Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 03-10-2008, 09:39 AM   #41
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
I love my PP's. They haven't failed me yet..
I've heard they get "nervous" and "skittish" unless you have really good pavement "racetrack smooth." Anyway, mileage on them sucks...
Old 03-10-2008, 09:43 AM   #42
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenix_Rider View Post
I've heard they get "nervous" and "skittish" unless you have really good pavement "racetrack smooth." Anyway, mileage on them sucks...
I dont find that to be true.. And mileage on such a sticky tire is expected to suck. Show me a tire that performs just as well but gets better mileage.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:38 AM   #43
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Pilot Power. Period.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:37 AM   #44
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

I'm really curious how hard people are riding, and what comparisons you've made to come to the decision of which you see is the *best*. I mean, it's kind of like what brand of glove you wear... or what kind of bike you ride.

Personally, I love the way the Dunlops get up to temp... STICKY and really great feel. That is, until they start to go. Once they go, they are booger and snot... GONE.

The Pirellis don't ever seem to get to a temp that makes me trust them. Or, maybe they get to temp, but don't ever seem sticky. Well, in comparison anyway.

Michelins have always been more expensive and difficult to get. And, the reviews at the track here have been sketchy... so I haven't personally tried them.

With the options in front of me, Avon and Conti are out.

So, do you have more of a reason for buying the tires that you do... other than "because"?

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:41 AM   #45
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
I'm really curious how hard people are riding, and what comparisons you've made to come to the decision of which you see is the *best*. I mean, it's kind of like what brand of glove you wear... or what kind of bike you ride.

Personally, I love the way the Dunlops get up to temp... STICKY and really great feel. That is, until they start to go. Once they go, they are booger and snot... GONE.

The Pirellis don't ever seem to get to a temp that makes me trust them. Or, maybe they get to temp, but don't ever seem sticky. Well, in comparison anyway.

Michelins have always been more expensive and difficult to get. And, the reviews at the track here have been sketchy... so I haven't personally tried them.

With the options in front of me, Avon and Conti are out.

So, do you have more of a reason for buying the tires that you do... other than "because"?

Great question. I originally bought the Pilot Powers because they were all the rage. I love them. My bike turned in quicker. They come up to temp quickly. They inspire confidence. I've never felt them slide on me. Even when cold.

Then again I'm not Valentino Rossi....so I the tires are capable of more than I will ever give them.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:44 AM   #46
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
Great question. I originally bought the Pilot Powers because they were all the rage. I love them. My bike turned in quicker. They come up to temp quickly. They inspire confidence. I've never felt them slide on me. Even when cold.

Then again I'm not Valentino Rossi....so I the tires are capable of more than I will ever give them.
True enough, on your last statement... none of us are REALLY testing tires. And, I'm not really one to argue with someone's beliefs. I mean, trusting your tires is HUGE... and I won't mess with that. I guess I'm just curious if people have actually tried other tires, or did they get one they liked and just stuck with it.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:47 AM   #47
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
True enough, on your last statement... none of us are REALLY testing tires. And, I'm not really one to argue with someone's beliefs. I mean, trusting your tires is HUGE... and I won't mess with that. I guess I'm just curious if people have actually tried other tires, or did they get one they liked and just stuck with it.
I came from Dunlop 208's before the Michelins. I really hated them. They slid all the time. I had very little confidence with them. Didn't trust them at all. The PP's where a night and day difference.

I'm just saying that there are probly alot of people on this board that are faster than I am....but for what I do the PP's work. Even on the track. As I get faster on the track I'll move up to PP 2CT's or Pilot Race. But thats a while off.

Quote:
Old 03-10-2008, 12:32 PM   #48
05svr650
Supporting Vendor

Moto: wide open throttle

I came from Dunlop Qualifiers. Spending every weekend riding "the dragon" you learn a lot about your tires and how they handle different situations. Me riding my SV650, I would have never thought I could slide my tires...wrong. After 2 or 3 spirited runs thru the 11 mile stretch I would start pushing the limits, the harder I pushed the more my rear would slide. I got to the point where I could dial a slide on any corner that I chose. Then came the day when they gave all they could give. I went down 2 times in one day. When the dunlops were finished they were finished, no signs nothing, just gone.

I've since switched to PP. These definately are not "dial a slide" tires. No matter how hard I try I can only slide them when they are not up to temp. Even then I get 4 small hops before they break loose. At this point in my riding abilities I am not able to push the PP's to their limits.

just my .02

www.JandBcycle.com
05svr650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:37 PM   #49
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

I had the q's stock on my RR. They pretty much slid no matter if you wanted them to or not. I hated those tires.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:39 PM   #50
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

i had dunlops on the zx6r and i slid on me in a couple turns and i lost all confidence in them, i bought a set of pp and never had a problem on them either from the zx6r or the torquey rc51 they held up well enough, i run 32 psi and get ~4k miles, i had to chose between dunlops and metzlers, i put on some miles at a brisk pace 2 up and never felt a hiccup or wiggle, but ill wait till i put some harder solo miles on it before the jury comes in on them and see how long they last to see if they are a viable option

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote