Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 02-25-2009, 01:47 PM   #21
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
When I've looked at moving south, I always came out worse there unless my employer provided medical. It wasn't by a small margin either.

Up here I get basic medical simply by being a citizen. In my current job I haven't had to pay a penny for dental in 10 years. I get life and travel insurance, by default. That, and my pay, makes it a tough combo to beat. Sure, I could probably (well now definitely) afford to buy a house down there but now here without singificant belt tightening, but you have to look at the whole picture. It's basically a wash.

Fine but we weren't discussing cost of living.

Dollar for dollar my income in Ontario would be taxed over 12% more than here. I can buy health and dental coverage for 4 people with that difference.
shmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:58 PM   #22
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Life saving is part of "basic services." I get tossed in an ambulance (might have to pay $40.00 for that trip) and get carted off to a hospital ER, from which point on I wouldn't pay a cent unless I wanted a private or semi-private room for my recuperation.

You?

Hmmm, i pay about $50 a paycheck for crappy coverage, it costs me $30 bucks to see a doc, $50 to see anyone other than a general practicioner, god forbid I have to go to the hospital or take an emergency ride...as I woud be out of pocket THOUSANDS...
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:04 PM   #23
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
Hmmm, i pay about $50 a paycheck for crappy coverage, it costs me $30 bucks to see a doc, $50 to see anyone other than a general practicioner, god forbid I have to go to the hospital or take an emergency ride...as I woud be out of pocket THOUSANDS...
That's why I always buy supplemental travel insurance when i go down there, despite the fact that I have it through my company policy also. One crash on the bike and a broken limb later, and I could be looking at a $50K medical bill.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:09 PM   #24
Amorok
Issukangitok

Moto: '06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

I have absolutely nothing to add to the insurance thing, I'm government property and am insured as such. They'll keep me alive by any means necessary until they get the passwords.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:14 PM   #25
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

A % of Medical cost is part of my compensation. Otherwise I'm looking at $700-$1000 for medical insurance. If I were to skip insurance and just pay for individual service rendered per vist (shudders)

Anethesioligists charge about what...$6000 an hour not included materials?
Doctors - 200-3000 an hour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:36 PM   #26
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorok View Post
I have absolutely nothing to add to the insurance thing, I'm government property and am insured as such. They'll keep me alive by any means necessary until they get the passwords.
Thankfully soon I will be too in a roundabout way, then I wont have to worry about it, just about what strange experiments the military docs will try to pull without telling me!
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:53 PM   #27
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Not a whole hell of a lot more than you. Possibly less, if you toss in things like paying for a health plan.
Are you part of the 65% of canadians that have supplementary private insurance?

Healthcare is fucked up pretty much everywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:53 PM   #28
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

Quote:
Life saving is part of "basic services." I get tossed in an ambulance (might have to pay $40.00 for that trip) and get carted off to a hospital ER, from which point on I wouldn't pay a cent unless I wanted a private or semi-private room for my recuperation.

You?
My rotator cuff surgery as far as I can tell didn't cost me anything, I suppose there was the $10 co pay office visits....
Rsv1000R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:57 PM   #29
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Are you part of the 65% of canadians that have supplementary private insurance?

Healthcare is fucked up pretty much everywhere.
I have additional health and medical insurance through my employer. This translates to being able to recuperate in a private room and having drugs that are not covered by OHIP being largely covered by that insurance. Nothing above that, and I haven't used even that yet. So far when I've been pitched off my bike it has always resulted in a ER visit and out-patient care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsv1000R View Post
My rotator cuff surgery as far as I can tell didn't cost me anything, I suppose there was the $10 co pay office visits....
What's your annual cost on medical insurance?

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:09 PM   #30
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

Quote:
What's your annual cost on medical insurance?
Well, depending how you want to slice it, it's 100% company paid for. I do pay $70/month more for my benefits than I'm given, But I also get dental, eye, AD&D and life ins for that amount.
Rsv1000R is offline   Reply With Quote