Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 11-29-2010, 10:58 AM   #21
Inferno
Canyon Carver

Moto: 08 R6

I would get a 9mm any day of the week and twice on sunday as a basic self defense round...for a few reasons.

1. It can kill deader than shit
2. Cheap
3. We will go here, but, the Zombie Appocolypse. When that happens(or any large scale disaster), you can best bet 9mm will be the easiest to get... .40sw will run out long before stockpiles of 9mm.
4. Can I shoot any 9mm haters in the arm with one?

Last edited by Inferno; 11-29-2010 at 11:01 AM..
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:13 AM   #22
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

before I get the label as a 9mm hater we did just get one for my g/f as well as the one I have. I just like the .40 that I got better. I'll shoot either, and would trust either.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:59 AM   #23
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
I would get a 9mm any day of the week and twice on sunday as a basic self defense round...for a few reasons.

2. Cheap
3. We will go here, but, the Zombie Appocolypse. When that happens(or any large scale disaster), you can best bet 9mm will be the easiest to get... .40sw will run out long before stockpiles of 9mm.
Obviously we don't carry (verboten in the prnj) but the house defense pistol is 9x18.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:01 PM   #24
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Please don't turn this thread into a debate over what caliber should be carried.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:19 PM   #25
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post

2. Cheap
We're not saying its not gonna hurt like all get out. Sure, I own a 9... but purely for target shooting. But I dont carry it. And all of the people saying a 9 will stop everyone if you shoot in the right place... but what it you don't? What if they are despirate, or cracked out? What if they are running for a family member? Wouldnt you want to do the most damage it possibly can wherever the hell it hits. I dont get why anyone would want to argue that point.

If you want stopping power....

Sorry Doll....
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:22 PM   #26
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
Sorry Doll....
Sure you are....

We went tonight to shoot this new toy. But the "we" ended up as just Erik. He didn't know I wanted to shoot it. Oh well, I don't shoot these very good anyway.

I rented a Springfield 1911-A1 and the guy then also gave me a Desert Eagle 1911 to shoot too. It was nice and very accurate. I just couldn't shoot it very much as it made the webbing in my thumb very sore.

Erik's range report on the H&K:

OK, finally I know what the LEM trigger feels like. A few guys had told me it was not that much different than a normal SA/DA trigger. I would have to say that's right. This gun is a V2 model, meaning it's an 7.5 to 8.5 pound DA trigger. It can be converted to a LEM V4 (*I think he means V1*)) at about 4lbs if someone wants to do it.
The trigger is crisp, and I mean like no other trigger I have shot. Staging this trigger 7/16 of an inch at a 3.5lb pull (per the manual) leaves no doubt that the gun is now ready to fire. It's a very defined "stop" at this point, and the remaining 5/16 (again per the manual) requires a slightly more deliberate pull (7.5 to 8.5lb) than some other guns, but it's smooth, consistent, and I found no problems getting used to this trigger. It's firm and precise.
This gun is absent of any external safeties in the trigger or on the slide. I love that about it. It does however have internal passive safeties which would take too much space here to explain.
Something else I like is that with the ammo I was shooting (Blazer 9mm 115g FMJ) the bullet goes right where the front sight is placed. There's no aiming below your desired point to hit a little higher, as is the case with my Springfield. It makes this gun very easy to shoot and then re-acquire quickly.
Below are my targets. The top one is the very first 12 shots I put through it at 15 feet just to feel it out. The bottom two are the last ammo I had, 12 rounds each time. They say the stall is 25 feet long, but I think it's closer to 30. So anyway, the bottom two are from 25 to 30 feet somewhere, at the end of the shoot when my eyes were starting to protest
All in all, very pleased with this purchase. I put a total of 125 rounds through it tonite, and I'm thinking I could have a new favorite gun on my hands.....we'll see after a few more trips to the range.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New HK first shots and misc 004.jpg (329.3 KB, 0 views)
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:59 AM   #27
caveman
mmmm, Beeeer

Moto: 08 HD Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Eh......I dont subscribe to the 9mm is for wimps argument.......I am no gun guy by any means, but to me the stopping power argument is over-rated. The only people who would keep charging you after you've shot them (assuming they actually stuck around after seeing your gun in the first place) are people who are completely strung out on something. This isn't the zombie apocolypse or something. Personally I would buy whatever caliber you feel most comfortable with. Ammo cost should also be considered, depending on how often you will use it. Besides, if stopping power was really the #1 criteria, nobody would buy either of those calibers. But they do.
Ok, firstly I guess I should say this; the difference between a .40 and a 9mm = 1mm. the .40 has also been refered to as a 10mm. However, I don't use the 9mm since the load of the .40 is heavier. I like the feel of the .40 shot over the 9mm.
Secondly, most LE agencies that give the option of what to carry are the little podunk towns the larger and major cities direct what to carry and most carry the .40

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
So then you won't mind if we shoot you with our 9mm right?
Sorry, Bub, only weapons in my house are a Glock 23 (.40) and the wifes Bersa .380. but your more than welcome to shoot the wife's Bersa if you are afraid of the Glock

Caveman

caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:56 AM   #28
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman View Post
Ok, firstly I guess I should say this; the difference between a .40 and a 9mm = 1mm. the .40 has also been refered to as a 10mm. However, I don't use the 9mm since the load of the .40 is heavier. I like the feel of the .40 shot over the 9mm.
Secondly, most LE agencies that give the option of what to carry are the little podunk towns the larger and major cities direct what to carry and most carry the .40

Sorry, Bub, only weapons in my house are a Glock 23 (.40) and the wifes Bersa .380. but your more than welcome to shoot the wife's Bersa if you are afraid of the Glock
Clearly, you misunderstood me, jackass.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:32 AM   #29
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Just keep looking at 9's. I carry a 40 and it's great. However, the 9 will do 90% the same damage and the rounds are cheaper. So it's cheaper to buy and cheaper to shoot. DONE.

That is one debate. The other is going to be brand.

That being said, buy as high of a dollar brand you can. Cheap guns are just that, CHEAP. Any of your big brands will do fine. It's all personal preference. I am a die hard glock lover. However, I enjoy the hell out of a Sig, cause it fires so smoothly, where my glock has more kick. It has more kick cause it's lighter, which makes it nicer to carry. Further, a glock is about $150 cheaper, and IMO more durable. They are tried and true. But again it's my opinion.

Race... nice lookin H&K.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:30 PM   #30
fnfalman
Europhile

Moto: Aprilia RS125, Aprilia SR50 Factory, Aprilia Tuono, BMW Rockster, KTM 990 Adventure

Other than the two abortions known as VP70 and P7, HK pistols had been very decent and the USP family is quite nice. Though they sure are fugly, I made the exception based on the reliability, durability and accuracy of the platform. But make mine a .45 and a 9 instead of the Short & Weak.

fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote