
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
If you select navigation with voice, yes.
No kidding. I'm gonna have to look and see if mine does that.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:43 AM   #17
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
No kidding. I'm gonna have to look and see if mine does that.
no, the new google map app is currently restricted to android phones. It's eventually coming to blackberries and iphones, but right now it is just available for android phones.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:47 AM   #18
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
no, the new google map app is currently restricted to android phones. It's eventually coming to blackberries and iphones, but right now it is just available for android phones.
Fuck. I've got some google maps shit on my BB. Oh well.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:56 AM   #19
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
Fuck. I've got some google maps shit on my BB. Oh well.
yeah, thats good, but it doesnt have the same turn by turn directions as the android OS. The newer version is a shitload better.