Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 05-06-2008, 11:25 AM   #31
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

1125R manual says change oil every 6,000 miles using synth. change filter every other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:32 AM   #32
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
From Mobile1;

Myth: Mobil 1 will leak out of the seals of older cars.
Reality:

Mobil 1 does not cause leaks. In fact, new Mobil 1 was tested in dozens of industry standard and original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) tests to prove its seal performance. It is fully compatible with the elastomeric materials from which all automotive seals and gaskets are made. If an older engine is in good condition and does not have oil leaks, Mobil 1 provides the same advantages as when used in a new engine. ExxonMobil recommends taking measures to repair the leaks, then using Mobil 1. ExxonMobil also recommends following the automobile manufacturer's manual for the proper oil to use.

Where'd you get your info,Trip? The only thing I've heard was that if your vehicle already has leaks and sludge is "plugging" them,synth oil will clean out the sludge and let the oil flow out easier.

on a small side note,have you guys seen the Mobile1 High mileage oil yet? They claim a 15,000 oil change and guarantee no damage to your engine although I'm sure there are some provisos,etc. Still that's nuts!
I will try to dig that link up. It was like thecarbible.com or some shit like that. They have changed the additives/chemistry of synthetics since this time as well which was also mentioned on the site that this problem may not be true with today's synthetics with older seals, but they said they couldn't guarantee it to cover their ass.

What may have been true in the past isn't necessarily true of present tech. Hence why people said don't switch from conventional oil to syn may no longer apply altogether.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:38 AM   #33
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty72 View Post
1125R manual says change oil every 6,000 miles using synth. change filter every other.
Ok question...do you have the BALLS to do it? J/K but Suzuki says about 3500 using dino juice and I can't bring myself to wait. Even tho' I KNOW it isn't necessary,I am so programmed to the 3000 mile change(if I wait even that long) that I get nervous when it's even close to that mileage! Amsoil promises 5 or 6000 but I always changed around 3000 when I used their product. That's why I mostly use Suzuki full synth,at least it's only $6qt. Plus I can't bring myself to not change the filter even tho' the manual says every 10,000 miles. Break the chains of our 3000 mile oppression brother! You can be savior that'll lead us into a new and brighter era!!! Cutty...Cutty...Cutty!!!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:40 AM   #34
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Honda recommends 4000 miles on the new 600rr, I do it more than that if I am doing track days, but if I am tooling around just street for more than 4000 miles I wait longer than 3000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:45 AM   #35
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6doublefive321 View Post
15,000 isn't that crazy. I drive a BMW car, and its computer monitors driving conditions, etc, and tells me when to change the oil. I change at 10,000 miles regardless of what it tells me, but the computer always tells me that it has 3 to 5k left before the recommended change! Granted the damn thing holds 6.9 quarts, but that's still amazing. Kind of debunks the 3k mile oil change myth, huh? There are numerous tests on taxi fleets, etc. that say there is no advantage to changing oil at 3k miles as opposed to say 7.5k.
My father-in-law runs Amsoil 20,000 miles between changes...he also sends it out to get tested and every time it's come back they say it's good for more miles.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 12:29 PM   #36
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

I probably will run it the 6K now with the synthetic.
Bought a case on sale for $7.50/qt. and that's the HD Screaming Eagle stuff.

But then again, it's only got 860 miles on it now, and it's getting it's second oil change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 02:07 PM   #37
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty72 View Post
I probably will run it the 6K now with the synthetic.
Bought a case on sale for $7.50/qt. and that's the HD Screaming Eagle stuff.

But then again, it's only got 860 miles on it now, and it's getting it's second oil change.

I managed 2200 and changed my oil from Repsol $13 a liter to Mobile $7 a quart.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:24 AM   #38
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Moto: 06 R6 (race), 04 CRF Tard (race)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6doublefive321 View Post
15,000 isn't that crazy. I drive a BMW car, and its computer monitors driving conditions, etc, and tells me when to change the oil. I change at 10,000 miles regardless of what it tells me, but the computer always tells me that it has 3 to 5k left before the recommended change! Granted the damn thing holds 6.9 quarts, but that's still amazing. Kind of debunks the 3k mile oil change myth, huh? There are numerous tests on taxi fleets, etc. that say there is no advantage to changing oil at 3k miles as opposed to say 7.5k.
I'm sure the oil IS fine for that long... but there's something about it being so damn dirty when I change it after a couple track days that makes me feel better about changing it so often. Shit comes out wicked black.
ceo012384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:01 AM   #39
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Popular Mechanics,
A: Early synthetics got a bad reputation for leaking. This was because, despite the claims of the oil manufacturers, the seal-swell characteristics of the new synthetics were different from those of the mineral oils they replaced. If the seal-swell rate was lower, the seals shrank and oil leaked from crankshaft seals and rocker cover seals. If the rate was higher, the seals swelled a little extra and the engine was tight. Then if the owner changed back to mineral oil, or added a quart when no synthetic was to be had, things got really bad. The crank seals had become worn, in their turgid state, and then relaxed. The valve cover seals were compressed when swelled, and when the different oil was added, everything leaked like, well, an old English sports car.

Fortunately, the situation has improved; you should have no problem switching back and forth. Adding a quart of mineral oil to a crankcase full of synthetic will be fine. Read the fine print — a lot of the "synthetics" on the market are blends containing a substantial proportion of mineral oil.

And that's the reason for not switching back and forth! Btw apparently this is from the 60s or 70s.....

Last edited by Amber Lamps; 05-07-2008 at 09:27 AM..
Old 05-07-2008, 09:18 AM   #40
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceo012384 View Post
I'm sure the oil IS fine for that long... but there's something about it being so damn dirty when I change it after a couple track days that makes me feel better about changing it so often. Shit comes out wicked black.

Castrol
• I noticed that my oil seems to get darker with use. Can you explain this? [25%]
It is natural for oil to darken with use. This is an effect of the oil doing its job well. The oil will darken as it collects the contaminants from the combustion process, as well as handling the high temperatures that occur within any piece of machinery.

Shit,I've lost interest...anyway,there's a bunch of studies that suggest that stop and go traffic and parade laps are worse on you oil/motor than any beating you could give your bike on the track. Also,if you change your oil and run it around the block a couple times,it'll come out black.