Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 02-25-2009, 10:57 PM   #11
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUKIMON View Post
I used Rotella T in my Radian and my Katana. I've always heard good things about it and it is what the NASCAR engine builders use in those engines......so I figure it has to be good. IMHO, nothing gets run harder than a race engine in a NASCAR car/truck.

This brings up something that I have been working on lately.........I'm going to go start a thread about it in Tech.

***EDIT***

http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthrea...424#post171424
How many cars in NASCAR have wet clutches? Even a NASCAR engine doesn't deal with the piston velocities found in a motorcycle engine. This is what I know,I have 30,000 miles on the clutch in my current bike,I had 42,000 on my '03's clutch when I traded it in using Amsoil. I went thru about a clutch a year on my '97 YZF1000 and my '95 FZR1000 using car oil,which I changed every 2,000 miles (no bs). Neither my '01 GSXR1000 nor my '00 Hayabusa lived long enough for me to comment on clutch life...
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:59 PM   #12
zed
yellow don't corner well

Moto: 06 ZX10R

Rotella T in the blue bottle is a group 3 synthetic.
zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:00 PM   #13
zed
yellow don't corner well

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
How many cars in NASCAR have wet clutches? Even a NASCAR engine doesn't deal with the piston velocities found in a motorcycle engine. This is what I know,I have 30,000 miles on the clutch in my current bike,I had 42,000 on my '03's clutch when I traded it in using Amsoil. I went thru about a clutch a year on my '97 YZF1000 and my '95 FZR1000 using car oil,which I changed every 2,000 miles (no bs). Neither my '01 GSXR1000 nor my '00 Hayabusa lived long enough for me to comment on clutch life...
what kind of car oil? that's the real question. I wouldn't put just any auto oil in my bike.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:04 PM   #14
ZUKIMON
Is this thing on?

Moto: '01, 929RR

Dude, I ain't got no fucking clue about oils and such. If I really wanted to know about them intelectually, I would ask this guy I used to work with who retired from the Navy as a Diesel Mech/Instructor. He taught oil refineing and diesel mechanics to the newbs. He knows his shit about oils and what to look for and such. Me.........I'm just your average run of the mill, flunkie!!
Old 02-25-2009, 11:10 PM   #15
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

I run Rotella full synthetic in anything that runs well enough to warrant it. its great stuff for bikes IMO. I get it for about $20 a gallon.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:13 PM   #16
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by zed View Post
Rotella T in the blue bottle is a group 3 synthetic.

Which means that it is NOT a real synthetic at all but a highly refined crude oil..

TRUE synthetic is NOT made from crude oil as has been stated.......
Synthetic has changed in recent years. A little history first....
In the days non synthetic oils were group 1 and group 2 base stocks. These are crude oils and polyphenins. Synthetic was as it was stated group 4 and group 5 base stocks which are PAO and POA esters (man made extreme quality esters which mimic esters once used from whale fat).
Then came the big Mobil 1 vs Castrol lawsuit. Mobil 1 contended that Castrol was using false advertising. Castrol had changed there formulation on there Full Synthetic oil. It NO longer was made from group 4 synthetic base stocks but was indeed made from group 3 base stock which is a conventional crude base stock, then severely hydro cracked and refined. group 3 is much higher quality than group 2 oils. Well it made it all the way to the supreme court were they ruled that oils made with group 3 base stocks are indeed synthetic because of the extreme amount of refinement, it isn't anything naturally occurring anymore. So Castrol was allowed to continue marketing the oil as fully synthetic. After this lawsuit a precedence was set for the definition of synthetic oil, one by one manufacturers started reformulating their synthetic motor oils from group 4's to group 3's , since group 3 is much cheaper to use.
This brings us to today most so called synthetics are just dino oil (conventional). Dont get me wrong the group 3 is far superior to group 2 it has much better flow characteristics in the cold and better resistance to heat. But you still are only using a conventional crude oil that is ultra refined.
Here is a list of the only Oils that are true full synthetic (groups 4 or 5).
Mobil 1, Amsoil, Royal purple, Redline, some Schaffers, some Motul, Valvoline synpower is a blend of goup 3 and 4, Castrol makes (1) full synthetic it is 0w-30 only and has to say made in Germany on the bottle otherwise it is group 3,the bargain oil out there is Valvoline maxlife synthetic blend which is group 4 and a group 2 blend it performs really well at a reasonable price.

ok Now YOU know the difference time to decide,
group 4 and 5 do outperform the others, but by how much ??? Oil has come an incredibly long way. No longer do we utilize crappy group 1 basestocks (at least not much). Now most conventional oils in fact are group 2 group 3 mixes to meet ever tightening lubricant requirements and tests. The pseudo full synthetics whih are group 3 and really good oils, one of the best is Pennzoil Platinum actually probably the best group 3 oil on the market.
My advice is to decide will you extend oil change intervals out 6-10,000 miles to make true use of the true full synthetic, do you subject your vehicle to severe conditions do you start your vehicle in subzero temperatures if so then synthetic may be your thing...........come on over to bob is the oil guy forum and learn much much more about oil........
Source(s):
www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums
Old 02-25-2009, 11:16 PM   #17
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by zed View Post
what kind of car oil? that's the real question. I wouldn't put just any auto oil in my bike.

Castrol GTX which at the time had all the forum/message board's seals of approval! Just like Rotella does now....
Old 02-25-2009, 11:22 PM   #18
zed
yellow don't corner well

Quote:
Which means that it is NOT a real synthetic at all but a highly refined crude oil..

ok Now YOU know the difference time to decide
I knew that about the group 3 oil. I'm sure others didn't though.

even using this oil I change it before 3K miles.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:24 PM   #19
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Oh and the latest HTHS numbers on Amsoil 20/50
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hitemp_viscos_mcv_300.jpg (16.3 KB, 34 views)
Old 02-25-2009, 11:25 PM   #20
zed
yellow don't corner well

Quote:
Castrol GTX which at the time had all the forum/message board's seals of approval! Just like Rotella does now....
I've got 3 years street/road course/dragstrip use on it.

don't mess with me but it's got less than 20K on the clock. if you worked in a dealership you would get sick of bikes too.