Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 10-10-2013, 09:43 PM   #251
Turbo Ghost
Movie Star

Moto: KLR650

Well, I finally started doing SOMETHING to try to get back the stamina I used to have.
Monday I started running. The street I live on has a cul-de-sac at the end and it's a 3/4 mile loop from my mailbox to there and back. Now, I know it doesn't sound like much but, it's a mild incline for the first part and then it goes down a very steep hill as in greater than 20 degrees of incline and back up an equal hill to the cul-de-sac!
On Monday I ran at a 16:20 mile pace with a peak of 6mph. My lungs were on a dry fire and all I could taste was blood and I probably looked like a bull mastiff with all the phlegm I was producing! It's the first time I've ran in probably 20 years!
Tuesday I ran at a 12:46 pace with a peak of 7mph. My lungs didn't hurt nearly as much and I was actually able to run all the way to the cul-de-sac without stopping before I started walking for a bit.
Wednesday I ran at a 10:12 pace with a peak of nearly 8mph. It still sucked but, slightly less than the previous days.
Today I went all to hell! I ran at a 10:14 pace with a peak of 7mph and it nearly killed me!
My biggest problem is the air is moving in and out but, it's like no oxygen is being exchanged! I fully breathe with my ribcage and diaphragm but, it's like the air is dead.
I downloaded Cardio Trainer by Noom and it's really cool but, I can't choose what songs to play while I'm running. It plays everything on my phone! I'm really tired of hearing my ringtones while I'm running! Also, for some reason it doesn't show elevation although that may be a feature for the pro (paid) version.
My plan is to keep running and hope I improve and my lungs start working. We'll see how it goes.
Turbo Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:49 PM   #252
Archren
Sham WOW

Moto: 2007 Ducati 1098

How often are you breathing? That is, are you just gasping for air the entire time or are you controlling your breathing? Find out what pace works for you, but I generally will start out at about 1 breath every 4 steps, and increase my breathing as I get more winded. YMMV, but it helps me. Or you can sing cadence.

Also, adding in the occasional sprint drills will actually help improve your overall endurance.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

"Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss
Archren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:36 AM   #253
XS2
Lurker

Moto: XS750

Starting a new routine for the winter months to build mass (I'm a skinny guy and I'm fit but real long and lanky looking). My strength is up but my bmi is down, so I'm changing some things, less cardio, more muscle building techniques, forced reps, drop sets, negatives, and hopefully it will help. I'm not trying to end up like Vin Diesel or anything, just want to look a little more healthy for my size lol.
XS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:45 AM   #254
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Well if Kaneman ever comes back, he can hook it up. He's the guy I told you about who's bulked up with that crazy diet...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:16 PM   #255
Triple
uncomfortably numb

Moto: WR250R & Bonneville

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Probably talked about this before, but who here does yoga?
I do the yoga workout as part of my P90X routine, which I'm told by more experienced yogi is actually pretty amateur. Still kicks my ass, though. For me, it's one of the hardest DVD's of the set. It lasts about 100 minutes total and there is one stretch of almost 40 minutes of nearly constant muscle-tension, no rest.

BUT, like you said, I feel great afterwards, and it seems to help me recover from the previous days' strength training as well. I dread starting the workout, but I'm always glad I did it when I'm done.
Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #256
XS2
Lurker

Moto: XS750

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Well if Kaneman ever comes back, he can hook it up. He's the guy I told you about who's bulked up with that crazy diet...
That'd be cool, definitely interested. I'm tring to double portions, especially post workout and at night.
XS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:13 PM   #257
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XS2 View Post
That'd be cool, definitely interested. I'm tring to double portions, especially post workout and at night.
The little bit that I told you about it is in this thread somewhere... and I probably got half of it wrong.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:32 PM   #258
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

I do power yoga. I love it but I won't do hot yoga. I get hot enough as it. It has to be like 75 degrees max with the fan blowing or I would overheat in any type of workout LOL. For that reason I don't run in the summer.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:34 PM   #259
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

Turbo Ghost- my endurance sucks ass. I like to run though and I can am pretty quick if I go balls out for a sprint, but for any type of mileage its really hard for me. I get winded really quickly. What has helped me is just breathing in and out of my nose to set the pace. If I can't breathe comfortably then I slow down.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:26 PM   #260
Turbo Ghost
Movie Star

Moto: KLR650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archren View Post
How often are you breathing? That is, are you just gasping for air the entire time or are you controlling your breathing? Find out what pace works for you, but I generally will start out at about 1 breath every 4 steps, and increase my breathing as I get more winded. YMMV, but it helps me. Or you can sing cadence.

Also, adding in the occasional sprint drills will actually help improve your overall endurance.
I'm using the same rhythm I used to use back when I training in Sanuces Ryu. It's the same rhythm as We Will Rock You with the beats trading between my breaths and my feet. Hard to describe I guess but, it always worked great and allowed me to run well without any loss of energy. The problem like I mentioned before is it's just like there's nothing in the air! I haven't done any sprint drills yet. I plan on getting "Zombies Run" later to integrate that into my runs. The reason I'm running where I am is the varied terrain. Start with a slight incline then a steep downhill and back up another then return on the same path. Then die on the couch!
I really got irritated after Thursday's run! I got home and chugged some Kool-Aid until I got near the bottom of my glass and I realized there were chunks of mold in it! Yeah, I think it had been in there a bit too long!
Turbo Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote