Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 06-10-2010, 01:42 AM   #1
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)
Default Question for Paramedics/EMTs

I think I remember there being a few EMTs, Paramedics, and firefighters here the board.

I'm going to a 5week accelerated EMT-I program this July. I've taken and passed Anatomy and Physiology 1 and 2 (Bio 2113 and 2114) along with a Medical Terminology class at another college (preperation for Radiology Tech). I'm wanting to get a head start to make sure I'm fully prepared for the class and plan to go through some EMT books this June.

Any suggestions on good books/flashcards/dvds/etc to get to better prepare myself? And what can I expect in the course itself?
Old 06-10-2010, 06:52 AM   #2
cbrchick
Canyon Carver

Moto: Honda CBR 600, Yamaha Zuma 50, Suzuki SV1000

I'm not an EMT or paramed...just get harassed by them all the time.

I'm thinking, if you are preparing for a future EMT class (not call that here)...

Basic life saving - CPR/first aid (American red cross)

ACLS - although I don't know what EMT's are legally allowed to do, but the info is something you'll come to work with.

Trauma - injuries and first responder treatment - what to look for

Books on drugs/alcohol and their affects....

Cardiac/respiratory conditions and treatments - different chronic lung conditions, stroke, paralysis.....
cbrchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:01 AM   #3
cbrchick
Canyon Carver

oH, diabetes - different types, symptoms and treatment

EKG's.... get started on that

Some of this stuff might be too advanced for a beginning EMT.

So someone stop me.

We have Medical First Aid Responder (fire department).

And then paramedics - primary and advanced care. There's a huge difference between MFR and paramedics. But any information is good info as you'll come across a lot of patients in your field of work.

Last edited by cbrchick; 06-10-2010 at 07:04 AM..
Old 06-11-2010, 12:02 AM   #4
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

I got nothing. One of my guys took that class while we were in Kosovo. He had no prior knowledge/training and did fine with just the class course ware.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:15 AM   #5
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty72 View Post
I got nothing. One of my guys took that class while we were in Kosovo. He had no prior knowledge/training and did fine with just the class course ware.

Good luck!
I was hoping that it wouldn't be too difficult. My A&P classes are way above what they require for EMT-I. I found out that the A&P class the EMT people take you only learn 26 bones. I learned 26 things just in the skull. So I'll be okay on knowing the structures. It's the procedures that I really feel like I need to know.

CBRchick. EMTs do very basic life support. IIRC EMTs can only push 2 drugs while an actual Paramedic can push around 20 or so drugs. They still can't do as much as a nurse which is why in our lifeflight helicopters they set it up with a nurse and a paramedic. Also at EMT level I think you only go on transport and non-emergency calls.

Any EMT book I saw at the books stores are simply review books similar to SAT/ACT review books. I found this one and might get it. http://www.amazon.com/Emergency-Care...6233177&sr=1-2
Old 06-11-2010, 01:27 AM   #6
SteveP
Canyon Carver

Moto: The v-twin trifecta

I've taken A&P 1 + 2 and had no troubles with my wifes EMT homework. Sounds like you're on the right track.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:38 AM   #7
cbrchick
Canyon Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
I was hoping that it wouldn't be too difficult. My A&P classes are way above what they require for EMT-I. I found out that the A&P class the EMT people take you only learn 26 bones. I learned 26 things just in the skull. So I'll be okay on knowing the structures. It's the procedures that I really feel like I need to know.

CBRchick. EMTs do very basic life support. IIRC EMTs can only push 2 drugs while an actual Paramedic can push around 20 or so drugs. They still can't do as much as a nurse which is why in our lifeflight helicopters they set it up with a nurse and a paramedic. Also at EMT level I think you only go on transport and non-emergency calls.

Any EMT book I saw at the books stores are simply review books similar to SAT/ACT review books. I found this one and might get it. http://www.amazon.com/Emergency-Care...6233177&sr=1-2
Yikes.. which 2 drugs can EMT's push if they only have to learn 26 bones???

Maybe they can give O2 and ASA??? Not push mind you , but administer....

If you go on transport, you must have to know CPR and how to use an AED.

Basic EKG reading would be an asset... Normal sinus, V-Tach, brady sinus, asystole.....(aka, dead).....

K.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:47 AM   #8
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrchick View Post
Yikes.. which 2 drugs can EMT's push if they only have to learn 26 bones???

Maybe they can give O2 and ASA??? Not push mind you , but administer....

If you go on transport, you must have to know CPR and how to use an AED.

Basic EKG reading would be an asset... Normal sinus, V-Tach, brady sinus, asystole.....(aka, dead).....

K.
I think Epinephrine is one of them. You give O2 and learn CPR along with AED use. I can already learned about EKGs in A&P2 so I should be okay there.

What EMTs can do varies from state to state. An ambulance company told me that in places like Alaska and Colorado EMTs can place chest tubes in the field. I'd shit a brick if some EMT said they wanted to place a chest tube in me.

I ordered that Brady Emergency Care book. Hopefully it'll be a good one. Also got an EMT-Basic quiz booklet to look over. Any Anatomy or Physiology questions I know. It's just some of the procedures that I don't but a lot of it is common sense (like don't remove an impailed object unless it is blocking an airway).
Old 06-11-2010, 09:43 AM   #9
cbrchick
Canyon Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
I think Epinephrine is one of them. You give O2 and learn CPR along with AED use. I can already learned about EKGs in A&P2 so I should be okay there.

What EMTs can do varies from state to state. An ambulance company told me that in places like Alaska and Colorado EMTs can place chest tubes in the field. I'd shit a brick if some EMT said they wanted to place a chest tube in me.

I ordered that Brady Emergency Care book. Hopefully it'll be a good one. Also got an EMT-Basic quiz booklet to look over. Any Anatomy or Physiology questions I know. It's just some of the procedures that I don't but a lot of it is common sense (like don't remove an impailed object unless it is blocking an airway).
No offense, but with 5 weeks of training, I too would shit a brick if some EMT decided to put a chest tube in me... considering, it's a surgical procedure sometimes done under sedation... but mostly, I imagine, in the field it would be a heimlich valve for decompression of a lung not a chest tube (that's more of an advanced care paramedic procedure i.e., life flight).

So if you ca "push" Epi, you must have to learn ACLS.... unless it's IM for reactions....