Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 12-07-2009, 10:35 AM   #11
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

... Again, they're activists. Should they have had written permission?

The Boston tea party was an act of terrorism? Vandalism?

You may not like them because you don't agree with their cause, but they're obviously not reaching out to our type with these protests.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:40 AM   #12
Rider
Moto GP Star

Fuck Greenpeace. I hate those fuckers. I remember one time when the aircraft carrier I was on pulled into San Fransisco(1991), they were out there protesting our nuclear power in some POS sail boat. We should have blown their ass out of the water.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:46 AM   #13
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
As much as I hate em, they didnt hurt anything
They made someone have to go up and get them, and the crap banner that they hoisted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
Isn't that the idea of activism? You create a scene/drama to draw attention to your cause.

I think a bigger disappointment to green peace would be to not be in the headlines.

They're not spreading the word of god here. They're trying to effect change, and that doesn't happen from writing letters and playing by the rules.

I still think they're idiots. But, they're at least doing something..
You would be amazed at what you can get done by playing by the rules. When you act outside of them, in the manner depicted in this thread, you are throwing out any hope of being taken seriously in serious negotiations.

In short, you are using your political capital for kindling.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:51 AM   #14
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

I would like to know what change has ever been inacted in a country without some for of civil disobedience.

Has your letter writing campaign changed anything regarding the stunting laws in your province?
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:54 AM   #15
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
They made someone have to go up and get them, and the crap banner that they hoisted.

You would be amazed at what you can get done by playing by the rules. When you act outside of them, in the manner depicted in this thread, you are throwing out any hope of being taken seriously in serious negotiations.

In short, you are using your political capital for kindling.
They did exactly what they intended to. They got noticed. They knew they would get arrested, they knew it would be in the news, and that is what they were aiming for.

Dont get me wrong, I think they are asshats too. But they havent done anything to hurt anyone by doing this. Sure, its too bad none of them fell off (or were pushed), but its not like they were up there with a sniper rifle.

(and yes, I do hate greenpeace as much as anyone, but im just putting it in perspective)

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:58 AM   #16
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
I would like to know what change has ever been inacted in a country without some for of civil disobedience.

Has your letter writing campaign changed anything regarding the stunting laws in your province?
Many things have been accomplished this way, and will continue to be. Taking the activist approach only works to the good when government or industry refuses to listen, and then only in the "monkey wrench in the gears" fashion.

We now have several MPPs who wish to completely divorce themselves from anything that they had to do with the racing and stunting law. They are saying that they were sold a bill of goods which may well be the truth, as the definitions that apply to HTA 172 (held within Ont. Reg. 455/07) were developed separate from the law that was passed in the Legislative Assembly of Ontario.

Newspapers have started to write about this law, and how unjust it is. The circle of people in-the-know is widening.

Two appeals court judges have ruled that the section pertaining to possible imprisonment, for the simple offence of travelling at 50 Kmh over the limit, runs counter to the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Need I go on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
They did exactly what they intended to. They got noticed. They knew they would get arrested, they knew it would be in the news, and that is what they were aiming for.

Dont get me wrong, I think they are asshats too. But they havent done anything to hurt anyone by doing this. Sure, its too bad none of them fell off (or were pushed), but its not like they were up there with a sniper rifle.

(and yes, I do hate greenpeace as much as anyone, but im just putting it in perspective)
They obviously come from the school of thought that any publicity is good publicity. I disagree, and history tends to support my position.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:30 PM   #17
Destitute
Canyon Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
Stop the presses! A security guard had to get off his/her chair?! That's not what we pay them for, so we should start minting some medals.

I'm not a Greenpeace fan, but it seems like harmless attention whoring to me.
Destitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:37 PM   #18
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destitute View Post
Stop the presses! A security guard had to get off his/her chair?! That's not what we pay them for, so we should start minting some medals.

I'm not a Greenpeace fan, but it seems like harmless attention whoring to me.
There's also the necessity of getting them down before they accidentally pitched themselves off the roof, then sued because said security guard (likely a member of the RCMP) let them do something so stupid in the first place.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:43 PM   #19
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

I wish I would have known about this earlier. I could have called in sick and thrown snowballs at them.

Greenpeace sucks so much ass, George W is getting jealous.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:47 PM   #20
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_1052 View Post
I wish I would have known about this earlier. I could have called in sick and thrown snowballs at them.

Greenpeace sucks so much ass, George W is getting jealous.
Snowballs? I was picturing you laying atop the cenotaph with a 30-06