Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 09-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #11
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
The biggest problem that you guys have, is that there's no national strategy on firearms. It doesn't matter what an individual State's firearms laws are, if you can go just a State or two over and load up your trunk.
Respectfully Papa , there is a National Strategy,and it is quite clear on who can and cannot buy firearms. A federal Background check is required on every purchase. Additionally the Federal Government limits what can and can not be sold. Also because the ATF is one of the very few federal agencies that can "Rule by Decree" they can cancel or hold the sale of any weapon at will. (most notably they can also intimidate a Licensed Dealer into making what they believe to be an illegal sale as Proven by "Fast and Furious") What is then happens is each state then can pile on their own laws and restrictions in addition to the Federal Laws. As it Happens the States that have the most liberal gun laws have the least amount of gun crime and gun violence. Here in the NorthEast US Those that have Prohibitive laws like Mass New York and New Jersey Have the Highest rates of Gun Crime and Gun Violence. We could "Chicken and Egg" the reasons all day but the facts are here in the US Gun Laws do not prevent crime.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #12
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

I believe there is a national standard on gun laws in the US and you can find it in the 2nd ammendment. And with the Arizona ruling that basically states that state laws don't mean shit if it contradicts federal law, then I don't see how cities like NYC and Chicago can ban weapons that are legal according to the federal government.

I personally believe there are 2 things the government should not be allowed to have knowledge of. That is how much money someone makes and what individuals own guns.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:14 PM   #13
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
I believe there is a national standard on gun laws in the US and you can find it in the 2nd ammendment. And with the Arizona ruling that basically states that state laws don't mean shit if it contradicts federal law, then I don't see how cities like NYC and Chicago can ban weapons that are legal according to the federal government.

I personally believe there are 2 things the government should not be allowed to have knowledge of. That is how much money someone makes and what individuals own guns.
Beyond the Second Amendment there is the NFA which defines everything from the length of a Barrel.The overall length of a Firearm (for something to be considered a "Long Gun" It needs an Overall length of 26 plus inches) What is the maximum bore size (.50) Suppressors, what the make up of a projectile can be, Automatic fire all are defined. Papa's point was the conflicting state laws I believe. What has always been interesting to me is that Canada (which has some of the most prohibitive firearms law of any country) allows the importations of weapons that are illegal here in the US. (the VZ 58 jumps to mind)
Old 09-03-2012, 02:21 PM   #14
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

And yet there's enough variation, State to State, that interstate gun trafficking can and does exist.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #15
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Quote:
And yet there's enough variation, State to State, that interstate gun trafficking can and does exist.
Papa I suspect you are a victim for the media hype. There is No legal mean of Interstate gun trafficking. It is a federal offense period. Each firearm sale has to go through a Federal Background Check Meaning so anyone that is prohibited from owning a firearm the sale is blocked. The only firearm that can be bought by someone who is not a state resident is a long gun (Rifle or Shotgun). Even then the individual buying the weapon has to prove the purchase would be legal in his state of residence. It is Illegal at a federal and state level to sell a resident of another state a handgun of any kind. Hand guns have to be purchased in the state of the buyers residence each and every state does their own background check in addition to the Federal One. So the laws exist and are enforced. There is NO legal means of interstate trafficking. A Criminal is a Criminal and they will ignore whatever law is written.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:46 PM   #16
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

I'm not a victim of media hype. I also know that there's no LEGAL means of interstate gun trafficking. It's not, however, like you have border guards between your States.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:10 PM   #17
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Quote:
I'm not a victim of media hype. I also know that there's no LEGAL means of interstate gun trafficking. It's not, however, like you have border guards between your States.
Papa, I was not trying to be condescending I apologize if it came off that way. I see How the Media Portrays the Firearms and it is Hilarious in many ways. Form someone going to some Southern State and buying a trunk load of hand guns and driving them unnoticed to a state like NY. When the reality is that sequential purchase set off alarm bells at every level federal and state.I was responding to the idea that the there is no unified Federal Mechanism. There is and it works rather well. No it is not like we we have Border Guards although Here in NH we did have a Bill to Put Up signs Warning People that they are Entering Massachusetts because so much of what is legal in every other state is illegal in Massachusetts
Again My only point is that there is a Unified Federal Structure.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #18
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

Quote:
except, I can tell you from experience you can only buy a gun in the state you reside in or one state over. even though it is a Federal check you can not just go somewhere else and make your purchase.
If buying out of state the state where you purchase must border your state of residence.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:42 PM   #19
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

A shill legally buys firearms in one State, then sells them off to people in another State. Unless they've started up roving bands of Federal firearms inspectors, in the last couple of years, this method works very well for supplying people who wouldn't otherwise qualify for ownership.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:44 PM   #20
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

Quote:
A shill legally buys firearms in one State, then sells them off to people in another State. Unless they've started up roving bands of Federal firearms inspectors, in the last couple of years, this method works very well for supplying people who wouldn't otherwise qualify for ownership.
that would make one a convicted felon once caught.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote