Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 11-17-2008, 01:29 PM   #11
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceo012384 View Post
Unfortunately that's correct, Ed.

I have state farm, known to be among the best / most generous, and they stated that they are only required to replace what the state mandates you to wear (i.e. a helmet in MA... if your state doesn't require them you might be out of luck in that area, too)

That's what they told me when I asked about repairing my leathers.
Helmet is required here, but they(Liberty Mutual) don't cover it.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:30 PM   #12
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Moto: 06 R6 (race), 04 CRF Tard (race)

I would try arguing with them. It is a required safety item and it was damaged. It's like if your airbag went off in your car. They have to replace that shit.

Basically just as a general rule, argue with them and never accept their first offer... I argued for a couple days and came out pretty well on the deal.
ceo012384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:40 PM   #13
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceo012384 View Post
I would try arguing with them. It is a required safety item and it was damaged. It's like if your airbag went off in your car. They have to replace that shit.

Basically just as a general rule, argue with them and never accept their first offer... I argued for a couple days and came out pretty well on the deal.
Thanks for the advice Chris. I'll talk with them and see what they say.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:44 PM   #14
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF600R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
I argued for a little while on an acciedent where someone hit me head on (relatively low speed, car accident) and ended up getting a pretty decent check for my pain/suffering on top of my repairs being covered. I wasnt even in any pain though so it was basically for my inconveinience.
JoJoYZF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:45 PM   #15
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Moto: 06 R6 (race), 04 CRF Tard (race)

Quote:
No problem dude. Good luck.

It's not fun to be upset about wrecking your bike, and then on top of that have to deal with all sorts of paperwork and phone calls. You sort of just want it to be done and over with. I've been there. But a little persistence will help you come out better off.
ceo012384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:55 PM   #16
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Michigan is a no fault state. So the claim goes against my policy anyway no matter who is at fault.
Whoa buckaroo! Last I knew,Mi's no fault laws do not apply to motorcycles. When I was rear ended,the other guy's bike insurance paid for my bike and my medical because he was at fault.

Now as far as gear goes,some companies include a preset amount of gear coverage and some don't. If I were you,I'd look at my bike policy very closely... do not just trust the adjuster's word for it! Also,look into your auto policy and your home owner's policy. A lot of times,homeowner's insurance covers losses not covered by auto policies,like stolen and damaged personal items. Also,since another vehicle was involved,you may be able to claim your medical bills,lost work and your gear against his policy regardless of fault. Make sure you at least call them and check. Trust me,his truck ran over your leg,they would be MORE than happy to pay a couple medical bills,work days and for some gear than the cost of a lawsuit,win or lose! Besides,if they owe anything based on ins. law,your ins will subrogate the money from his company after the fact. Quite frankly,that guy probably called his ins company and they may be just waiting for you to call them.

Last edited by Amber Lamps; 11-17-2008 at 08:04 PM..
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:12 PM   #17
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Its not a michigan thing... a buddy of mine had progresshit and they covered his jacket and helmet.

As soon as your done with this claim and shit... dump them and go state farm.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:49 PM   #18
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

I have progressive. They would have covered any gear that was damaged- but they take whatever they pay for. I decided to keep everything except my gloves. They also pay for something like $3,000 in accessories.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:32 AM   #19
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Whoa buckaroo! Last I knew,Mi's no fault laws do not apply to motorcycles. When I was rear ended,the other guy's bike insurance paid for my bike and my medical because he was at fault.

Now as far as gear goes,some companies include a preset amount of gear coverage and some don't. If I were you,I'd look at my bike policy very closely... do not just trust the adjuster's word for it! Also,look into your auto policy and your home owner's policy. A lot of times,homeowner's insurance covers losses not covered by auto policies,like stolen and damaged personal items. Also,since another vehicle was involved,you may be able to claim your medical bills,lost work and your gear against his policy regardless of fault. Make sure you at least call them and check. Trust me,his truck ran over your leg,they would be MORE than happy to pay a couple medical bills,work days and for some gear than the cost of a lawsuit,win or lose! Besides,if they owe anything based on ins. law,your ins will subrogate the money from his company after the fact. Quite frankly,that guy probably called his ins company and they may be just waiting for you to call them.
I already have a claim into his insurance company for the medical bills. They are covering them all. Really it's not a big deal. The only gear that was damaged was the helmet. MY gloves are perfect not a mark on them. My jacket is in great shape once I washed it(It's textile). My boots, who cares, I needed new ones anyway. I'll call his insurance company and see if they'll cover my helmet. If not it's not the end of the world. Helmets are relatively cheap considering their function and I wanted to buy a new one anyway.

Oh and there was no fault cited in the accident since they calculated I was going 36 in a 35. The driver of the truck should have had a flagger at the top of the hill but he is required to have one. I spoke with a friend of mine who is a personal injury attorney and he told me that really unless there is some permanent physical damage they limits my ability to maintain my current lifestyle, I really don't have a case. The way the laws are written, You have to reach a minimum pre defined threshold of monetary damage, and it doesn't look like I would come anywhere close to that. I had an MRI on Sunday, so when I get the results back form that, then we will know if there is any further action I need to take.

Last edited by Rider; 11-18-2008 at 08:37 AM..
Old 11-18-2008, 09:47 AM   #20
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
I already have a claim into his insurance company for the medical bills. They are covering them all. Really it's not a big deal. The only gear that was damaged was the helmet. MY gloves are perfect not a mark on them. My jacket is in great shape once I washed it(It's textile). My boots, who cares, I needed new ones anyway. I'll call his insurance company and see if they'll cover my helmet. If not it's not the end of the world. Helmets are relatively cheap considering their function and I wanted to buy a new one anyway.

Oh and there was no fault cited in the accident since they calculated I was going 36 in a 35. The driver of the truck should have had a flagger at the top of the hill but he is required to have one. I spoke with a friend of mine who is a personal injury attorney and he told me that really unless there is some permanent physical damage they limits my ability to maintain my current lifestyle, I really don't have a case. The way the laws are written, You have to reach a minimum pre defined threshold of monetary damage, and it doesn't look like I would come anywhere close to that. I had an MRI on Sunday, so when I get the results back form that, then we will know if there is any further action I need to take.
OK, strange to me. In every state I've lived - it's been a no-fault state. Yet, in accidents that are clearly someone's fault THEIR insurance company has taken care of my damages.

I think you're being too nice.

36 in a 35? Let's talk error ratios, and the fact that getting an EXACT speed from a skid mark is impossible. I just did skid test training with a County Sheriff department at the track - no where in there did they EVER make an exact speed.

You are being TOO NICE and accepting their answers.

I'm not saying sue them. I'm saying just stand up a bit, it's alright. You aren't a bad person for doing it.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote