Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Sports Bar

Old 06-14-2010, 04:53 PM   #61
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

Moto: 03 CBR RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
You don't have to tell me shit about soccer. I played it through middle and high school. I also played Lacrosse. We didn't act nearly as much in lacrosse as we did in soccer.
Thats great, but so did i, and i've continued to play club after highschool, and just played yesterday. But conversely i've also refereed for 10 years, including regional club tournaments and semi-pro games.

and again, lacrosse, you carry sticks and wear pads, more similar to hockey than soccer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
Bullshit.

It is acting and it has become more and more acceptable in soccer over the last decade or so and it sucks.

I'd guess that close to half the calls made in Professional soccer are from little or no contact.
Its not "acceptable". Nobody commends somebody on a good dive. Players know when its a dive, referee's know when its a dive, and fans know when its a dive. But without time-outs and instant replays you put a lot of weight on somebodys shoulder to make the right call. Most of the "acting" calls made arent done in scoring positions. Sometimes its better to just stop play and get things going again, because otherwise the player that doesnt get the call is gonna get pissed and may actually end up hurting somebody. Referee's are very cautious to make calls like that around the penalty area, and almost every time you see the referee make a call INSIDE the 18 you'll see him consult a linesman for a second opinion if there is any chance of a second doubt.

They're supposed to manage the game. They cant let things get out of control, and if they only called the most serious offenses things WILL get out of control. Its that simple. They've also got a lot of leeway with the clock as far as injury time goes. If you just watched the italy game you'd notice that the referee didnt call the game until paraguay cleared the ball.
NONE_too_SOFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 05:27 PM   #62
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONE_too_SOFT View Post
Thats great, but so did i, and i've continued to play club after highschool, and just played yesterday. But conversely i've also refereed for 10 years, including regional club tournaments and semi-pro games.

and again, lacrosse, you carry sticks and wear pads, more similar to hockey than soccer.

Its not "acceptable". Nobody commends somebody on a good dive. Players know when its a dive, referee's know when its a dive, and fans know when its a dive. But without time-outs and instant replays you put a lot of weight on somebodys shoulder to make the right call. Most of the "acting" calls made arent done in scoring positions. Sometimes its better to just stop play and get things going again, because otherwise the player that doesnt get the call is gonna get pissed and may actually end up hurting somebody. Referee's are very cautious to make calls like that around the penalty area, and almost every time you see the referee make a call INSIDE the 18 you'll see him consult a linesman for a second opinion if there is any chance of a second doubt.

They're supposed to manage the game. They cant let things get out of control, and if they only called the most serious offenses things WILL get out of control. Its that simple. They've also got a lot of leeway with the clock as far as injury time goes. If you just watched the italy game you'd notice that the referee didnt call the game until paraguay cleared the ball.
It's more similar to soccer. Strategy and play with rules. You wear minimal pads. Much less than hockey.

It hasn't always been as much of an issue. Refs are just as much a part of this crap as the players. They need to let the shit just happen so these cocks stop doing this shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:55 PM   #63
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
It's more similar to soccer. Strategy and play with rules. You wear minimal pads. Much less than hockey.

It hasn't always been as much of an issue. Refs are just as much a part of this crap as the players. They need to let the shit just happen so these cocks stop doing this shit.
that was my point though. You know first hand how pathetically shallow soccer players are, if they dont get their call they're likely to go for blood next time just to show the ref who's boss.

Example: zidane's last game of his professional career 4 years ago. Italy was giving him shit the entire game, he got pissy, and he layed some fucker out and pretty much lost france the trophy (yes, france would have won if zidane was taking his PK).
Old 06-15-2010, 01:36 AM   #64
Curb
resident gimp

Moto: a big ole steamin pile of nothin

Hey gang, So I got to see my first match yesterday, Holland v Denmark. It was a total experience, nothing that I had ever expierenced at a US sporting event. Today I am heading down to Durban to go and see Spain v Switzerland tomorrow.

Hope everyone is enjoying summer up there. Its f'ing freezing down here, literally, its about 29* outside right now.

Political correctness is killing this country
Curb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:22 AM   #65
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curb View Post
Hey gang, So I got to see my first match yesterday, Holland v Denmark. It was a total experience, nothing that I had ever expierenced at a US sporting event. Today I am heading down to Durban to go and see Spain v Switzerland tomorrow.

Hope everyone is enjoying summer up there. Its f'ing freezing down here, literally, its about 29* outside right now.
Have the vuvuzelas been terrible? They way the media up here is talking they would prefer to be attacked by a swarm of bees than deal with the bee sound from vuvuzelas.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:03 AM   #66
Flexin
AMA Supersport

On the news last night they were talking about how some want them banned from the cup. They also had a doctor talking about how it can and is damaging peoples hearing. He measured one a few inches from the horn and it was around 135 db. Thats fucking loud.

Some started selling ear plugs at the games.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:13 AM   #67
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

lol i still love em. if you close your eyes they really do sound like a huge swarm of bees.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:16 AM   #68
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz88z...eature=related
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:25 PM   #69
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONE_too_SOFT View Post
lol i still love em. if you close your eyes they really do sound like a huge swarm of bees.
They sound like a huge swarm of bees with my eyes open. LOL. I still hate the fucking sound. LOL. You can keep it.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:39 PM   #70
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

nah im just messin around, they are getting pretty old. somebody needs to shoot the vendors selling those fucks...

The announcers are even getting pissed off by them.