Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 03-29-2011, 05:38 PM   #11
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
If someone told a known bike thief your address, what security you have, when your bike will be exposed and basically give them the most effective way to steal your motorcycle would that someone be responsible in any way if that thief took your motorcycle?

What if they gave a convicted rapist out on bail the address of your girlfriend's house and the best time to "do his thing" would they be responsible in anyway?

I do get your point though 101.
I get his point too. I just don't agree with it, especially not where the person involved is only *nominally* an adult. Hell, she couldn't even drink legally.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:22 PM   #12
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
Shouting 'fire' in a crowded theatre exception. Take people who are in a mental and emotional state to believe something, then use that to elicit the response you desire, and you're responsible for the results.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
No you aren't. It isn't my fault they are in an "emtional state", esp. when you are dealing over the internet.

Quit trying to blame others for the sole fault of the women who jumped in the river herself. She was of age and knew right from wrong. This isn't a child who could be manipulated easily, but rather an adult who needed to take responsiblity for her own actions.
However, this guy could just as easily talked with her and helped her find a way to deal with whatever problems she had. Instead, he chose to taunt her and keep pushing her toward suicide, "for the thrill of the chase."
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:47 PM   #13
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
If someone told a known bike thief your address, what security you have, when your bike will be exposed and basically give them the most effective way to steal your motorcycle would that someone be responsible in any way if that thief took your motorcycle?

What if they gave a convicted rapist out on bail the address of your girlfriend's house and the best time to "do his thing" would they be responsible in anyway?

I do get your point though 101.
The notion of convicting individuals for statements, no matter how inflammatory, is the height of inanity provided there is no immediate danger. Examples of immediate danger are shouting, "Fire!" in a theatre. Telling someone how to commit suicide, or egging them on? Not even remotely close.

If I tell how someone to go fuck themselves, and they hurt themselves while trying to do it, is it my responsibility? No. If I tell someone how to cut off their arm in the most painless way possible, and they do it, is it my responsibility? No.

The precedent this sets is laughable, and while the individual's behavior was abhorrent, it doesn't merit the infringement of free speech. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan
However, this guy could just as easily talked with her and helped her find a way to deal with whatever problems she had. Instead, he chose to taunt her and keep pushing her toward suicide, "for the thrill of the chase."
It doesn't matter what else he could've done, the issue here is what he did, and whether it merits legal intervention.

The precedent this sets is ridiculous. Free speech doesn't just exist for non-inflammatory rhetoric, and the only time it should be infringed upon is when it represents a clear physical danger to others.

Telling a suicidal person to kill themselves? Not even close, since being suicidal and committing suicide are two different things, nor is it the responsibility of individuals to help them if they don't want to.

Should the guy that did this become a social pariah for his actions? Absolutely. Should he be punished in court? No.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM

Last edited by 101lifts2; 03-29-2011 at 11:51 PM..
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:06 AM   #14
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Free speech ends when you cause harm to another. That harm can be more than merely physical. Telling someone to kill himself is one thing. PERSUADING a suicidal person to kill himself is quite another.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:29 AM   #15
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
The notion of convicting individuals for statements, no matter how inflammatory, is the height of inanity provided there is no immediate danger. Examples of immediate danger are shouting, "Fire!" in a theatre. Telling someone how to commit suicide, or egging them on? Not even remotely close.

If I tell how someone to go fuck themselves, and they hurt themselves while trying to do it, is it my responsibility? No. If I tell someone how to cut off their arm in the most painless way possible, and they do it, is it my responsibility? No.

The precedent this sets is laughable, and while the individual's behavior was abhorrent, it doesn't merit the infringement of free speech. Period.

It doesn't matter what else he could've done, the issue here is what he did, and whether it merits legal intervention.

The precedent this sets is ridiculous. Free speech doesn't just exist for non-inflammatory rhetoric, and the only time it should be infringed upon is when it represents a clear physical danger to others.

Telling a suicidal person to kill themselves? Not even close, since being suicidal and committing suicide are two different things, nor is it the responsibility of individuals to help them if they don't want to.

Should the guy that did this become a social pariah for his actions? Absolutely. Should he be punished in court? No.

I can respect your view.
However, I think there may are cases where there can be liability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:25 AM   #16
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
Free speech ends when you cause harm to another. That harm can be more than merely physical. Telling someone to kill himself is one thing. PERSUADING a suicidal person to kill himself is quite another.
It is still free speech...you may not like it, but it is.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:28 AM   #17
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
It is still free speech...you may not like it, but it is.
Apparently the courts say that it isn't

*EDIT* And before someone tosses out the ol' "Damned liberal judges", he's a former Senator and member of the Republican Party

Last edited by Papa_Complex; 03-30-2011 at 11:31 AM..
Old 05-05-2011, 07:30 AM   #18
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Result: He got 360 days in jail.