Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 01-01-2011, 04:07 PM   #81
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

My forks never moved in the triple tree.

And I'm well aware of people getting hurt/killed on the track. Deciding to go track only is to put my wife's mind at ease...for a temporary time. I'm not scared of wrecking again. It wasn't even bad until I hit the curb. I'm just saying there's less hazards to hit on the track.

Reminds me of this commercial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VruWHHEnZGw

I think I'm doing what's right for me, my wife and my family right now. I am totally fine with track only riding for a couple seasons. Get out there in the middle group and see how I am, maybe eventually get back in the fast group...whatever.

I wrecked at about 120 and slid into a curb and down a slope. Just three weeks later and I'm walking around without using crutches, buying all new gear already (just need a helmet and boots) and I'm out and about a lot now, too. In my mind, by not riding street for a while I'm paying respects to whatever powers that be made it possible to basically walk away from a wreck of that magnitude.

And I always ride around 80% on the street. I'm never near my limit. Even on the track I don't open the throttle up as much and soon as I could probably get away with. None of my decisions are spawned from fear, I promise you that. And I do think I would enjoy street riding even more now, because after the wreck, the pain, the recovering...bottom line is I'm still able to ride. That's why, after a couple seasons maybe, that Ducati cruiser will have my name all over it!

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:07 PM   #82
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

So a few weeks ago, you were blasting through 45mph curves at 120 and now you're posting PSAs?... Born again much? Okay, Bro. I'm honestly just glad that you are okay. BTW for fun and the sake of argument, how can you be happy in the "slower" middle group or on a cruiser when you have stated that you can't ride unless you are going WOT? FWIW cruisers do suffer crashes too.... Anyway, if you're bored and want to argue to pass the time, I'll check in every so often.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:15 PM   #83
DLIT
Clit Commander

It goes back to me actually being able to ride again. I'll be satisfied in the middle group for now. There's nothing to argue. I'm set in my ways and thoughts now.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:40 PM   #84
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

AL... good post actually. Very rare for me to read such long stuff. YOu bruoght out allot of good points that even if not applied to Dlit apply to many.

i know a rider that crashed a couple of years ago. Not a real bad crash but enough to take the heat from his pants. Now he rides 50% that he use to and is on the edge of loosing the bug. I keep telling him to just get a cruiser, he really likes mine and the way I have it setup but says he's not set at home to have such a bike. I keep pushing him that way cause I know he'll get the bug back and enjoy riding again.

It's always different strokes for different folks and how they deal with crashes. When I high sided the 9R for a damn deer, it didn't slow me down at all. I was on the hill of more and more risk. Till I just told myself a few times, this is getting stupid. Much like DLIT I wasn't happy till I was over 125. I hung up my leather track suit for good and never looked back. Traded in for chrome and chaps. I like it and I have met more people and been to more places on my bike than ever before. It's great.

perhaps dlit will hang up his track suit in a year for a cruiser or maybe he'll get into hot rod cars. Do what you enjoy and F what people think.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:45 PM   #85
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLIT View Post
It goes back to me actually being able to ride again. I'll be satisfied in the middle group for now. There's nothing to argue. I'm set in my ways and thoughts now.
Aw... I wanted to argue with you for fun, dang it!
Old 01-01-2011, 08:50 PM   #86
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
AL... good post actually. Very rare for me to read such long stuff. YOu bruoght out allot of good points that even if not applied to Dlit apply to many.

i know a rider that crashed a couple of years ago. Not a real bad crash but enough to take the heat from his pants. Now he rides 50% that he use to and is on the edge of loosing the bug. I keep telling him to just get a cruiser, he really likes mine and the way I have it setup but says he's not set at home to have such a bike. I keep pushing him that way cause I know he'll get the bug back and enjoy riding again.

It's always different strokes for different folks and how they deal with crashes. When I high sided the 9R for a damn deer, it didn't slow me down at all. I was on the hill of more and more risk. Till I just told myself a few times, this is getting stupid. Much like DLIT I wasn't happy till I was over 125. I hung up my leather track suit for good and never looked back. Traded in for chrome and chaps. I like it and I have met more people and been to more places on my bike than ever before. It's great.

perhaps dlit will hang up his track suit in a year for a cruiser or maybe he'll get into hot rod cars. Do what you enjoy and F what people think.
True dat! I'm just playing devil's advocate and trying to cheer/fire him up a little. To be honest, I've considered quitting several times between funerals and crashes but I always come back. Like I said, you ARE going to die, I know that better than most. I plan to die with a smile on my face and lots of stories to tell in hell!
Old 01-02-2011, 12:58 AM   #87
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
True dat! I'm just playing devil's advocate and trying to cheer/fire him up a little. To be honest, I've considered quitting several times between funerals and crashes but I always come back. Like I said, you ARE going to die, I know that better than most. I plan to die with a smile on my face and lots of stories to tell in hell!
Yep. My mom hates that I ride because she's heard so many stories of people getting hurt, killed, maimed, etc. I just tell her that when it's my time, it's my time, and it will happen whether I'm riding a motorcycle or walking down my basement stairs. I might as well enjoy life while I'm here!! One story that really bugs her is that her cousin was riding passenger and some guy fell asleep at the wheel and hit the cousin's bike. Killed the cousin's husband and caused the cousin to lose her leg. Mom's cousin still rides.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:59 AM   #88
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
.... Traded in for chrome and chaps. .....
I never understood the chaps thing.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:00 AM   #89
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
.... Like I said, you ARE going to die, I know that better than most....
So you know more than others that we are all going to die. U smart.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:36 AM   #90
DLIT
Clit Commander

You're right, Gas. He made good points. But all he did in my eyes was prove he couldn't be any further from my situation and decisions. But, like you said, different strokes for different folks. I'll never stop riding...unless I'm too broken to do so, or dead. I've always been decent at regular sports but I'm actually above the curve in regards to riding. That, and my naturally competitive spirit doesn't allow me to just call it quits.