Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 02-25-2009, 11:29 PM   #21
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by zed View Post
I knew that about the group 3 oil. I'm sure others didn't though.

even using this oil I change it before 3K miles.

Oh yea and don't get me wrong if you change your oil every 3 months then you're good...I don't anymore. I change per the manufacture's recommended interval of about 5,000 miles. I know guys that swear you can go to 7-10,000 using Amsoil but I'm not that crazy...yet.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:30 PM   #22
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
I've got 3 years street/road course/dragstrip use on it.

don't mess with me but it's got less than 20K on the clock. if you worked in a dealership you would get sick of bikes too.
Well then I'd have to find a new job!!!!
Old 02-25-2009, 11:33 PM   #23
zed
yellow don't corner well

Moto: 06 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Oh yea and don't get me wrong if you change your oil every 3 months then you're good...I don't anymore. I change per the manufacture's recommended interval of about 5,000 miles. I know guys that swear you can go to 7-10,000 using Amsoil but I'm not that crazy...yet.
I remember in the early 90's when I was working at a Ford dealership people would bring in synthetic oil for us to do the oil change (we didn't carry any). the customers told us that you never have to do another oil change, just change the filter. I didn't believe it then either.

no, I wouldn't go that far without an oil change. I'm not even going to 5K. oil and filter are a lot cheaper than motor work.

Quote:
Well then I'd have to find a new job!!!!
unfortunately, I am trying right now.
zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:42 PM   #24
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
I remember in the early 90's when I was working at a Ford dealership people would bring in synthetic oil for us to do the oil change (we didn't carry any). the customers told us that you never have to do another oil change, just change the filter. I didn't believe it then either.

no, I wouldn't go that far without an oil change. I'm not even going to 5K. oil and filter are a lot cheaper than motor work.

unfortunately, I am trying right now.
Hey I know people who bought group 5 synthetic and have 50,000+ miles just changing the filter and adding a "booster" every 10,000 I think. There have been several very positive tests on this subject. The thing is,cars/bikes/oils/gasolines have changed and you just don't get the metal/dirt in you motor like you used to. I used to work for a garage doing oil changes when I was young and the crude that used to come out of the drain plug was terrible! I later worked for Ashland oil and I would see the used oil from Valvoline. Heck,some of that stuff looked almost re-usable.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:49 PM   #25
zed
yellow don't corner well

Quote:
Hey I know people who bought group 5 synthetic and have 50,000+ miles just changing the filter and adding a "booster" every 10,000 I think. There have been several very positive tests on this subject. The thing is,cars/bikes/oils/gasolines have changed and you just don't get the metal/dirt in you motor like you used to. I used to work for a garage doing oil changes when I was young and the crude that used to come out of the drain plug was terrible! I later worked for Ashland oil and I would see the used oil from Valvoline. Heck,some of that stuff looked almost re-usable.
maybe it's just me, just like some people will change to syn after they change their oil at 20 miles for the first oil change. I didn't and don't suggest people do it either. I''m not going to give information that "I" don't trust to someone. I don't want the liability.

wondering, that 50K miles, is that on a bike?
Old 02-26-2009, 12:10 AM   #26
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
maybe it's just me, just like some people will change to syn after they change their oil at 20 miles for the first oil change. I didn't and don't suggest people do it either. I''m not going to give information that "I" don't trust to someone. I don't want the liability.

wondering, that 50K miles, is that on a bike?

Oh no a few cars have/are doing it. I'll see if I can find it but there was a test a few years ago that a company ran two motors at full throttle,one with regular oil and one with synthetic. I forget how long the syn motor ran but it was forever!
Old 02-26-2009, 12:13 AM   #27
zed
yellow don't corner well

Quote:
Oh no a few cars have/are doing it. I'll see if I can find it but there was a test a few years ago that a company ran two motors at full throttle,one with regular oil and one with synthetic. I forget how long the syn motor ran but it was forever!
ok, I'll go with that. wasn't that a castrol commercial though?

it'd have to be one hell of an oil to take the abuse of a motorcycle engine for 50K
Old 02-26-2009, 12:16 AM   #28
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
ok, I'll go with that. wasn't that a castrol commercial though?

it'd have to be one hell of an oil to take the abuse of a motorcycle engine for 50K

I remember that one! Nah it was back when syn first came out...and it was an independent lab test not a commercial.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:04 AM   #29
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

Depending on the bike, and what I can find I use either Redline, Amsoil, or Mobil 1, and I use M1 in all the cars. I've taken some of the car engines apart, and at 80,000+ miles the cam lobes didn't have any wear, and there was no sluge in the engine.
Rsv1000R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:43 AM   #30
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

For people who don't race, it's a moot point..........The average bike owner only logs about 12K on a bike before selling it. For those people, spending $8 per quart on exotic oils is a complete waste.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote