Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 04-25-2010, 12:28 PM   #101
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
ok, so was that MSF's fault or yours? i took MSF (having never ridden before) and rode to work MON after class thru rush hour traffic and home in the rain. crashing 8000mi later, still in my first yr of riding. and i chalk it up to MSF teaching me good basic skills.

so where do you send people who you "do care about" if not MSF, and since you don't teach?

this is like the 2nd or 3rd time i've asked.......
It's not MSF's, it's my fault for not researching the lack of training offered there and not finding trying to find a suitable alternative. The suitable alternative ended up being fellow riders.

I would teach someone I cared about as I have said before, but there aren't many I care about that much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:32 PM   #102
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archren View Post
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, man, but maybe she is the LAST person you want on a motorcycle.

Someone at that age with that kind of twitchiness isn't going to just get over it. Particularly with the nature of motorcycling involving quick thinking and quick reactions to several things at once (for instance, making the quick decision to quick stop or dodge, depending on if you have a car riding your ass behind you). Freezing has a high chance of being deadly.

Just my opinion.

I am a fan of the MSF myself. But then I learn better in a regimented environment where there are other noobs around me so I don't feel like as much of an idiot. It is just a very BASIC course, but it's a good start, and you can always supplement what she learns from the course. Again, just an opinion.
She has no aspirations to ride on the street. I have a little 100cc dirt bike she wants to try out. I'm certainly not enrolling her in a course. She very well may be one of those that has no business riding, hence my mentioning that in the OP...but I can tell she wishes she could conquer it.

Obviously, I would put her in full gear, and in a big grass field, with nothing to hit, for starters.

I was just wondering if anyone had any pointers for teaching the basics of controls, etc.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:36 PM   #103
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
She has no aspirations to ride on the street. I have a little 100cc dirt bike she wants to try out. I'm certainly not enrolling her in a course. She very well may be one of those that has no business riding, hence my mentioning that in the OP...but I can tell she wishes she could conquer it.

Obviously, I would put her in full gear, and in a big grass field, with nothing to hit, for starters.

I was just wondering if anyone had any pointers for teaching the basics of controls, etc.
Well that's easy, there is definitely no need to send her to MSF. Fuck MSF. My wife has never driven a manual trans car. I had her zipping around on my fiddy that is full manual not the semi-auto stock in no time.

Don't have any links for you, there are all sorts of good books out there though.
Quote:
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Old 04-25-2010, 12:37 PM   #104
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post

I would teach someone I cared about as I have said before, but there aren't many I care about that much.
so other then yourself, and since your unwilling to get involved, are there really any other options for a "friend" your mildly care about? lol
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:38 PM   #105
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
so other then yourself, and since your unwilling to get involved, are there really any other options for a "friend" your mildly care about? lol
As previously said, since you seem to have a reading problem, if I don't really care I would send them to MSF.
Quote:
Old 04-25-2010, 12:40 PM   #106
RACER X
AMA Supersport

here's a start

i guess you can skip past all the first part to about pg 15

http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/Riding_Tips.pdf

Quote:
As previously said, since you seem to have a reading problem, if I don't really care I would send them to MSF.
so really there is no better place? then MSF that is, other then your own imaginary awesome training program.
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:46 PM   #107
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
so really there is no better place? then MSF that is, other then your own imaginary awesome training program.
Why are you so butt hurt about my opinion of MSF? It's an opinion, just like your awesome view of a shitty program.

Yes, there are really no other "official" programs out there. That doesn't mean someone can't train another person better than the MSF.
Quote:
Old 04-25-2010, 01:04 PM   #108
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Yes, there are really no other "official" programs out there. That doesn't mean someone can't train another person better than the MSF.
the realty is that 92% of those "taught" indiv. crash, sure there is the 8% that don't. i'm sure once you get your wife outta the fields and off that 50, she'll be in the latter w/ your tutelage.

you think the program sucks, i think diff. so were debating it.
neither of us is going to change each others mind, we're just wasting time
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:06 PM   #109
Amorok
Issukangitok

Moto: '06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

Tard, let her practice clutch in, clutch out in an empty field until she can start
moving without stalling. Then have her practice power walking. Once you get her comfortable with that have her brake while she power walks, then eventually you can add in real riding and shifting. Should take a couple days with a couple hours a day.

Trip, what would you add to an MSF course to make it better? Did you take the BRC or the sport bike course? The BRC is not designed to teach you advanced techniques, it's designed to let you practice the basic physical and mental skills needed to move a motorcycle around safely. Ever studentthat graduates my course gets contact information to several riding groups in the area to help further their training, and sport bike riders get information about track days and why they need to go to one. I don't think the MSF is perfect by any means, but it's the best course of it's type out there. If you can think of ways for me to improve it by all means, let me know. And as for the money, I teach it for free and don't get paid, I don't have an opinion about pricing. But if you're in my area, and you bring your bike I'll put you through a course on my range if you want.
Amorok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 01:11 PM   #110
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorok View Post
Tard, let her practice clutch in, clutch out in an empty field until she can start
moving without stalling. Then have her practice power walking. Once you get her comfortable with that have her brake while she power walks, then eventually you can add in real riding and shifting. Should take a couple days with a couple hours a day.

Trip, what would you add to an MSF course to make it better? Did you take the BRC or the sport bike course? The BRC is not designed to teach you advanced techniques, it's designed to let you practice the basic physical and mental skills needed to move a motorcycle around safely. Ever studentthat graduates my course gets contact information to several riding groups in the area to help further their training, and sport bike riders get information about track days and why they need to go to one. I don't think the MSF is perfect by any means, but it's the best course of it's type out there. If you can think of ways for me to improve it by all means, let me know. And as for the money, I teach it for free and don't get paid, I don't have an opinion about pricing. But if you're in my area, and you bring your bike I'll put you through a course on my range if you want.
days and hours, lol, you know we get them "riding" in the 1st 1/2 hr.

too bad the sportbike class is military specific.

you teach for free WOW, is that part of your military duty? cuz you can make decent side $ teaching on weekends, alot better then delivering pizza.
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.