Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 06-23-2011, 12:46 AM   #31
Fleck750
Spiker bike

Moto: KZ750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
Now you know why The South didn't want to give up on slavery.
Thank you.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:23 AM   #32
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
My thoughts exactly GA messed up and now I gotta pay extra for blue berries
Buy Canadian. We's got lots

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:26 AM   #33
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
If incarceration isn't working, change the system. As of right now, you have a whole heaping shit pile of incarcerated people who will never repeat offend because they did not enjoy being locked up like rats.

The minute you let your government balance the books off of your inmates is the day you see a much larger percentage of your population in prison..
For some reason simple incarceration isn't as effective in the US, as a deterrent to recidivism, as it is in Canada. It might have to do with the nature of the offences that they're putting people away for, minimum sentencing guidelines, or something else completely. Makes me sooooo glad that our Conservative government seems to think that we need American style sentencing reforms

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:56 AM   #34
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

The Valdosta Daily times this morning ran an article about using probationers to assist with the issue, paying off their fines and receiving pay for working. (I'd insert the article details but the coroner took it and is hiding in the bathroom with it. *sigh*)

Apparently one farmer had a contest with his regular workers and the probationers to see how many trucks they could fill. For the 6 trucks his workers filled, the probies filled 1. 1 whole truck.

Whats ever sadder? They all get paid the same, minimum wage, BUT for every bucket of produce they filled, they got additional money. The regular workers make as much as $20 an hour. I'd go pick groceries for that kinda money. I work for the City and dont do nearly that well. The probationers have the option to do the same and make good money, yet they still dont. This is the same thing we'll see if we make it statewide and use prisoners as well.

We use Community Service Workers (Probationers and those working off fines since they cant pay cash) and we have to babysit them like toddlers. They have to be supervised AT ALL TIMES, because the moment we turn around, they sit down. Or run off pretending to work and chill out sleeping somewhere. They get no credit for jacking around, yet they still do it, and dont care. They also dont care if they get sent to jail for not completing their programs.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:07 AM   #35
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
If incarceration isn't working, change the system. As of right now, you have a whole heaping shit pile of incarcerated people who will never repeat offend because they did not enjoy being locked up like rats.

The minute you let your government balance the books off of your inmates is the day you see a much larger percentage of your population in prison..
Right, because we already have the lowest prison populations per capita in the world...

I am offering a change in the system. Instead of letting these people sit around all day, doing nothing, make them productive. Instill a work ethic... something they are obviously lacking.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:43 PM   #36
Fleck750
Spiker bike

Moto: KZ750

Quote:
Originally Posted by the chi View Post
They have to be supervised AT ALL TIMES, because the moment we turn around, they sit down. Or run off pretending to work and chill out sleeping somewhere. They get no credit for jacking around, yet they still do it, and dont care. They also dont care if they get sent to jail for not completing their programs.
This is my workplace.
I was told by the management that we have to put up with a certain amount of slackers. Needless to say, I don't think much of him.

And work ethic? You got to be kidding. Out of the hundred people I work with, 10% know what the hell it means. The other 90% are just there to collect a pay check, who gives a shit about doing the work?
Old 06-23-2011, 01:42 PM   #37
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Right, because we already have the lowest prison populations per capita in the world...

I am offering a change in the system. Instead of letting these people sit around all day, doing nothing, make them productive. Instill a work ethic... something they are obviously lacking.
Shooting every one of them is a change as well. It doesn't mean it's a change for the better. They're sitting around all day caged up. That's their punishment.

How about you just stop sending people to prison and force them to work? If all you care about is balancing the books, you'll save money on both ends..
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:52 PM   #38
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Quote:
Shooting every one of them is a change as well. It doesn't mean it's a change for the better. They're sitting around all day caged up. That's their punishment.

How about you just stop sending people to prison and force them to work? If all you care about is balancing the books, you'll save money on both ends..
I'm a big fan of that as well.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:17 PM   #39
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
I am offering a change in the system.
No you're not. You're just "gaming" the system.

You're just talking about taking advantage of prisoners, many of whom shouldn't even be there, victims of this absurd war on drugs.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:32 PM   #40
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
No you're not. You're just "gaming" the system.

You're just talking about taking advantage of prisoners, many of whom shouldn't even be there, victims of this absurd war on drugs.
Shouldn't be there? You mean they didn't break the law?