Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 12-30-2010, 12:29 PM   #71
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Nice... gear and some go fast bits for the R6!
Just found out it's gonna be $2757 to be exact. Gear first. And then maybe some crash parts for the R6. Case covers and whatnot. Or an exhaust, we'll see. I gotta start hunting to find the best deals.

I'm sticking with Dainese for the suit and back protector. I might go with Sidi for boots and probably sticking with Astars for gloves. Shoei or AGV for a helmet.

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:02 PM   #72
Triple
uncomfortably numb

Moto: WR250R & Bonneville

Is this the first time you've been injured in a crash?

When I tore my knee up (the first time) in a high-side years ago, I never got back up to speed afterwards. I'm a safer, more mature, and more skilled rider now than I was then, but I believe I was faster when I was more reckless.
Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:05 PM   #73
DLIT
Clit Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple View Post
Is this the first time you've been injured in a crash?

When I tore my knee up (the first time) in a high-side years ago, I never got back up to speed afterwards. I'm a safer, more mature, and more skilled rider now than I was then, but I believe I was faster when I was more reckless.
Ya, first time. I anticipate being slower. I'm gonna start out in level 2 and see how it feels.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:21 PM   #74
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLIT View Post
Just found out it's gonna be $2757 to be exact. Gear first. And then maybe some crash parts for the R6. Case covers and whatnot. Or an exhaust, we'll see. I gotta start hunting to find the best deals.

I'm sticking with Dainese for the suit and back protector. I might go with Sidi for boots and probably sticking with Astars for gloves. Shoei or AGV for a helmet.
Do you already have race plastics and such for the R6?
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:27 PM   #75
DLIT
Clit Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
Do you already have race plastics and such for the R6?
Yup. Attack. Full Ohlins suspension too. It was gonna be track only eventually anyway.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:53 PM   #76
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Damn, dude, sorry to hear. I'm of the same mindset as Ebbs. I specifically avoided getting another SS bike when I finally decided to buy earlier this year. It had been 5 years since selling the R6, but I still remembered how much of an idiot I had been on the streets, so decided to get something much more tame. Heal up fast.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:17 AM   #77
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

I'm glad you are ok and healing up fast, just don't push it as others have said.

Your crash reminds me of what happened to Erik a few years back during a race. He went down on a left hander and for no apparent reason. He wasn't even close to being in a full leaned over position when it slipped right out from under him. He ended with a broken collar bone, heard it pop as he hit the ground.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:55 AM   #78
DLIT
Clit Commander

I'm starting to think cold tires helped too. We had been parked for about ten minutes right before the wreck. But this was after about 40 miles of riding, ten minutes of not riding wouldn't cool 'em down that much. I'm still baffled.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:04 PM   #79
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLIT View Post
I'm starting to think cold tires helped too. We had been parked for about ten minutes right before the wreck. But this was after about 40 miles of riding, ten minutes of not riding wouldn't cool 'em down that much. I'm still baffled.
Chalk it up to shit just happening. It could have been one of a million things. Possibly a frozen bearing locking the front wheel at the most inoportune time? A stuck brake that just happened to grab at the right time? A tiny bit of gravel at the exact spot where your tire would start to slide. A rat in the road that picked the tire up and threw it to the side.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:30 PM   #80
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Aha I found this thread....

Okay, well first, I'm really glad that you are okay-ish and will make a full recovery. Second, I always love all of the post-crash analysis, especially by people that can't ride at 60% of the speed that you do. In my experience, it's usually a combination of factors, little minute differences from the last time you took that corner, that caught up to you. Temperature, tire pressure/wear, road surface, new forks-springs/oil/settings/height in triples, speed, etc. BTW, here's my PC analysis. It'll be hard to judge now but any chance one of the forks slid in the triple? That would do what you described. Also, an incorrectly re-assembled fork after a seal/spring change. You got the forks from someone else. Do you know their exact history? I had that problem at the Gap, Rally before last, and almost lost it. Quite frankly though, my honest guess is that you fucked up...rider error, it causes crashes every once in a while.

As far as you, "giving up street riding and riding track only". Well, that sounds like the pain, your wife and fear talking to me. Seriously, one crash and you're done? Wow, I'm surprised you ever learned how to walk, dated more than one woman, etc with that attitude. One failure/mishap and you quit? Sounds kinda weak, dude.

I gave up street bikes for a season after my '01 GSXR1000 was totaled and bought a DRZ400...Yea, that didn't last long. That might have worked for Brandon but it wasn't cutting it for me. Besides, getting injured on a trail doesn't feel any better than getting injured on the street. Besides, you wear a hell of a lot less gear so it's actually easier to get hurt.

You do realize that people get hurt/killed on the track as well right? One of my worst get offs ever occurred at the track. Being afraid of crashing is going to make going to track just as miserable for you as riding on the street. IMHO. I think that you rode around thinking that you couldn't get hurt because you wore all that gear. Well, that bubble has been burst. So now you're going to be "track only" because you think that you'll be "safer" there... Maybe, but if you keep riding at the limit, you'll end up crashing, and we'll be seeing a thread about you giving up riding all together soon.

I know how you feel, bro. I've totaled 7 bikes and have been in over a dozen street crashes in going on 30 years of riding. I have pins, scars, limps, pains, aches, etc to prove it too. I love it, so for me it's worth the risk. You are going to die, man. It's just that simple. Today, you give up riding and tomorrow you get hit by a bus or find out you have cancer. I'd rather go out happy, smiling with the ground rushing by than any other way.

I don't believe you when you say that you can't have fun unless you take that corner at 120. That same corner at 100 would be pretty damn thrilling IMHO. If you take it down to 80-90% of your potential on the street, it can still be fun. You'd probably half the risk if you slowed down 10%. I can't count the number of times I've heard this crap from people. Heck, I had a friend give up riding after he crashed doing a wheelie... I'm like, "Um you could just stop stunting..." I ride A LOT slower than I used to and quite frankly, I have MORE fun now because I have less to worry about. Yeesh.

You have to do whats right for you, bro. I do respect that but I just hope that you don't make a decision out of fear that you'll end of regretting later. Oh well, take some time off and see how you feel once you are all healed up. Try not to make too many promises to your wife that you'll have a hard time keeping in the coming years. I did that in '02 and ended up having to break up
with my GF when I decided to buy my '03GSXR1000.... It was either "her or the bike"....
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote