Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 02-22-2010, 12:54 PM   #31
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple View Post
It's been in the 20's here each morning for months. Not as frigid as it is back home in Michigan, but cold enough, no?

And is that typical? I lived in North Carolina, and I'd say it only went into the 20's like 30-40 days a year.

And here in CA, the nights can be cold even in the middle of the summer. Not so in the South.

Regardless, I've never had a problem with the BACK of my hands. It's the palm and fingers that get cold with me, which is why heated grips work great.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:58 PM   #32
MILK
The cows want you dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
And is that typical? I lived in North Carolina, and I'd say it only went into the 20's like 30-40 days a year.

And here in CA, the nights can be cold even in the middle of the summer. Not so in the South.

Regardless, I've never had a problem with the BACK of my hands. It's the palm and fingers that get cold with me, which is why heated grips work great.
Excellent question! I live in NC now and although some mornings it is that cold it doesn't stay that way long. We've had a cold winter though compared to most years.. It was 60 yesterday!
MILK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:26 PM   #33
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILK View Post
Excellent question! I live in NC now and although some mornings it is that cold it doesn't stay that way long. We've had a cold winter though compared to most years.. It was 60 yesterday!
Yep and I rode from about 11am to 4 pm!!!!!! Other than some sandy spots it was fucking AWESOME!!!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:44 PM   #34
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple View Post
If I get this Bandit (or any other bike equipped with actual handlebars), I'm going with heated grips inside some kind of hand guard. Sounds like the grips will suffice so long as the wind is deflected away from the hands.

Bulky gloves don't really bother me-- you get used to them-- but I don't like the idea of being plugged into my bike.
I think you'll be fine. My heated grips keep most of my hand warm. It's the two fingers on each hand that stay out on the levers that freeze.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:01 AM   #35
Krabill
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 08 WR250R, 12 XTZ1200

I commute all year long as long as there isn't snow and ice on the road. I've tried everything you can think of to keep warm. Started out with big insulated gloves. Then I added heated grips, which helped a ton, but my hands still got cold below 40F or so. Now I've moved on to a heated jacket/glove combo along with my heated grips and I can say without a doubt I should have done it sooner.

It was 23 this morning and with my heated jacket my body stays warm and the heated grips/gloves combo work together to keep my hands warm. The grips heat the bottom of your hand and the gloves heat the top side. Works like a charm.

I've got Warm & Safe heated gear, btw.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:05 AM   #36
CasterTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill View Post
The grips heat the bottom of your hand and the gloves heat the top side. Works like a charm.
Now add electric socks and it's like riding in a warm bath But I feel like NEO in the matrix plugged into the bike like that
Old 02-23-2010, 08:45 PM   #37
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

heated grips with hippo hands ftw

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:50 PM   #38
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Heated jacket liner with glove plug-ins at the wrist.

I'm with Krabill on this one, should have done it years ago.

WTF is with you, "Don't like being wired to the bike people"?

What you think might happen?

JC
Old 02-24-2010, 06:56 AM   #39
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
Heated jacket liner with glove plug-ins at the wrist.

I'm with Krabill on this one, should have done it years ago.

WTF is with you, "Don't like being wired to the bike people"?

What you think might happen?

JC
Well I don't Like being wired to the Bike because I am a CLUTZ and likely to walk away breaking the wire. Which is not to say electric gears is not great ,, I am simply not comfortable with it for my application.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:56 AM   #40
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhgunnut View Post
Well I don't Like being wired to the Bike because I am a CLUTZ and likely to walk away breaking the wire. Which is not to say electric gears is not great ,, I am simply not comfortable with it for my application.
I walk away while connected all the time.

With the older SAE plugs, it was an issue, because those bastards DO NOT come apart easily. The newer "Barrel" style plugs, pop right out when you put some pressure on them.

On the Duc, I installed a small "waterproof" bulk-head connector in the side panel. Flip the trap door open, and plug in. I rewired my battery tender with a matching barrel connector, so I can plug that into the same spot, without fucking around with the seat, or dangling wires.

JC