Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-23-2008, 10:25 PM   #51
Antwanny
WERA White Plate

I understand you need to know the basic kata but i like practicing more real world techniques that will be applicable to my profession/daily life.
________
Chevrolet gpix concept specifications
________
Chrysler drifter history

Last edited by Antwanny; 04-07-2011 at 07:51 PM..
Antwanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:28 PM   #52
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antwanny View Post
I understand you need to know the basic kata but i like practicing more real world techniques that will be applicable to my profession/daily life.
Might I suggest PDR from Tony Blauer then...

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 08:55 AM   #53
rogue
Wanting to Go Back!!!!

Moto: A Twin

I don't know about TKD, but in shotokan, each kata has an application and is built upon a certain attack. They not only discipline but use the series of movements to show an application. Doing a kata in and of itself doesn't make much sense, other than to move from one technique to another. However, they can be applicable in sparring, or kumite, by putting a series of movements/techniques together with better ease, instead of being rough. Practicing kata helps you practice moving from one technique fluidly to another for the best results, whether it be attacking or for defense. It also teaches discipline, basics, etc as you move through your ranks.

There's much to learn from kata alone. Don't think because it looks like a ballet, it's weak. It's not. Next time you spar, try setting your opponent up and using a combination of techniques. Without practice, it's rough and not the best attack...or defense. Kata helps you practice. If you don't like the combinations you're taught in kata, then make your own. Practice those movements in kata form, pretending that you're being attacked and watch how well you learn to move through the techniques in real sparring.

Have you ever tried looking for videos of your katas on youtube? If you look, I'm sure you can find where the kata is actually acted out in a mock attack. Maybe you'll better understand them if you can see a mock attack.

My knee pads may be Air-Ride and chrome plated but I have standards as to who I use them on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonpaco
so you're just a cougar who doesnt hunt.....a domesticated cougar
Myspace
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:32 PM   #54
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
I don't know about TKD, but in shotokan, each kata has an application and is built upon a certain attack. They not only discipline but use the series of movements to show an application. Doing a kata in and of itself doesn't make much sense, other than to move from one technique to another. However, they can be applicable in sparring, or kumite, by putting a series of movements/techniques together with better ease, instead of being rough. Practicing kata helps you practice moving from one technique fluidly to another for the best results, whether it be attacking or for defense. It also teaches discipline, basics, etc as you move through your ranks.

There's much to learn from kata alone. Don't think because it looks like a ballet, it's weak. It's not. Next time you spar, try setting your opponent up and using a combination of techniques. Without practice, it's rough and not the best attack...or defense. Kata helps you practice. If you don't like the combinations you're taught in kata, then make your own. Practice those movements in kata form, pretending that you're being attacked and watch how well you learn to move through the techniques in real sparring.

Have you ever tried looking for videos of your katas on youtube? If you look, I'm sure you can find where the kata is actually acted out in a mock attack. Maybe you'll better understand them if you can see a mock attack.
well said. with our more advanced students, we take the a lower kata and insert people to defend against.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote