Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Track > MotoGP

Old 05-16-2011, 11:46 AM   #41
anthonyk
WERA White Plate

Moto: '01 Aprilia Falco

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSGregman View Post
A xontroverserial crash doesn't make the racing any more exciting. That race was a snore until that point...a parade.
Yeah, those were two separate points. The race got a lot more interesting in the second half or so, even without Simoncelli's dumbass move.

Last edited by anthonyk; 05-16-2011 at 11:51 AM..
anthonyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:50 AM   #42
anthonyk
WERA White Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
See, I had no idea what all the bitching about Simo was about. Maybe it was in practices and warm ups and just not televised. But he sure went out and proved everyone right.

I mean I was even mad at Lorenzo for accusing him publicly, even more so after Jorge knocked Dovi upright early on. But then...I cant excuse that move and the consequences for Pedro and honda.

Wonder what could have possessed Casey to punch Depuniet? That boy has to get his meds right or I cant root for him any more.
Stoner was on a fast lap and powering out of the corner, while DePuniet was loafing along. DeP looked back and saw Stoner coming, and tried to move out of the way, but ended up cutting over in front of him. (Not sure why he didn't just hold his line.)
Old 05-16-2011, 02:52 PM   #43
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

I read the story, but I guess I am old school. Punch me on the warm up lap for any reason and you likely wont make the next corner...

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:11 PM   #44
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
I read the story, but I guess I am old school. Punch me on the warm up lap for any reason and you likely wont make the next corner...
You should read it again... it wasn't the warm-up lap, it was qualifying and RdP hosed 2 of Casey's laps by riding slow on the race line near start/finish.

From what I've read, that's been a pretty big issue during qualifying. People ride slow along the race line, waiting for someone to come by they can latch onto for a tow.

Last edited by fasternyou929; 05-16-2011 at 03:15 PM..
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:23 PM   #45
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Warm up, Qualifying, Race, wouldnt make me any mind. As I read it they spoke about it during the "safety" moan and pout session.

If having someone follow you pisses you off then ride faster. If they are slow or stopped on the racing line that is terrible and I know it kills your attempt but make a protest...Or find the guy at his motor home and do it right...Just dont show your ass

Arkriders.com
Old 05-16-2011, 04:25 PM   #46
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

I don't disagree he should have handled it differently, I only said something because the difference bewteen someone screwing up 2 qualifying laps vs. your warm up lap is night and day.

Have you ever raced or done a track day? Just curious. No matter what your skill level, it's easier to go faster when you have a rabbit to chase. It's great when you are the one following, not so much when you're the rabbit being used to lower your competitors qualifying time and show them where they can pick up speed around the track.
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:39 PM   #47
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasternyou929 View Post
I don't disagree he should have handled it differently, I only said something because the difference bewteen someone screwing up 2 qualifying laps vs. your warm up lap is night and day.

Have you ever raced or done a track day? Just curious. No matter what your skill level, it's easier to go faster when you have a rabbit to chase. It's great when you are the one following, not so much when you're the rabbit being used to lower your competitors qualifying time and show them where they can pick up speed around the track.
They can also see where youre slower and faster which can help wityh passing in the race.

I agree on getting a tow, whenever I either follow someone or see a bike off in the distance my goal is to catch them and if/when I do and pass them I am like ok now what
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:40 PM   #48
shmike
Follower

Quote:

Honestly, I don't see anything wrong with getting a tow but I can see how the faster guys would be annoyed by it.

What I would have a problem with is them waiting ON THE RACE LINE for a tow.

Want to follow a fast guy? Fine: Ride along the grass until he passes you.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:30 PM   #49
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Quote:

Yeah, I raced (endurance and sprint) for many years. Never qualifying though, always gridded by points, entry time, or draw in. And I agree following a faster someone to learn the line is a good deal as long as you dont crash them getting in behind.

I think that would be something to use in P1 and 2 but not in Qualifying. If you did your homework that should be just you and the track, after all, if you can't do the time, your gonna get blown into the weeds in lap one no matter where you start...

Arkriders.com
Old 05-16-2011, 08:17 PM   #50
anthonyk
WERA White Plate

I could have sworn that punching incident from Stoner was during the Sunday morning warmup, not qualifying.

Edit: Yep, WUP: http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2011/w...ort+le+mans+gp

Last edited by anthonyk; 05-16-2011 at 08:31 PM..