Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 05-06-2011, 07:26 AM   #11
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeptus_Minor View Post
You mean it isn't always doing that? Maybe it's just me...

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:56 AM   #12
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Helicopters dont need to be stealth to avoid RADAR, they just need to fly low, which happens to be what they are good at. Even some fixed wings (primarily C-130 variants practice NVG flying at 200-500 feet in other than flat terrain to utilize the fact that RADAR doesn't give 100% percent coverage. Not sure what the terrain around the villa was, but I do know that most ways leading into Pakistan from Afganistan are relatively mountainous and would be "training as usual' for 60 drivers, espicially if they happened to be from one of the units such as the 160th SOAR...
If they came in from the northwestthey would have flown through mountain ranges that reach between 7000 and 10000 ft which is well under its 20k ft service limit. Most of the valleys they would have flown through are fairly populous. If they came in from the southeast then they would have flown over plains, fairly flat, and slightly more populated than the north,but with plenty of farmland.

But stealth for a helicopter is more than just being able to see it with radar, flying a dark colored aircraft at night will prevent any visual identification, plus they are loud, and I would be willing to bet that many of the modification that would be made to a stealth helicopter include making it quiet so it can fly low without being heard.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:42 AM   #13
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

Buuhh buhp buhp bah
buhp buhp buhp bah
buhp buhp bah bah bah ba buhp buhp bah

WHAAAAAAAAAAA.

Stringfellow to Arch Angel, Dominick has got gas...Again.

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:18 AM   #14
AquaPython
put it THIS way

I didn't know this was a conspiracy, but rather accepted as fact. a top secret modified version of the ah-60, costing upwards of $90M.

one conspiracy i did hear is that the marines left the helo there on purpose. That is their "calling card" and serves as proof that it was indeed the US (namely the marines) that did this, and no one else. They have a history of leaving helicopters at the scene. Also, convenient that nobody got hurt from that chopper... when they fucking crash landed it! Shit, for 90 mil a pop, they better not be "stalling out" on light duty.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:20 PM   #15
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

It was the navy seals, not the marines.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:45 PM   #16
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaPython View Post
Also, convenient that nobody got hurt from that chopper... when they fucking crash landed it!

The only people in it at the time it crashed were probably the pilot, copilot, and one or two crew chiefs.

The Seals probably fast roped down instead of putting the helicopter in more danger at the start of an OP when there is an unknown number of badguys and weapons available to them than trying to land in what looks to be a fairly confined space. Retrieveing the seals and bin laden would have been much safer because they would at that point know who is left and what and if they have any weapons.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:03 PM   #17
Archren
Sham WOW

Moto: 2007 Ducati 1098

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
It was the navy seals, not the marines.
As it turns out.. it was an Army aviation unit.

http://battleland.blogs.time.com/201...rce-160-today/

The article mentions they fly BlackHawks.. but I'm willing to bet they're not your garden-variety BlackHawks.

The 160th SOAR's Page: http://www.campbell.army.mil/units/1...160thSOAR.aspx

And their recruiting video (where "modified helicopters" is one of the captions): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxeiG8IGN1c

I'm sure whatever special modifications they have aren't shown publicly for a reason.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

"Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss
Archren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 03:24 PM   #18
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

Much ado over nothing...We have far more capable and still unknown hardware about I am sure. Even if the Chinese got it they wouldnt know what to do with it for another decade or so...

And as for the SEALS? It was Osama. They would have gotten there one way or another even if they had to dig their way across the border...

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 03:52 PM   #19
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
Much ado over nothing...We have far more capable and still unknown hardware about I am sure. Even if the Chinese got it they wouldnt know what to do with it for another decade or so...

And as for the SEALS? It was Osama. They would have gotten there one way or another even if they had to dig their way across the border...
Meet China's new stealth fighter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAAwHsinqV0
Old 05-06-2011, 04:20 PM   #20
defector
My balls, your chin

Moto: 929, SV650, YZ250

(I know it isn't a helicopter), but I live near an Air Force base, and they had some new? F35's (so I am told) out there. Those things are fast as hell and pretty damn quiet from what I could see.