Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Manufacturer War

Old 02-25-2009, 02:17 PM   #31
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsv1000R View Post
Better yet, you could build them all in an engine simulator and see that they make the same hp/torque curve relationship we see between 600/1000 I4's and 1000 twins. And then toss in a 6 just because you can....

There's a 900 and 750 of the same head design as the cbx, But I'm not sure if there's a 1000.....
im curious about the crank layout though. Was it an even screamer setup or some kind of offset balance? And smiley thats how i feel about ducs lol
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:34 PM   #32
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
im curious about the crank layout though. Was it an even screamer setup or some kind of offset balance? And smiley thats how i feel about ducs lol
I don't remember what Honda used on the CBX.
Rsv1000R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:10 PM   #33
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

ill hve to see if bike bandit has a microfiche for it. Oughtta settle the question
Old 02-25-2009, 03:20 PM   #34
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

oh Ducs and Aprilias have their place. Both fine bikes and very desirable. I just don't see any great advantage to owning either. I guess i am just turned to see bikes for what they are rather than what they mean.

For example an RSV-R means Ohlins, Marchesini, and booming torque. What they are to me are no different from other marques, an expression of freedom and pleasure. But is that name brand stuff going to give me any more of the last two? Can I get the same with OEM Kawi or Honda stuff? Will I be better off on a CBR1000?

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:35 PM   #35
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
Can I get the same with OEM Kawi or Honda stuff?

You might, but it seems as though people sure do spend a lot of money adding those things to their OEM Honda's and Kawi's.

I'd rather let the factory engineers spec the upgrades, as oppose to Bubba at the local bike shop.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:26 PM   #36
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

Sorry to Hi Jack First let me say Love twins and I4s , love the opposed 6 on my wing and on 4 wheels have a very special weakness for Rotarys. But could one of the engineering types explain to why a V2 seems so much mre forgiving in the twisties? This may be pure perception on my part but the twin powered sport bikes I have ridden "Feel" much easier for me to to make dance in the twisties Whether we are talking Tl100 SV1000 DL1000 RC51 Buell XB12 or my own Duc 999 all feel much easier to handle then their I4 brethren. I have been on GSXR 1000 R1's and a 1 liter Honda (can't remember the designation) They all have great Chassis and accept for the air cooled Buells have great Motors (not a hater just not my favorite) It can't be just chassis.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:54 PM   #37
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

My theory, twins are narrower and feel "just so" when getting thru a set of bends. Also helps that you can surf the wide power band allowing you to concentrate on the corner rather than shifting and all.

Most twins have a heavier crank but the weight is distributed low and in front, giving an added feeling of stability and carvability while leaned in.

Alot of buzzy fours with the weight higher and lighter reciprocating assembly (crank, rods) spinning faster can feel flighty and nervous.

Oh and upgrades ? I have been known to want to upgrade my budget rides immediately (myself) but I have never bought a premium ride like a front line supersport and felt the need to do anything other than ride it

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:02 PM   #38
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

I4's have a lot of their mass all hanging out the sides, and just like a skater, the closer your mass is tucked into the centerline the faster you spin.
Also from what I've read, the sweet spot for the crank centerline is inline with the axles, or close to it.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:05 PM   #39
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

id imagine the motocyz would feel as good or better than most twins
Old 02-26-2009, 01:39 PM   #40
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
id imagine the motocyz would feel as good or better than most twins
Well that's the intent, But not all of the bikes where some or all of the spin was canceled out have worked well.

Actually I think the reverse rotating cranks didn't work very good, and at least some of the counter rotating crank bikes did okay.