Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 08-01-2011, 03:00 PM   #11
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

We just got back from a 9 day whirlwind vacation, 4 days in DC, 1.5 in Virginia Beach, 1.5 in Charleston, and the rest was traveling time. IT was fantastic, but I definitely need a vacation from the vacation. I'm still tired! Other than the one day in Virginia Beach while the hubby was working and I sat on the beach with a book, it was non stop going. We loved it, and its typical for us.

Our next big trip will be Costa Rica, with rappelling, rafting, hiking, and so much more. No resting on our butts for us.

Our weekend getaways usually entail staying crazy busy too, either atv'ing, kayaking, hiking or whatever else we can get into.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:01 PM   #12
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
I go places I want to experience.
Same here. Sometimes that place is conducive to relaxing, sometimes it's geared for adventure; sometimes it's both.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:41 PM   #13
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
good point. Family travel (especially by plane) makes business travel seem like a freakin' vacation.
YES - absolutely freaking THIS

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:44 PM   #14
HurricaneHeather
AMA Supersport

Moto: '98 Honda Fireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
If your in a pool in your own neighborhood you are too close to home. Also that one might be packed with 60 kids. Plus you have laundry to do, grass needs to be cut. Don't forget about those rotten boards on the deck that need to be replaced. You have been busy for weeks so now is a good time to get some much needed cleaning around the house done.

Why was it that you were wondering why people like to go away to relax?

I talked to a guy at work that turns his phone off as he is leaving from work for his vacation and doesn't turn it on till he comes back. Everyone has a different form of vacation.

For me I would want to go see things. I can hang around the pool at night. One day by the pool would be nice but I like to go see a few things.

James

So basically, they can't control themselves if they are at a pool close-by? They have to drop money on a plane ticket and hotel just to refrain from mowing the grass? So what you are saying is, these people need therapy, not a vacation.

I get what you are saying....I still think it's a complete waste.

For instance, a co-worker recommended a resort that's about 20 minutes outside of Austin. We went with high hopes to find that there is jack shit to do there. When I got back I asked her what they did during the evenings because we were bored out of our minds and she said they go to the bar and listen to live music. Um...we live in Austin. Live Music Capital of the World. And you payed money to stay at a hotel that offers live music in a bar?! What?! I do that everyday!
HurricaneHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:10 PM   #15
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

I'm usually a good combination of both on a vacation. By most accounts, I don't think I've been on vacation for a very, VERY long time. In fact, my husband still owes me a honeymoon...

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:13 PM   #16
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

For me it's just days off, usually.

I don't normally have travel funds set aside unless someone I know is planning something and I want to go along, and now that I live alone and don't have anyone to leave the dog with, I'm pretty much stuck with day trips unless I can take her with me.

Now, when I do travel, yeah, I like to go and do and see things... and, of course, partake of the local cuisine.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:21 PM   #17
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHeather View Post
So basically, they can't control themselves if they are at a pool close-by? They have to drop money on a plane ticket and hotel just to refrain from mowing the grass? So what you are saying is, these people need therapy, not a vacation.

I get what you are saying....I still think it's a complete waste.

For instance, a co-worker recommended a resort that's about 20 minutes outside of Austin. We went with high hopes to find that there is jack shit to do there. When I got back I asked her what they did during the evenings because we were bored out of our minds and she said they go to the bar and listen to live music. Um...we live in Austin. Live Music Capital of the World. And you payed money to stay at a hotel that offers live music in a bar?! What?! I do that everyday!
LOL. Some people just want to get away from home and do nothing. I had weekends where I felt it was so busy during the week that I didn't want to do a damn thing on the weekend. It all depends on your life and what you do in it day to day.

When I had my detail shop I had a customer that had a boat. Many times that he stopped by the shop he would say that he was on the boat last night so I would ask him how it was. He would give me a strange look. Then I would remember that most of the time he wouldn't leave the dock. To him just being down on the water in HIS boat with a cigar and the girlfriend made his night. He worked hard as and exec for a company or two and it was nice to sit back at night on the boat.

Me I would enjoy that as well but I would want to take the boat out then come back and relax.

So for me I don't find it strange. Or not too strange. I wouldn't call it a waste but more like a missed opportunity if they traveled somewhere and spend the whole time poolside. I think you should see more then what you see out the window during the cab ride from the airport to the hotel. But what it comes down to is what makes them happy during their free time, with their money.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:34 PM   #18
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

I'm putting my dollars away for a trip to Jamaica, I like the Sandals all inclusive which give me a great vacation with no worries and its a blast. I'll probably go scuba diving between 5 and 7 times, a few snorkeling trips, then do an excursion each day there (like atv's, horses, rent a car and drive, climb a waterfall, cliff diving etc...). Then i play the resorts games, volley ball and the such.

When its just me I find that I wind up just going for a ride on my bike, which is super relaxing. My wife will take a few trips a year without me and go somewhere like atlantic city or ocean city to sit on the beach and read.

I agree that she can just read in the house or in the backyard or over by the pool if she wants water, but for her its about having nothing to do, no kids, hose bills, phone, just relaxing which she would not be able to do at home
Old 08-01-2011, 07:42 PM   #19
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

Typically I don't want a vacation from a vacation. Especially this year, I have been physically, mentally and emotionally drained. I only had time for some nearby weekend trips, 3x to phoenix and 1x to San Diego. All I really had the energy to do is sleep in, eat out and just be lazy. The most I did during those 4 trips was go to the SD Zoo. I just needed a change of scenery away from my apartment and Vegas and I like the drive on roadtrips. To me staying at home reminds me of studying.

Now right after graduation, after I take my boards, I will be going back to NY and it will be a pretty busy trip catching up with family, friends, food and shopping. But I will be in a different frame of mind at that point too and would have had about a month off from school.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:28 PM   #20
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
I usually stay home when I'm taking days off (which is rare) because I travel so much. Why the fuck would I want to get on another plane, in a car, on a train, etc on my day off when I do that all the time for work?

People ask me where I'm going on my rare days off and I just shake my head and walk away.
For me its get on the bike and ride

Karen is the type to veg and do nothing. We want ot go to australia, she will be vegging on the beach, I will be out in the bush looking for crocs and snakes LOL
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote