Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 03-05-2009, 12:16 PM   #51
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Just got a call from the Sheriff's Dept. stating that my "Renewed" Conceal Carry Permit was in and could be picked up at anytime.

My current permit expires 3/9/09 so I was cutting it kind of close.

My conceal carry most of the time is a Glock 27 with a plus one mag.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:43 PM   #52
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeptus_Minor View Post
Three easy answers.

1. the Luby's massacre of 1991
2. the VA Tech massacre of 2007
3. the Colorado church shooting spree of 2007

All of these incidents are cases where -one- armed, firearms proficient citizen could have ended a senseless rampage that killed or wounded unarmed victims.

Ok I'm not gonna take the time to look up these incidents but on the whole,quite frankly,who says that an armed citizen could have stopped it? Was everyone killed,who's to say that an armed "hero" in the group might not have gotten more people killed? Haven't there ever been situations when a "hero" got a bunch of people killed that might have otherwise survived?
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:52 PM   #53
Amorok
Issukangitok

Moto: '06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

Look man, when the nutjob runs into the liquor store waving a gun, you go ahead and lay on the floor like you're told. When he starts firing shots you can piss yourself or pray to your impotent gods. But while you're crying, look for the guy keeping himself alive, I'm easy to spot.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:00 PM   #54
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

Where I am, if you go down into gulfport, and those of you who live in the tampa/st pete area know what I'm talking about, there have been robberies lately where people are shot for NO good reason. In such instances carrying gives you the option to shoot them for a damn good reason should you feel so compelled to save the judicial system some money.

I dont give a damn if you dont like or want to carry, but I'm DAMN sure gonna carry if it helps swing the odds in my favor in a robbery or mugging scenario. anything that keeps me alive and protects others, I'm sure as hell not gonna turn down.

holy shit this topic got long fast. guns are like religion, some believe in em some dont.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:03 PM   #55
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheBiker View Post
I dont give a damn if you dont like or want to carry, but I'm DAMN sure gonna carry if it helps swing the odds in my favor in a robbery or mugging scenario. anything that keeps me alive and protects others, I'm sure as hell not gonna turn down.

Bingo !!
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:04 PM   #56
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieDNA01 View Post
I want to carry because I have seen REPEATEDLY that police do NOT respond in enough time to help people. I live in the suburbs of Nashville and was woken up a few weeks ago to screaming outside. Turns out a guy and girl got in a fight and were beating the shit out of each other. Both were drunk. I ended up calling the cops saying "this could get ugly". It took them 25 mins to show up. What could have happened in 25mins? People think the cops are like the calvelry that is going to save you. They mostly seem to be a clean up crew to me. I don't want to have to rely on them for my safety.

And I have been mugged, I had my arm grabbed on my motorcycle by a guy at night. He took off when a truck pulled up just in time. I have had a lead pipe pulled on our riding group cause some rednecks in the hilled didn't want us on "their roads" and I have had a meth head threaten to kill/myself and riding buddies cause we "looked at him funny" Shit happens and I don't want to EVER feel helpless.
Ok well,the debate is a "carry" permit and not the right to have guns in your home,so you could have grabbed a rifle or other gun and shot that guy(or woman) if you really wanted to. Although I'm not sure that's the example you really wanted to use. Besides,what threat did that pose to YOU that you required a concealed carry permit? Also,in the everybody should have CCW permits world,both of those people would have had handguns on their person,oh yea that's a GREAT idea...

Okay,Rider may have heard about this,but a while ago a crazy bitch knocked one of the guys in our group off his bike with a pitch fork for the same reason. How would a gun have stopped that? As far as the "mugging" goes,I can understand how a gun may have helped you there but are you really willing to kill someone over the contents of your wallet,all bravado aside,really?

I'm sorry but the "meth-head" situation sounds like there were two of you and one of him (the way you describe it,anyway) maybe you and your friends need to go learn how to fight rather than buy your balls from Smith & Wesson... I mean to me that situation would only have been made worse ending with a dead "meth-head" and you going to jail for manslaughter.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:11 PM   #57
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Ok I'm not gonna take the time to look up these incidents but on the whole,quite frankly,who says that an armed citizen could have stopped it? Was everyone killed,who's to say that an armed "hero" in the group might not have gotten more people killed? Haven't there ever been situations when a "hero" got a bunch of people killed that might have otherwise survived?
Well Clearly not having one didn't help at all!
But if you want to check if these incidents happen in societies where citizens are armed ... Why don't you find a parallel incident in Swiss Society, a place where EVERYONE of military age has a Fully Automatic Rifle or a Handgun.

The Swiss Prove that an armed Society is a Polite Society

One more ethical question for all the anti gunners if you are not willing to accept the responsibility of using deadly force to protect your self your loved ones and your property HOW DARE YOU ASK SOMEONE ELSE TO DO IT FOR YOU!
Old 03-05-2009, 03:17 PM   #58
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorok View Post
Look man, when the nutjob runs into the liquor store waving a gun, you go ahead and lay on the floor like you're told. When he starts firing shots you can piss yourself or pray to your impotent gods. But while you're crying, look for the guy keeping himself alive, I'm easy to spot.

You know better than that by now buddy...but really,exactly how many times have you been in a liquor store while it's being robbed? Again,where do you people live? You all act like you live in the Bronx or South Central,or somewhere. Besides,what if you miss? What if you only wound him and he goes berserk and kills everyone in the store? The store owner has a gun (trust me,I've worked in hoodrat party stores) did that help him?

Anyway,I look forward to meeting you at the rally. Heck bring a piece and we'll go do some target practice together if you'd like. I don't have anything against guns and I'm not against the second amendment,but I don't honestly think that EVERY pencil neck geek that wants to feel "tough" should be able to carry a pistol everywhere they go. It's just an opinion and no amount of name calling or insults is gonna change my mind. I don't want to live in a world where John from accounting tries to stop a bank robbery with a 38 snub nose...
Old 03-05-2009, 03:30 PM   #59
Razor
Token

Moto: '07 Kawasaki Mean Streak Special Edition

Personally, I carry a H&K 45C, great gun to conceal but a bit pricey at about $1100. I also have a S&W M&P .45 thats a full size 10() round clip that, belive it or not, actually conceals really well in an Uncle Mike's inside-the-waistband holster. A lot of people really swear by the 9MM's but for my peace of mind, I'll stick with the .45, and you only lose 2 (or 5) rounds depending on the model. But if you need more than 8 rounds (compact) or 10 rounds (full-size) then you are probably in a situation where a few extra rounds wont mean a lot. The 9MM is kinda like the 5.56 for assault rifles... I've seen instances of people being hit with 9MM and not even intially knowing they have been hit, a .45 tends to leave a lasting impression and even if they had body armor (why you are in a situation that pits you against an armored assailant, who knows) and gives you a chance to put some distance between you.

The few problems with inexpensive guns, regardless of the caliber, are tendencies to jam, most only have fixed sights and aren't sighted in that well (some exceptions of course). Whatever you buy, be sure to take it to the range and fire 50-100 rounds of the ammo you will have it loaded with to make sure it doesnt hang-fire. Some of the cheap ammo people use for range work has a tendency to be less than reliable after a couple rounds due to carbon build-up in the barrel and will cause jams. Taking it to the range also allows you see where the gun fires (esp with fixed sights). Normally this wont be a problem close-up, but a little off center could be the difference in you walking away and being carried on a stretcher or in a bodybag at range differences of as little as 15 feet.

It all comes down to what you are comfortable with and how much you are willing to dish out for said comfort.

One suggestion is to find a range that has loaner guns and see what feels good to you because you could spend $1000 on a really nice gun that you cant shoot properly because of a bad fit.

One of the better cheaper pistol lines is the Glock. Durable, near indestructable even, and starting at only about $400... the S&W M&P series starts about $350 for the 9MM, but the berrettas start about $600 if you are not military or law enforcement...
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:32 PM   #60
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhgunnut View Post
Well Clearly not having one didn't help at all!
But if you want to check if these incidents happen in societies where citizens are armed ... Why don't you find a parallel incident in Swiss Society, a place where EVERYONE of military age has a Fully Automatic Rifle or a Handgun.

The Swiss Prove that an armed Society is a Polite Society

One more ethical question for all the anti gunners if you are not willing to accept the responsibility of using deadly force to protect your self your loved ones and your property HOW DARE YOU ASK SOMEONE ELSE TO DO IT FOR YOU!

Well,everyone knows this but I pulled my duty in the military...some would say that anyone who hasn't served doesn't deserve ANY rights in this country. That sounds about like what you are saying. I should go around armed and be willing to shoot anyone who gets in my face or threatens me in any way. If you break into my car and try to steal my stereo I should shoot you dead. If a "meth-head" tries to start a fight with me I should blow his brains out. Um yep,right. I personally don't want a bunch of armed vigilantes running around "protecting" me if that's alright with you. Besides AGAIN I have never been against people having guns,all I've ever questioned is the NEED (not right,NEED) to have a CONCEALED gun on your person at all times. Hell in many states you can walk around Wyatt Earp style if you want,what's wrong with that? Really,if you are trying to "deter" crime why not advertise you have a gun?

Last edited by Amber Lamps; 03-05-2009 at 03:37 PM..