Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 04-16-2009, 06:33 PM   #71
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

About this picking up the bike all alone thing: At the Cycle world show, Harley Davidson had an area where they were giving instruction/demonstrations on how to pick a bike up aimed more so for women riders. I forget the exact model used in the demo but recall it weighed just at 700lbs. My wife at 5'2" 120lbs was able to get the bike up using their instructions/technique. Our sport bikes are almost half as light so using the same technique I would think most women could get their bikes back upright.
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:09 PM   #72
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
Spouse teaching = FAIL.

MSF = WIN.
Maybe for the majority, but my husband "taught" me and I think I turned out OK. I suppose the draw back is that I tend to ride more like him, but that isn't completely horrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annawil View Post
For me it's completely a practice issue.

I'd never driven a stickshift before the bike, and I simply wasn't used to it. I always remember to pull in the clutch when coming to a stop....but I've been known to not completely downshift....then trying to startup in say 3rd and killing it. I don't need things to start rolling around down a hill on top of all that if I can't quite reach the ground. (Not that I'm likely to save it anyway should I start to go over. But, at least I have a bit better of a chance of the bike not falling directly on top of me....or maybe I'd just like to think that).

Then there's the whole possibility of not quite getting my tippytoes down quite right and just keep on tipping all the way over. Which is possible hill or no hill.

Maybe someday when I've been riding longer it won't be as big of a deal to me. But, now just isn't that day.
Now that makes sense to me. I had the issue of not getting to 1st gear when I started riding, but quickly learned to make sure I was there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annawil View Post
Yup, but balancing a bike on one tippy toe just isn't and ideal situation for me. I'm fully willing to admit that I tend to over think situations being a Safety Engineer and all. But, it really does all come down to me not being comfortable with the situation unless I can get at least the balls of my feet down. Tippy tip toes just feels too unstable for me.
Lifting weights and having strong leg muscles and balance helps. A could years ago I was lifting very heavy and could tell a difference in how I felt on the bike.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:20 PM   #73
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

I taught my wife how to ride in our driveway, cul de sac and at a local highschool parking lot, then she went to take the MSF class. She felt like the time I spent with her before hand helped her in MSF class.
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:17 AM   #74
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post

I had to go look.
rae, you're a goof
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote