Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-16-2010, 03:01 PM   #1
shmike
Follower

Default Safes?

Do you have a safe in your home?

What size and brand are you using?

What do you store in there (guns, jewelry, cash, paperwork, etc.)?

We are shopping for one this weekend and I'm trying to decide what exactly we may need (now & in the future).
Old 07-16-2010, 03:18 PM   #2
Hydrant
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 2003 Suzuki TL1000R, 2002 Honda CBR 600 F4i

My parents have a 1000# gun safe at their house and it is pretty much just gun storage. This one is a Liberty

At our office we have a 10,000#, 2 door jewelers safe that we use to keep some guns in, but mostly for paper work between the business and personal. We also store some of our work backup data in there also. It is a Mosler

If you going to keep paperwork or data, make sure you do some checking on the inside temperature rating of the safe in alotted time frame, and know what the temp rating of the media/data can handle.

Last edited by Hydrant; 07-16-2010 at 03:21 PM..
Hydrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:31 PM   #3
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Good thread, been considering one myself. Are there ones you can bolt or chain up to something? Otherwise, why wouldn't a burglar simply carry off with it?
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:34 PM   #4
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Classified. Shit, I've said too much.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:39 PM   #5
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Good thread, been considering one myself. Are there ones you can bolt or chain up to something? Otherwise, why wouldn't a burglar simply carry off with it?
Yes.

Most anything other than a "firebox" should be able to be bolted to the floor.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:41 PM   #6
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

At the moment we only have a large gun safe in our house that is bolted to some wall studs - Sentry is the brand. Mainly to keep them out of the hands of those who shouldn't get to them. In the future I plan on buying a large fireproof safe that can be bolted to the concrete floor in the basement - for valuables and important items, etc.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:50 PM   #7
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeNetworX View Post
At the moment we only have a large gun safe in our house that is bolted to some wall studs - Sentry is the brand. Mainly to keep them out of the hands of those who shouldn't get to them. In the future I plan on buying a large fireproof safe that can be bolted to the concrete floor in the basement - for valuables and important items, etc.

I'm thinking we will probably go with a gun safe.

The main reason is price.

Realistically we won't be storing more than $20k or so in valuables in there and most of it would be covered by insurance. Paperwork can almost always be replaced and the truly important docs are kept in a sfety deposit box.

I just can't justify spending $3k or more to keep our cameras and some jewelry away from the cleaning lady.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:08 PM   #8
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

I do not have a safe.

My parents have a safe and I keep some stuff in there like my will and maybe a couple of other documents.

They have a small document safe/firebox and also a gun safe.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:15 PM   #9
julie j
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: F650GS & XT250

Try craigslists. That is were we got ours. It was a lot cheaper but we did have to figure out how to move it. If you purchase new you can have it delivered. Ours is about 5’ high and 3.5 wide. We store guns, jewelry, passports, etc. Be sure to compare burn temperatures and times.
julie j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:29 PM   #10
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

I have 3 safes in my house 2 are Sentry brand. Frankly they are run of the mill mild steel safes with mediocre locks and mostly they hold guns. The 2 larger Safes are tucked into out of the way places but because of their size are easy enough to find
I have one higher quality quick access safe that has a hand gun some jewelery and on occasion some cash. this one is well hidden.
All are Lag bolted in place from inside the safes
I have then primarily to please the insurance company and to keep out the lazy
A relative of mine once explained to me as he was picking a 4 tumbler lock. "Locks keep out the honest and the lazy"
The issue with any Safe is that i announces that there is something worth stealing, a thief with any ambition will concentrate his efforts on the safe.
I have a brother in-law that came up with what I consider an elegant solution , He bought an inexpensive (Wal Mart I think ) lock box lag bolted it to his basement wall painted is grey mounted a large breaker handle on the side and ran dummy conduit in and out of it. It secures everything away from prying eyes (and his 10 year old twins) and doesn't announce "This is where the good stuff is"