Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 04-14-2008, 04:38 AM   #11
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

well I was like a good half mile off road by walking... but a mile and a half by way of driving... so I could kinda understand... and the sand was soft... he probably would have been burried if the tow truck would have come
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:29 AM   #12
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

Moto: 03 CBR RR

fucking riders were just passing you? thats irks me.
NONE_too_SOFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 09:42 PM   #13
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONE_too_SOFT View Post
fucking riders were just passing you? thats irks me.
I was just sitting there on a rock waiting for the tow truck. If I had waved down any of the bikers, I'm sure most would have pulled over to help.

So what did I do with the bike? I used my digital voltmeter to figure out what's wrong. With the battery out, I checked the resistance of the power wire from the battery and ground. No resistance, that means a short. I used a clothespin to hold one wire to the power wire while I probed grounds. The Kawasaki R/R that I installed had a ground wire together with a ground for the lights. No resistance until I separated both grounds.

The ground from the R/R was open, but the ground from the lights wasn't. I went to the schematic.

The orange wire had continuity, so I pulled the ignition switch. That's when I found a burned mark on the back of it. I took off the back and saw what burned it.

The red wire at BAT is completely melted away, and the orange wire is burned too. So I need a new or used ignition switch. They come apart so I can use my key and cylinder with a new electrical switch underneath.

Surprisingly, Suzuki still makes them at $145@, but it will take a week to get one. All the used motorcycle parts stores are closed on Monday, so I'll call them tomorrow. Of course it was 75 degrees today. You know I wouldn't give up too easy on this.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:57 AM   #14
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Moto: 06 GSXR 600

Glad to hear you got it all figured out. Sounds like the overall fix hasn't cost too much either.

My 06 GSXR 600 <-- Its Clickable Fools.
Quick281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 07:38 PM   #15
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

I bid on a 1978 ignition switch on ebay and won it on Monday evening. I received it in the mail this morning. Waited until after lunch to install it. Then I had to do a three-hour test ride to make sure it worked right.

The funny thing about electronics is that it always finds the weakest wire or most corroded switch to mess up. I took several connectors apart behind the headlight and sprayed contact cleaner on them. it was a great day for riding.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote