Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 09-12-2011, 08:42 AM   #81
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
I work 10-12 hour days, don't get weekends off, deal with adult brats all day, and get 6 paid holidays per year... teachers complaining about not making money can kiss my fucking ass... There are plenty of people, doing more, dealing with more, and getting paid less.
Bro, your job sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
EMTs, Police, and let's not forget the military get paid jack shit and actually save lives.
lol @ the military and police saving lives. We're talking about the military that drops bombs and the police that do home invasions right?
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:49 AM   #82
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
EMTs, Police, and let's not forget the military get paid jack shit and actually save lives. Infact, let's focus on the military which was brought up earlier.

I don't think a General even makes much more than $150k. Those fuckers have all kinds of responsibility that teachers could never imagine or fathom (when they fail, we literally die). The grunt getting shot at in the middle of some god forsaken country makes less than $20,000. Even a high ranking officer (with a Masters+) doesn't make much more than $55,000 a year.

I doubt anybody in their right mind would say that a teacher has it harder than anyone in the US Military. I'm tired of this "teachers have it tough" bullshit. How about they start improving the education of children and then we'll talk pay raises.
I realize that this doesn't mean a whole lot, compared to what is asked of them, but remember that military personnel have their living expenses paid. My uncle, who retired a colonel, lived like a king with his family in Belgium when working with NATO.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:59 AM   #83
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Plus housing allowances, medical care, re-enlistment bonuses, combat pay, special bonuses for certain MOS's, yada yada.......

One only needs to look at some of the cars owned by "lowly" E3's & E4's.....
Fair enough. To compensate teachers we'll put them on military style housing (which blows, I lived in them), they can go to their military healthcare provider (which blows), spend a year away from their family (which blows) in a hell hole (which most bases are at anyways, and blows), put them through SERE (which I'm sure blows) for an extra $50 a month. Oh yeah, we'll shoot at them too (which blows). After that, teachers can get their pimped out Nissan 350z with its nice Pep-Boys rims.

Kaneman:
Seriously? Did the Air Force bomb your neighbor on accident and did the police raid your house thinking you had blow in there or something?
Old 09-12-2011, 10:11 AM   #84
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
I realize that this doesn't mean a whole lot, compared to what is asked of them, but remember that military personnel have their living expenses paid. My uncle, who retired a colonel, lived like a king with his family in Belgium when working with NATO.
We make good money, and the pay scales are similar. What they get in the form of perks and rebates, we get in terms of allowances.

Their generals HAVE to make more than that. Our commanding officers onboard the ships (3 ringers) make about 170-200k.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:20 AM   #85
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
That's horseshit. The problem is people made a decision about what job is "beneath" them and don't apply for it. Does it suck to go from a career to a shit job? Fuck yes it does, but we can't just let people collect unemployment checks because they don't want to be a ditch digger.

Unemployment is fucking a ridiculous waste of money. It assists some people, but far too many people know how to abuse the fuck out of the system and use it to avoid working for as long as possible because it makes it way too easy for people to be sedentary. The money would be better off going to job stimulus programs and getting people who are unemployed trained into skill sets that would broaden their appeal to employers. Instead, we coddle these fucking idiots and promote laziness and poor work ethic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Doing something, anything, is preferable to doing nothing. Unemployment encourages doing nothing.
Damn fine statements!

I know several folks of the "I'm too good for that job so I refuse to do anything" ilk and even after unemployment ran out they depend on other people to bail them out b/c they are too damn lazy to do something "beneath" them. When you paint houses for a living or do handy man work and have zero education, I'm thinking the dollar tree would look pretty good when you arent bringing in ANY money to support your family. But wait, you can call your 80 year old parents who are retired and living on SS and what they set aside and get them to help you out when you blow all your wife's paycheck on cigs and beer.

I work in public utilities and I get calls all the time about folks not wanting to pay their bill b/c their "check" hasn't come in yet, even tho they got it at the beginning of the month when bills were due and blew it on other things than paying for water and power.

I have no pity. Turn off your cable TV, your cell phone and that internet service and take care of the important things, like rent and utilities.

Quote:
Fair enough. To compensate teachers we'll put them on military style housing (which blows, I lived in them), they can go to their military healthcare provider (which blows), spend a year away from their family (which blows) in a hell hole (which most bases are at anyways, and blows), put them through SERE (which I'm sure blows) for an extra $50 a month. Oh yeah, we'll shoot at them too (which blows). After that, teachers can get their pimped out Nissan 350z with its nice Pep-Boys rims.
AMEN!! Being a military dependent AND a local govt worker, I dont want to hear shit about how bad teachers have it. My insurance sucks, I cant even get in to see a Dr. without having it scheduled more than a month out, if we lived on base, even as nice as they are it would still suck IF we could even get on the list to GET housing, and my paycheck working for a govt entity is shit. I was also told a few months ago that unless it's life or death, we arent supposed to EVER go to the ER and if we do and they decide it was unneccessary, they wont pay. How's that for all those awesome military benefits?

Lets also consider that if Obama and his successors dont turn things around, my husband wont have a retirement in 10 years when he's done his 20 or more...nor will any of the other military members who put their lives on the line on foreign countries because America wont pull back and take care of home first!
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.

Last edited by the chi; 09-12-2011 at 10:23 AM..
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:42 AM   #86
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by the chi View Post
....AMEN!! Being a military dependent AND a local govt worker, I dont want to hear shit about how bad teachers have it. My insurance sucks, I cant even get in to see a Dr. without having it scheduled more than a month out, if we lived on base, even as nice as they are it would still suck IF we could even get on the list to GET housing, and my paycheck working for a govt entity is shit. I was also told a few months ago that unless it's life or death, we arent supposed to EVER go to the ER and if we do and they decide it was unneccessary, they wont pay. How's that for all those awesome military benefits?

Lets also consider that if Obama and his successors dont turn things around, my husband wont have a retirement in 10 years when he's done his 20 or more...nor will any of the other military members who put their lives on the line on foreign countries because America wont pull back and take care of home first!
The military employs 1.43 MILLON active service personnal and another 848,000 reservists and you wonder why your pay sucks? Does this country need 2 million people for defense when we have weapons to blow the world up 33 times over? Let me answer that for you...no. So....we HAVE to start unending wars in order to fund and keep all these people doing something, even if that something means doing nothing. You simply cannot pay 1.43 million people 100 grand a year plus good healthcare and good retirement ON TOP OF spending billions upon billions in weaponry.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM

Last edited by 101lifts2; 09-13-2011 at 01:44 AM..
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:17 AM   #87
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

If all that you have is weapons to "blow the world up 33 times over", then all that you can do is either blow the world up, or nothing. Not a very effective method of defence.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:11 AM   #88
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
The military employs 1.43 MILLON active service personnal and another 848,000 reservists and you wonder why your pay sucks? Does this country need 2 million people for defense when we have weapons to blow the world up 33 times over? Let me answer that for you...no. So....we HAVE to start unending wars in order to fund and keep all these people doing something, even if that something means doing nothing. You simply cannot pay 1.43 million people 100 grand a year plus good healthcare and good retirement ON TOP OF spending billions upon billions in weaponry.
I'm normally quiet for these types of discussions but this is just a plain narrow view on things. Those folks employed by our armed forces are a million times more important to defense than a million nuclear weapons or other means of "blowing up the world"

Defensive moves (and ultimately, entire wars) are accomplished at the micro level combining up to the macro level.

Decrease personnel levels and keep massive weapons and you just end up with another version of the Cold War. No thanks.

Now, if you're talking about narrowing that focus and removing the people just along for the pay-ride while not really accomplishing anything other than taking up space and replacing them with personnel that will actually work, then sure, that makes more sense. You'll spend more trying to figure out who is just taking up space, however...

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:33 AM   #89
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
I'm normally quiet for these types of discussions but this is just a plain narrow view on things. Those folks employed by our armed forces are a million times more important to defense than a million nuclear weapons or other means of "blowing up the world"

Defensive moves (and ultimately, entire wars) are accomplished at the micro level combining up to the macro level.

Decrease personnel levels and keep massive weapons and you just end up with another version of the Cold War. No thanks.

Now, if you're talking about narrowing that focus and removing the people just along for the pay-ride while not really accomplishing anything other than taking up space and replacing them with personnel that will actually work, then sure, that makes more sense. You'll spend more trying to figure out who is just taking up space, however...
Thanks, particle. I agree. Also, I'd like to point out that of the 1.43 million people the military employs, a very small percentage of them make 100grand. The vast majority who stay past 4 years are in the middle ranks of enlisted, earning more like 35-45k, if that. A lot of the military are enlisted in their first 4 years, so they're earning more like 20k.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:18 AM   #90
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
Thanks, particle. I agree. Also, I'd like to point out that of the 1.43 million people the military employs, a very small percentage of them make 100grand. The vast majority who stay past 4 years are in the middle ranks of enlisted, earning more like 35-45k, if that. A lot of the military are enlisted in their first 4 years, so they're earning more like 20k.
I think 101 was saying we can't increase military pay significantly (the mythical hundred grand) as many people would like because with the number of people in the military it would just be too expensive.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote