Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-31-2010, 03:53 PM   #31
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Ok understanding drewpy is a moron is easy.

But wtf is up with the man bleeding nips?
when you run long distances your moobs tend to rub raw on your shirt, vic's dad used to run marathons and he'd wear pasties
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 04:20 PM   #32
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Effffff that dude.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 04:21 PM   #33
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Hahahaha...I knew visual aids would work.

Again, why the fuck would you run, unless someone was chasing you?

Old 08-02-2010, 05:53 AM   #34
Amorok
Issukangitok

Moto: '06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

Drewp, try out http://www.halhigdon.com. Lots of good information including a training schedule, equipment recommended, and stories. Good luck.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:13 AM   #35
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Drewpy... you have more than enough time to be able to work up to finishing...

not saying your gonna set any records, but that's not what it's about anyways. 13.6 miles isn't as long as you'd think.

start by doing a couple 5k's and 10k's... as long as you can finish a 10k with out stopping or feeling like you "must stop" you'll be fine come the .5 marathon.

also... if this is the first time you'll be doing any running... you'll see the weight drop quick for a 10-20lbs... depending on how hard your training.

oh... one tip when training... don't walk. slow down to a slow jog when you need a break... then speed back up. it's like temp training (where you sprint, jog, sprint, jog, ect) but gets you used to jogging through the pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
Yeah, be sure to wear a bra, brah.

:
is that Stu!?
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:16 PM   #36
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBBs15 View Post

not saying your gonna set any records, but that's not what it's about anyways. 13.6 miles isn't as long as you'd think.

start by doing a couple 5k's and 10k's... as long as you can finish a 10k with out stopping or feeling like you "must stop" you'll be fine come the .5 marathon.
Yes, yes it is... It's exactly as long as I think it is. 13.6 miles. A distance that makes me tired, or maybe dead.

Quote:
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:23 PM   #37
Flexin
AMA Supersport

I thought about doing one before. Then I thought about how it involved running and realized that I don't like running anymore so I changed my mind.

Good luck with that and have fund.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:06 PM   #38
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorok View Post
Drewp, try out http://www.halhigdon.com. Lots of good information including a training schedule, equipment recommended, and stories. Good luck.
That's the schedule I. Am going to use

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:06 PM   #39
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralynne View Post
to each their own.
MY reason: set and ACHIEVE a goal. My body takes the "pounding" just fine - I have great knees, hips, back. I've lost some weight (about 40 pounds) but I'm still over 200 pounds and still running. I've got a 'short' 8k tonight. You don't have to LOOK like an athlete to BE an athlete.
and I DID make my body "magically" adjust. I wasn't the fastest out there but I wasn't the slowest by long shot. So fuckyouverymuch.
To each their own.
First, no you are not going to magically change your body in 2.5 months. Saying you couldn't walk two minutes is highly exagerating, you just didn't want to go any farther. I was speaking of loosing weight and being able to do long distance runs in 2.5 months, not brisk walk pace 13 miles.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:31 PM   #40
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

I have 3 half marathons planned this year - August, November, December.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-homo View Post
I can't wait to hear the post-race write up about how much he hates himself.
Half marathon - it's not terrible. You can go run it with some training, but your recovery is going to be a bitch afterward and you will be hating yourself. I had only ran a 10K before running my first 1/2 and I was hating life afterward. I ran the entire time, but I couldn't walk once I got home a couple hours later. I was messed up, especially since I ended up throwing up once I got home.

I learned ICE BATH...FTW!!! They help recovery even though they are hard to convince yourself to get into them. It doesn't have to be ice, but the coldest water you can handle for 5-10 minutes, mainly for the legs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoYZF View Post
Kind of my thought too. The only time I considered it was back when I was actually a distance runner and could run 12+ miles without many problems. Now I lift but dont do nearly as much cardio and have considered training for halfs and possibly even a full marathon but I dont like all the work that it would take to get in good enough shape to do well at either of them.
- you are close enough to sucker you into doing a half with me... you better watch it!

Quote:
But wtf is up with the man bleeding nips?
Not training in the shirt you race in or lack of body glide. Make sure that whatever you are going to race in, you train in.

Quote:

I always thought a half marathon = 13.1?

Quote:
Definitely do some shorter distance racing prior to, but I think you need to push farther than a 10K. See comment above.

Quote:
oh... one tip when training... don't walk. slow down to a slow jog when you need a break... then speed back up. it's like temp training (where you sprint, jog, sprint, jog, ect) but gets you used to jogging through the pain.
Agreed. I walked during my first race a couple Saturday's ago (trail run with steep climbs) and it was very hard to start running after I allowed myself to walk. Just keep a nice steady pace to start to build endurance, then mix in tempo runs to increase your speed.

I use RunnersWorld Smart Coach for my training plan.

If you don't have a lot of time to get your miles in do two-a-days, run in the morning then again in the evening. When you race a 5K; do a longer warm up, race, then run the course or part of it a second time to get in your miles. Make sure you give yourself some rest too so your body can heal/repair iteself.

Also, don't increase your miles too quickly as it increases your risk for injury.

And get fitted properly for a good pair of running shoes. They don't have to be the most expensive on the market to feel good, mine are all on the lower end around $85-$100, but they feel good as soon as I put them on. No break in period required. If they don't feel good, try another pair until you find the perfect ones. Example - I bought trail shoes on Thursday night, 1 mile on the treadmill Friday at lunch, 7 mile trail run Saturday morning - no problems. Another pair, 1 mile on the treadmill, 3.5 mile race - no problems.

I'm by no means an expert but I've done a few halfs and plan on doing more. I also like to run so spend a lot of time reading and researching this stuff.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote