Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-08-2008, 11:45 AM   #21
Amorok
Issukangitok

Moto: '06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

It's been chilly here too. Everybody is bitching about how "cold" it is, one guy actually put his bike up for the year. Incedentally, the coldest it's been is around 30. 30 above zero. Pussies.

Angee, after five years in North Dakota I can tell you, cold weather is nothing to play with. Get your sweat wicking under armor spandex crap, the put long underwear made of raw silk over it, then put a layer of woll over that, then put a layer of heavy denim over that, then put a layer of leather over this. You can substitute a Carhart suit for the leather, or you can wear Gore-Tex over the leather, but that's the best way to do things. Get some of those woll socks with the neoprene layer inside and a pair of Thinsulate Danners. Might want some flannel or fleece in there somewhere too.

Also remember, you want a little air space in between your layers, it'll keep you warmer, but seal that air off from the outside.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:59 AM   #22
ericr
I'm so much cooler online

Moto: 06 FZ1

We've already had a record low of 14F a few weeks ago and we've had a lot of 20's since the start of November. We usually don't get this much until February. It's not THAT cold really, just more than we usually get.

I worked in a cold storage warehouse for a year once that was -20F in the warehouse, -50F w/ a 60mph wind in the blast freezer and the truck loading dock was a cozy 40F...in the summer. I stayed sick working there, if i was helping my guys load a rail car i'd be in a t-shirt to keep from sweating in the -20F! There's no way I'd live far enough north to have that kind of weather outside

Eric: ibu what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
but I'm perfectly placed when I'm on my knees . . . .
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:19 PM   #23
Angee
Dutch's PITA

Moto: I ride Dutch...and an 09 Kawi 250

It was 4 degrees this morning when I got up...brrrrrr! I wore my underarmour last night to the studio, and it helped when outside (just long enough to smoke). I would look kind of funny going to work with all those layers on, and I'd have to strip befor sitting at my desk! Seriously though, we aren't riding this year at all, as we sold our bike for the move north. I'm planning on getting one come spring, and collecting lots of cold weather gear for if we do make a cold-weather run on the bike. I don't want to have to put the bike up in October. I'm spoiled on Tennessee weather being able to ride basically all year. I just have to quit when the snow and salt comes out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
Those things are awesome. We gave out the clap and syphilis last christmas.
Angee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:32 PM   #24
Method
Canyon Carver

Moto: MTA

*Looks out window at times square clock tower*

Yup, 29 degrees. I'm staying inside.
Method is offline   Reply With Quote