Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 10-22-2009, 07:38 AM   #61
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
Are you sure about that? Any temp gauge I have seen will be on the bottom peg at a cold start up and will slowly rise to normal temp over the course of 5 minutes or so. Do they just program that in to fuck with people or is it actually measuring something, like the coolant temp?
The gauge just sits there at zero for the first couple minutes, then all of a sudden when the thermostat opens, it finally starts moving, and goes up to the "normal" position and stays in the exact same place throughout your trip. You could be sitting in stop and go traffic, or cruising on the highway, but the needle stays frozen in the same spot. At least in most cars I've driven. Not to mention they don't give you any markings on the gauge to indicate what the temperature is.

Same thing with oil pressure gauges. Only on certain sports cars is the gauge actually marked with any PSI measurements, and on most cars you don't even see the needle moving in response to blipping the throttle, as it should.

Anyway, it's just an analogy. A measurement that never changes in response to current events is meaningless and does not generate involvement or interest from the public in any way.

Last edited by Homeslice; 10-22-2009 at 07:42 AM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:58 AM   #62
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
The gauge just sits there at zero for the first couple minutes, then all of a sudden when the thermostat opens, it finally starts moving, and goes up to the "normal" position and stays in the exact same place throughout your trip. You could be sitting in stop and go traffic, or cruising on the highway, but the needle stays frozen in the same spot. At least in most cars I've driven. Not to mention they don't give you any markings on the gauge to indicate what the temperature is.

Same thing with oil pressure gauges. Only on certain sports cars is the gauge actually marked with any PSI measurements, and on most cars you don't even see the needle moving in response to blipping the throttle, as it should.

Anyway, it's just an analogy. A measurement that never changes in response to current events is meaningless and does not generate involvement or interest from the public in any way.

I'm pretty sure your oil pump is mechanically driven. So I understand what you're saying. But in most cases there should be a pressure regulating valve/spring that just bleeds off anything above a certain pressure. Once a preset limit is reached, it doesn't exceed it.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:24 AM   #63
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post

From watching the gauge creep up on cold days so the heat can be used instead of just circulating cold air I can tell you none of the cars I have driven with a temp gauge do what you are describing above.

OK, so what system would you suggest for impressing on the American public the need to be aware? Also as I asked before, if you think Airport security is too onerous where do you think cuts should be made?
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote