Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 02-26-2009, 11:46 AM   #31
zed
yellow don't corner well

Moto: 06 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
For people who don't race, it's a moot point..........The average bike owner only logs about 12K on a bike before selling it. For those people, spending $8 per quart on exotic oils is a complete waste.
yep, I've had people ask about break in, what oil to use, some ask what will happen if they don't break it in like the manufacturer says. a couple I told pretty much what you said about most people not keeping them more than a few years so it don't really matter what you do.
zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:55 PM   #32
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

Quote:
For people who don't race, it's a moot point..........The average bike owner only logs about 12K on a bike before selling it. For those people, spending $8 per quart on exotic oils is a complete waste.
Quote:
yep, I've had people ask about break in, what oil to use, some ask what will happen if they don't break it in like the manufacturer says. a couple I told pretty much what you said about most people not keeping them more than a few years so it don't really matter what you do.
Well shoot, if that's the case why change the oil at all.
Rsv1000R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:03 PM   #33
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsv1000R View Post
To keep your garage floor from building up too much traction.

JC
Old 02-26-2009, 01:27 PM   #34
RedRider2k2
Holier Than Thou

Moto: 06 ZX10R, 18 400 Ninja, 11 KLX250s

I dont think anyone has mentioned it but if you're worried about using Rotella because it's "Car oil" and has "Friction modifiers" well...Stop worrying.

Rotella is a Diesel oil. It doesnt have the same additive package and doesnt effect wet clutches. One thing people used to worry about with it was foaming. But since it runs just fine with all the gearing in the front end of a Diesel and is also called for in some Alison Automatics, it's safe to say it's fine to use.
RedRider2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:15 PM   #35
zed
yellow don't corner well

Moto: 06 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsv1000R View Post
I've seen 3 year old bikes come in to get their first oil change with the customer saying something along the lines of I finally got those 600 miles on her.

never underestimate the stupidity of some people.
zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:14 PM   #36
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

I'm convinced that the reason most guys use expensive oils is so they can brag about it. Men are judged by how well they treat their machinery. Ever notice how the average oil change interval has gotten lower and lower, even while the quality of oil has increased? I remember 20 years ago the standard was like 7,500 miles, then it dropped to 5,000, then 3,000, and now you have guys doing 2,000. Meanwhile the oil they use is twice as good as what was available back then.

Do I use synthetic, yes, either Rotella or M1, but that's because my car is older and has hydraulic lifters that often get clogged with deposits if you don't use a good oil. And those oils only cost about $4 a quart, not $8 like Amsoil or Redline.

Last edited by Homeslice; 02-26-2009 at 03:38 PM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:40 PM   #37
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

Quote:
I'm convinced that the reason most guys use expensive oils is so they can brag about it. Men are judged by how well they treat their machinery. Ever notice how the average oil change interval has gotten lower and lower, even while the quality of oil has increased? I remember 20 years ago the standard was like 7,500 miles, then it dropped to 5,000, then 3,000, and now you have guys doing 2,000. Meanwhile the oil they use is twice as good as what was available back then.
The engine clearances aren't the same either.

I switched over because I had turbos, and read an article in turbo about synthetic, and saw the test results they published.

Since then, I saw how little wear there was on cam lobes at like 85k miles.
Rsv1000R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:56 PM   #38
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:

Do I use synthetic, yes, either Rotella or M1, but that's because my car is older and has hydraulic lifters that often get clogged with deposits if you don't use a good oil. And those oils only cost about $4 a quart, not $8 like Amsoil or Redline.

Oh yea,I just got my "I use Amsoil because I am Wunder-Shone" t-shirts back from the graphics shop last night. I can't WAIT to rock those babies at Hooters on Bike Night!!!!

I hate to say this because I'm gonna jinx myself but since going to Amsoil I have not had even one engine,trans or clutch problem. I swear by it and for the $10 extra bucks or so I pay per oil change... Besides,I change every 5,000 anyway. If I was back using some cheap crap I'd probably have to change every month because of the shifting situation. I like my smooth shifts.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:22 PM   #39
Yamerhaw
Country Boy

Moto: 07 R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRider2k2 View Post
I dont think anyone has mentioned it but if you're worried about using Rotella because it's "Car oil" and has "Friction modifiers" well...Stop worrying.

Rotella is a Diesel oil. It doesnt have the same additive package and doesnt effect wet clutches. One thing people used to worry about with it was foaming. But since it runs just fine with all the gearing in the front end of a Diesel and is also called for in some Alison Automatics, it's safe to say it's fine to use.

i change oil, that's my job, some customers are changing rotella in there trucks at 12-15k, so it seems to be good oil for a diesel, i've never ran it in a bike so i dont know much about it, all i do know is that a diesel tachs about 3k, and a bike tachs about 13-17k,

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.
Yamerhaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:28 PM   #40
Yamerhaw
Country Boy

Moto: 07 R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Oh yea,I just got my "I use Amsoil because I am Wunder-Shone" t-shirts back from the graphics shop last night. I can't WAIT to rock those babies at Hooters on Bike Night!!!!

I hate to say this because I'm gonna jinx myself but since going to Amsoil I have not had even one engine,trans or clutch problem. I swear by it and for the $10 extra bucks or so I pay per oil change... Besides,I change every 5,000 anyway. If I was back using some cheap crap I'd probably have to change every month because of the shifting situation. I like my smooth shifts.

i agree with the smooth shifting, and i'm an amsoil guy myself, i believe when they started i think in the 70's, they made a gaurantee that if you ever had an engine fail, blow, because of an oil related isssue, they would repair or replace your engine, and have never had to repair or replace one.....now i dont know how many engines let go because of an oil issue, but i dont think any other companies offer a gaurantee like that

all i know is Amsoil is good shit, no doubt, and if you're gonna run car/diesel oil in your bike, at least use synthetic

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.
Yamerhaw is offline   Reply With Quote