Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 09-09-2011, 01:55 PM   #51
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Like I said before, IF proper vetting/recruiting/performance measurement took place, higher salaries would be justified. Right now, the teaching field does not attract the best & brightest college grads. Why would they, when they can make twice as much at Procter & Gamble, GE, or Goldman Sachs?
How amazingly intelligent and talented do you have to be to teach 3rd grade? Or hell, even middle school? Fuck it, HS?

You start talking high level AP HS courses and college, then yeah, you'll want the best and brightest... $30k/year to teach 1st graders how to sound out words and write their name doesn't seem too bad to me...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:04 PM   #52
dubbs
Multistrada

Quote:
The average income was still just $33,000 in 2008, according to IRS data.
http://money.cnn.com/2011/02/16/news...lass/index.htm

Those teachers making 55k and 60k are a lot more than 33k.
Daily Driver - 2011 Toyota Prius - Black
Beater - 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid - Dust Colored
dubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:15 PM   #53
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
I work 10-12 hour days, don't get weekends off, deal with adult brats all day, and get 6 paid holidays per year... teachers complaining about not making money can kiss my fucking ass... There are plenty of people, doing more, dealing with more, and getting paid less.
Just like I wouldn't want a career as a teacher..
I wouldn't want whatever job\career you do either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:24 PM   #54
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
I wouldn't want to be a teacher.
Sure you work 9-10 months a year but you end up working 12 hour days and several of those hours are spent dealing with brats and bureaucrats.
In my county, those that make it past probation start at a salary appropriate for the area and increases with continuing education and some other crap.
NYC City teachers are paid with cum drenched food stamps shat out the back of city rats and salary increases are delivered by lawsuit infested bullets.

I think upstate teachers are paid with email forwards and homemade raspberry jam.
My sister is a teacher in the Miller Place School District. She makes good money, has great benefits, and loves her job. Personally, I couldn't do it. I fucking hate kids of all ages and wish the majority of them dead.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:27 PM   #55
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
How amazingly intelligent and talented do you have to be to teach 3rd grade? Or hell, even middle school? Fuck it, HS?

You start talking high level AP HS courses and college, then yeah, you'll want the best and brightest... $30k/year to teach 1st graders how to sound out words and write their name doesn't seem too bad to me...
Up here, you need at least a masters and if you are teaching math or science you have to have your major in math or science.

Elementary school teachers dont make as much as HS teachers and I think it is those folks (elementary school) that screw with statistics around teachers salaries.

Quote:
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
Old 09-09-2011, 02:38 PM   #56
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Up here, you need at least a masters and if you are teaching math or science you have to have your major in math or science.

Elementary school teachers dont make as much as HS teachers and I think it is those folks (elementary school) that screw with statistics around teachers salaries.
A Masters to teach 3rd grade?

That leaves only two reasonable conclusions:

1. Paul is full o' shit.

2. If it is true, the school system has more than enough qualified applicants to be picky which means that they are an attractive employer which means that the compensation package is at least fair if not generous.

I like option 1.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:06 PM   #57
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
A Masters to teach 3rd grade?

That leaves only two reasonable conclusions:

1. Paul is full o' shit.

2. If it is true, the school system has more than enough qualified applicants to be picky which means that they are an attractive employer which means that the compensation package is at least fair if not generous.

I like option 1.
School districts in my area are very desirable for teaching candidates and it is a very competitive market.
aside from NYS requirements -( http://eservices.nysed.gov/teach/cer...Help.do#cfocus ), you have to make it though the vetting process.

So yes for a 3rd grade teacher in many of our districts, you best come to the door with a sparkling reputation and a masters degree.
bitch

Typically...if you luck out and land a job in elementary school, you have to prove that you are working towards a masters otherwise you will booted.
this is how it was explained to me by all deez bitches who be teachers and shit

Quote:

Last edited by pauldun170; 09-09-2011 at 03:08 PM..
Old 09-09-2011, 03:56 PM   #58
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Quote:
Just like I wouldn't want a career as a teacher..
I wouldn't want whatever job\career you do either.
Right, but just like these teachers, I love it... And if I didn't, just like teachers, I'd have the option to change career fields...
Old 09-09-2011, 04:04 PM   #59
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Quote:
School districts in my area are very desirable for teaching candidates and it is a very competitive market.
aside from NYS requirements -( http://eservices.nysed.gov/teach/cer...Help.do#cfocus ), you have to make it though the vetting process.

So yes for a 3rd grade teacher in many of our districts, you best come to the door with a sparkling reputation and a masters degree.
bitch

Typically...if you luck out and land a job in elementary school, you have to prove that you are working towards a masters otherwise you will booted.
this is how it was explained to me by all deez bitches who be teachers and shit
Ok... so what does this prove? There are plenty of people getting master's degrees who STILL won't make what teachers do, won't get benefits like they do, and certainly won't get as much time off throughout the year as teachers do...

Just so you know, a Master's degree isn't some magical passport to getting paid six figures... Last time I checked, average earnings difference between having a Master's and having a Bachelor's was only about 10%... that was the primary reason why I never went for it...
Old 09-09-2011, 04:23 PM   #60
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
Ok... so what does this prove?
It proves that I can directly respond to shmike's posts.

Quote: