Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 02-18-2009, 09:47 PM   #21
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
Here to help! That's why I'm a ridercoach.

Hey speaking of that...do you use a partner or do you use a sag measurement kit like this one...

http://www.motionpro.com/tech/articl...ing_sag_scale/
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:38 PM   #22
PhiSig1071
Let go of my ears.

Moto: '03 GSX-R600, '04 625SMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Hey speaking of that...do you use a partner or do you use a sag measurement kit like this one...

http://www.motionpro.com/tech/articl...ing_sag_scale/
I use a few buddies to help, I don't want to be your "partner"

The problem is you need to measure sag to include when the suspension is completely unloaded, as in rear tire is off the ground. If you want to do that on your own it's kind of a bitch unless you have special stands.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:42 PM   #23
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
I use a few buddies to help, I don't want to be your "partner"

The problem is you need to measure sag to include when the suspension is completely unloaded, as in rear tire is off the ground. If you want to do that on your own it's kind of a bitch unless you have special stands.

Yea but you only have to measure that once and really,isn't that number in the service manual under "suspension travel"? I mean that number is never going to change right? The numbers you really need to get are when the bike is alone vs with a rider. Can't you get those using stands?
Old 02-18-2009, 11:53 PM   #24
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

I'm trying something other than Pilot Powers. I'm getting some Bridgestone BTO16s mounted to my black wheels which are currently being pinstriped. A couple of buddies won't shut up about how nice they are, so I'm giving 'em a shot.

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:59 PM   #25
PhiSig1071
Let go of my ears.

Moto: '03 GSX-R600, '04 625SMC

Quote:
Yea but you only have to measure that once and really,isn't that number in the service manual under "suspension travel"? I mean that number is never going to change right? The numbers you really need to get are when the bike is alone vs with a rider. Can't you get those using stands?
It's a LOT more complicated than that. You are figuring out how much your suspension compresses under the weight it is supporting, that includes the weight of the bike and the rider (and gear! you'd be amazed how many people measure sag in basketball shorts and a t-shirt not taking into account how much leathers weigh). "Suspension Travel" in your owners manual is the distance from full compression to full extension, it doesn't take into account the amount your suspension settles under the weight of the bike. And because the suspension is supporting that weight you need to take it into account in your adjustments.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:09 AM   #26
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
It's a LOT more complicated than that. You are figuring out how much your suspension compresses under the weight it is supporting, that includes the weight of the bike and the rider (and gear! you'd be amazed how many people measure sag in basketball shorts and a t-shirt not taking into account how much leathers weigh). "Suspension Travel" in your owners manual is the distance from full compression to full extension, it doesn't take into account the amount your suspension settles under the weight of the bike. And because the suspension is supporting that weight you need to take it into account in your adjustments.
Hmmm yea but didn't you say you lift the bike until the tire is off the ground? That's full extension and the shock/fork's design will only allow it to go so far... Shoot,I thought I understood this shit! I take the max extension number for granted and adjust preload based on the bike alone vs bike with rider numbers...
Old 02-19-2009, 12:10 AM   #27
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLIT View Post
I'm trying something other than Pilot Powers. I'm getting some Bridgestone BTO16s mounted to my black wheels which are currently being pinstriped. A couple of buddies won't shut up about how nice they are, so I'm giving 'em a shot.
I'm using the BT-016s right now...the jury is still out-I REALLY liked my Pirellis!
Old 02-19-2009, 01:12 AM   #28
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

Quote:
I'm using the BT-016s right now...the jury is still out-I REALLY liked my Pirellis!
We shall see. I'll be going to my favorite spot on Sunday to break 'em in.

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:56 AM   #29
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty72 View Post
I warn you, be cautious on the first ride.
The fast turn/tip in that everyone loves with them on a Jap bike = super twitchyness on a Buell for the first miles. (at least on the 1125)
I like the Corsa's...and they are wearing pretty nicely. But I loved the Pilot Powers. So I figure I'll run a set and see whats what.

The XB might even have sharper geometry than the 1125. Not sure on that.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:01 AM   #30
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
yeah the corsa IIIs are lovely, I tried the PP 2CTs and to be honest I prefer the regular PPs to them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote