Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 07-02-2009, 09:51 PM   #21
Kerry_129
Semi-reformed Squid

Yummy! Good reality checks - I really hope I never look down and see something similar at the end of one of my limbs (or anyone I'm riding with - I've been very lucky in that regard).

I think we also should recognize & remember that 'wearing gear' can often lessen the extent of injury, but the kind of force that caused the worst of those injuries will fuck a body up regardless of the outer layer. I know some guys who seem to have it in their heads that since they're usually in full leather it's like a 'suit of invincibility' or something. Best & first line of protection is between the ears.
Kerry_129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:02 PM   #22
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
So we are in agreement here?
I think we are since the pics of you guys getting towed clearly shows both of you in jeans, I think Dave is wearing tennis shoes.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:05 PM   #23
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
Something tells me the last pic of the hand is going need to be removed.
You'd be surprised what they can do! I don't know if anyone at the rally noticed but my left hand was cut almost in half and crushed in an accident a few years ago. Chain+sprocket+hand= ouch!
Old 07-02-2009, 10:10 PM   #24
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
You'd be surprised what they can do! I don't know if anyone at the rally noticed but my left hand was cut almost in half and crushed in an accident a few years ago. Chain+sprocket+hand= ouch!
Awe hell, this is not the Tigger I know, you gotta post up a pic
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:37 PM   #25
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
I think we are since the pics of you guys getting towed clearly shows both of you in jeans, I think Dave is wearing tennis shoes.
Hey, i've been down before, and felt the pain of road rash, and yes if I chose to ride like that for a night ride through Philly, then that is my choice. I chose to wear my helmet, and no jacket, if I go down it is my skin and I have nobody to blame except me. I've been there and done that and I got the Tshirt to prove it, or at least what is left of the t-shirt. However I also reccoment that people wear gear all the time too, but I'm not gonna shove it down your throat.

I bet that if I look through my old pictures I can come up with a dozen other pictures wearing jeans and a t shirt, and just as many pictures wearing a full suit. I dress myself according to the riding I expect to do.

Here is a picture of me really squidding it out

Again just as long as you are willing to accept the consequences of your actions do whatever you feel you need to do and so will I, although I recommend gear do what you want.

Last edited by derf; 07-02-2009 at 10:47 PM..
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 01:33 AM   #26
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tached1000rr View Post
Awe hell, this is not the Tigger I know, you gotta post up a pic
I think everyone has seen it but okay...

Old 07-03-2009, 01:36 AM   #27
Sixxxxer
Like Gixxxxer But Not

Moto: 2008 ZX6R

Derf that was the fucking slow race at the rally

LMAO
Old 07-03-2009, 01:40 AM   #28
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixxxxer View Post
Derf that was the fucking slow race at the rally

LMAO
So what we were all on the bikes, and if I remember correctly i at least wore my helmet while everyone else did not, and we all rode from TWO to the gas station (all 100 feet) on a public road. I was just proving a point that we were wearing gear that each person deemed appropriate for the riding at the time.

It would have been quite easy for someone to slip up accelerate out of control and be dragged along side the bike for miles on end while their skin was worn away by the sandpaper effect that the road would have on your body until you sideswipe a car causing you to go airborne, miraculously landin back on 2 wheels, but at the same time breaking your back while the bike keeps accelerating out of control due to some random throttle malfunction. then when things just couldn't get any worse you come to a curve in the road and the bike goes off the side of the mountains hitting every tree rock and bush on the way down, ultimately landing in a river where a pack of alligators and wolfs battle it out for your rotting carcass while you struggle to free yourself from under the bike. Then a small privately owned airplane could have crash landed on you killing all the wolfs and your lifeless burned body would be dragged into a nearby lake where they perform a deathroll while you viloently punch at his nose until he gives up. then the rednecks come and have their way with you in their KKK moonshine shed out back and you stay there for months on end getting anally raped by a 1 tooth white supremacist Pulp fiction style. All that could have been prevented by wearing leathers and being able to initially free yourself from the bike!

Last edited by derf; 07-03-2009 at 01:48 AM..
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 06:02 AM   #29
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
Something tells me the last pic of the hand is going need to be removed.
nah its not that bad its only a partial degloving injury. May not have full use of it and some skin grafts but that will be about it.

My friend had a degloving at the job site that went up to the guys elbow, now that was some scary stuff.

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 11:34 AM   #30
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

I just feel awkward without my leather jacket and gloves and fuck as all hell if I can shift in sneakers or anything other than my boots.

My only weakspot is that I ride in jeans.

I even toss everything on just to go to the gas station (a 10 minute walk).
On very hot days I have the camel back-a-mo -bob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote