Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 07-23-2011, 05:30 PM   #11
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Ims has been making shitty klr tanks, there have be en a number of failures on the klr board recently, mostly by the cap though. Also leaks near the front where the radiator vent holes are. People seem to think that ims changed their plastic in the last few years.

My first thought was paint. Paint does strange stuff to plastic
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:12 PM   #12
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

Let me clarify a few things..

Yes, I got the tank from a private individual, but it was in the box, still wrapped in plastic and had been unopened. He had bought two, for him and a friend, his friend had passed, didn't need the second tank obviously, etc.

I inspected the tank when I took it out of the plastic. It was clear that it had never been used or had a petcock installed, etc. I'm confident it had never been so much as used or had a drop of fuel in it.

Secondly, for the type of paint I used. I used Krylon Fusion Camouflage spray paint. Nothing fancy or ridiculous. Plain ol' spraypaint made for plastic.

Who knows. Just an odd failure I guess. I can't explain it. It wasn't bolted down in a way that would force it down. The only weight at that point was the weight of the fuel. *shrug*
Old 07-23-2011, 06:16 PM   #13
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
Let me clarify a few things..

Yes, I got the tank from a private individual, but it was in the box, still wrapped in plastic and had been unopened. He had bought two, for him and a friend, his friend had passed, didn't need the second tank obviously, etc.

I inspected the tank when I took it out of the plastic. It was clear that it had never been used or had a petcock installed, etc. I'm confident it had never been so much as used or had a drop of fuel in it.

Secondly, for the type of paint I used. I used Krylon Fusion Camouflage spray paint. Nothing fancy or ridiculous. Plain ol' spraypaint made for plastic.

Who knows. Just an odd failure I guess. I can't explain it. It wasn't bolted down in a way that would force it down. The only weight at that point was the weight of the fuel. *shrug*
interesting... yeah the weight should reside on the rubber "ears" so it should be an issue anyways... good luck...
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:31 PM   #14
derf
token jewboy

dumb question, but should the rubber pad be removed when you install the tank?

also:

http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=89692

http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10875

http://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid...&bih=809&ion=1

IMS has been pretty good about replacing the tanks at a very reasonable cost, mostly shipping plus a few $$$. How thick is the plastic where it broke? IMS has also been known to have tanks of varying thickness, to the point that it actually impacts fuel quantity, is it possible that you happen to get the one tank that was thin at that very spot?
Old 07-23-2011, 06:49 PM   #15
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
dumb question, but should the rubber pad be removed when you install the tank?

also:

http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=89692

http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10875

http://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid...&bih=809&ion=1

IMS has been pretty good about replacing the tanks at a very reasonable cost, mostly shipping plus a few $$$. How thick is the plastic where it broke? IMS has also been known to have tanks of varying thickness, to the point that it actually impacts fuel quantity, is it possible that you happen to get the one tank that was thin at that very spot?
the round ones? no... they're the cushion for the tank...
Old 07-23-2011, 06:54 PM   #16
derf
token jewboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lefty View Post
the round ones? no... they're the cushion for the tank...
yeh, its a half circle rubber pad that sits on the frame backbone. My stock tank sits on that pad, plus two small rubber circles that sit on posts on the side of the frame too (if I remember correctly). It looks like the same spot that the rubber pad on the frame backbone sits on, and if the plastic was thin there it could have busted through, or if it was thick there it could have been taking more weight than it was supposed to.

Either way he should check with IMS to see if they will replace it, but I doubt they will be able to flip it out for a new one in a week before he leaves for AK.

Trace, you need to just re-install the stock tank and buy yourself one of these:

have fun making across the dalton
Old 07-23-2011, 07:01 PM   #17
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

mine is supported mostly by the two on the side... the ones that are on the middle part do hold some weight but mostly just allow wiring to run to the front...
Old 07-24-2011, 09:06 AM   #18
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

How big is the stocker?
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:36 AM   #19
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

The stocker is 6.1 gallons. The IMS is 6.6 gallons.

That extra half gallon would have been the difference between me needing to carry an external fuel can or not. I didn't want to, but now I will. Oh well, better than running out of gas on the Dalton.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:41 AM   #20
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Holy cow! Did yall see the pic of the clogged fuel filter from ethanol in the first link?
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote